Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 5th April 2020, 14:31   #1
starway
Regular poster

MG ZT +

Smile Cruise control master switch not lighting up

Hi guys,

I have a problem with my 2003 cdti Mk 1
I was messing around with the console area and removed everything including the cruise.control button. Upon reconnecting it doesn't light anymore. The button used to work perfectly and cruise.control was working perfectly for over 8 years. Can anyone tell me what to test? Can I probe the wires going to the cruise control switch with a multimeter to check it ? I tried but couldnt fit a multimeter in the socket to check? How can I test if its somehow the switch which has broken in the process of removing the wires. Can anyone suggest a way of fixing it? I would appreciate any help. I have searched the forums but I couldnt find any problems to do with the masted switch not lighting up when pressed. Most people say this switch lights up but then have other problems ?

Please help

Thanks

James
starway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2020, 14:43   #2
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by starway View Post
Hi guys,

I have a problem with my 2003 cdti Mk 1
I was messing around with the console area and removed everything including the cruise.control button. Upon reconnecting it doesn't light anymore. The button used to work perfectly and cruise.control was working perfectly for over 8 years. Can anyone tell me what to test? Can I probe the wires going to the cruise control switch with a multimeter to check it ? I tried but couldnt fit a multimeter in the socket to check? How can I test if its somehow the switch which has broken in the process of removing the wires. Can anyone suggest a way of fixing it? I would appreciate any help. I have searched the forums but I couldnt find any problems to do with the masted switch not lighting up when pressed. Most people say this switch lights up but then have other problems ?

Please help

Thanks

James
My own plays up, sometimes not activating when switched on (the entire switch). I think the something within has become loose or moved, and it needs to be dismantled and rebuilt.

Try first unplugging and plugging it back in, making sure the plug is securely seated.

The switch can be taken apart, although I doubt the led has packed up.

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2020, 17:21   #3
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

If you have an ABS fault from the NSF wheel sensor it will disable the cruise master switch.
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2020, 18:34   #4
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Welcome to the forum James. Your first post in EIGHT years.---

I hope the above posts have helped you solve your problem.
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2020, 18:38   #5
Rick-sta
This is my second home

MG ZT 2.0 CDTI+ in Typhoon, MG TF 135 in Typhoon & Rover 75 Connoisseur CDTI SE in Pearl Black

Thanked 2,827 Times in 1,462 Posts

does any lighting work on the switch at all? is the backlighting work when you switch your sidelights on?

One thing to check is if you've plugged the correct plug into the cruise control switch. I had a car here some time ago where the cruise had never worked whilst the current owner had owned it, and turned out there was 2 identical square black plugs behind the centre console, one was for cruise and I think the other one was for traffic master or something like that, and at some point the wrong plug had been plugged into the cruise control switch.
How to restore cloudy projector headlights Link
Rick-sta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2020, 10:35   #6
starway
Regular poster

MG ZT +

Default Hi everyone

Thanks for your replies and I know 8 years is shocking right, truth is I’ve had nothing to contribute as I have been learning about the car all this time. Although this forum has saved my car on numerous occasions so thanks everyone !

I have found only one black connector at the back that would fit it can’t see another one. I have had the whole console out. I don’t know if I have an abs fault ? There is no warning or light on the dash? I have had the cruise switch in and out many times to see and it feels perfectly connected but doesn’t light up.

I haven’t actually tried the cruise control if it’s working though so I may do that soon. I just know that the illumination on the switch doesn’t work. But I’m presuming the actually switch is not working and not just the led as all the backlights on my other instruments and switches work !

Now I have done some mods which involve using the side light wire that runs throughout the car the red and creme one that deals with illumination and side lights. I have spliced that at many points to connect led lights but that’s the only mod really with the wires. And the sidelights and illumination still work perfectly.

Is there any checks I can do with a multi metre or could anyone specify the colours so the wires going to the master switch ? Do you think a good idea would be to buy another switch to see ?

Thanks for your responses guys

Much appreciated

Thanks

James
Old 6th April 2020, 12:40   #7
starway
Regular poster

MG ZT +

Default Cruise light

Does the cruise switch illuminate like the rest of the instruments or only a green led when it’s on. I can only remember seeing a green led next to it when it’s on ?
Old 7th April 2020, 19:09   #8
starway
Regular poster

MG ZT +

Default Cruise control wiring

Hi can anyone tell me the cruise control colour wires that go to the main switch ? To make sure I have the right wire going to the cruise control master switch. Mine seems to have a thick green wire that no one else has mentioned when I have been searching.

This is the 6 pin wire I’m talking about, the one that goes to the back of the switch.
Old 7th April 2020, 19:11   #9
starway
Regular poster

MG ZT +

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick-sta View Post
does any lighting work on the switch at all? is the backlighting work when you switch your sidelights on?

One thing to check is if you've plugged the correct plug into the cruise control switch. I had a car here some time ago where the cruise had never worked whilst the current owner had owned it, and turned out there was 2 identical square black plugs behind the centre console, one was for cruise and I think the other one was for traffic master or something like that, and at some point the wrong plug had been plugged into the cruise control switch.
Hi,

I checked the switch with the sidelights and it does not illuminate with them.

Thanks
Old 7th April 2020, 19:29   #10
Rick-sta
This is my second home

MG ZT 2.0 CDTI+ in Typhoon, MG TF 135 in Typhoon & Rover 75 Connoisseur CDTI SE in Pearl Black

Thanked 2,827 Times in 1,462 Posts

Quote:
Does the cruise switch illuminate like the rest of the instruments or only a green led when it’s on. I can only remember seeing a green led next to it when it’s on ?
Quote:
Hi can anyone tell me the cruise control colour wires that go to the main switch ? To make sure I have the right wire going to the cruise control master switch. Mine seems to have a thick green wire that no one else has mentioned when I have been searching.

This is the 6 pin wire I’m talking about, the one that goes to the back of the switch.
Quote:
Hi,

I checked the switch with the sidelights and it does not illuminate with them.

Thanks
The amber backlight on the cruise control switch should illuminate whenever your sidelights are on. When you press the cruise control switch the green indicator LED on the switch will illuminate to indicate that cruise is enabled.

The wires for the cruise control master switch plug are:

Pin 1: white/blue wire (goes to the interior fuse box - fuse 26 - worth checking just in case it's blown)
Pin 2: red/white wire sidelight circuit. This is for the amber illumination on the switch
pin 3: black (earth)
pin 5: blue/orange (goes to the cruise control ECU)

Since your switch is not lighting up at all, I would check the pins on the plug for the switch to ensure none are bent.

It could be the pins on the little black switch inside may have a bad connection, this is something I have to check when I reassemble the center console switches after doing LED colour conversions. You can carefully take the switch apart to access the little black switch, the black switch just pulls off and there are 4 small pins. Push these little pins outwards a tiny bit and then refit to the switch and test it.

I think there's a connection issue at the plug for your cruise control switch, as you say the amber backlighting and the green indicator LED both don't work.
How to restore cloudy projector headlights Link
Rick-sta is offline   Reply With Quote