Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 7th April 2020, 07:51   #11
MissMoppet
Posted a thing or two

R 75 Tourer diesel Conny 2002, V6 Conny saloon petrol 2003

Default Aber in Deutschland . . .

In Germany, surprisingly, it's every two years.

Dave
Old 7th April 2020, 08:25   #12
BRG75
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer, 9th & 10th Rovers

Yes, and it has been a 2 year test, since at least the 1960's.
I used to work for an American company, whose European headquarters were in Germany.

Got to know the German Engineers, whilst on training courses over there, and they were very fearful of when their cars were tested. No company cars, we all ran private cars on business mileage.

The standards were high, and "efficiently" enforced. In practise the mechanics of the car had to be capable of lasting another 2 years.

Also, they had to display a disc on their number plate, giving the expiry of the MoT.

Regards

Mike

Previously
2002 75 1.8 auto Club SE,
2000 75 1.8 auto Classic SE (Company Car)
1997 420 (Company Car)
1996 216 cabriolet,
198? 213 VDP
1986 SD1 V8 VDP,
1968 2000TC,
1966 2000.
BRG75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2020, 08:54   #13
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

I suspect this will be used as an excuse by many not to have their car tested, why bother when you don't need too after all

To save wrangling with slippery insurance companies, who hardly need an excuse to avoid making any type of payment, I would suggest it prudent to have your car tested as per normal.

At the end of the day, an MOT test is not a difficult hurdle to jump if your car is maintained correctly, and fear of catching the lurgy should not be any type of excuse to not venture to the garage to have it done.

After all is said and done, if you are that afraid of leaving the house to have an MOT done, then you shouldn't be out driving your car in any event, so it should be SORNed when the MOT expires.

I for one, provided we are still allowed to leave the house shall be having my MOT carried out at the normal time.

Out of respect for the nominated tester, I would suggest that the car is cleaned thoroughly prior to presenting it for test, and of course it is one of those cases where social distancing is easy to practise.

A lot of small garages will undoubtedly struggle during this period of uncertainty, however the risks, either perceived or real to either you or the garage staff will be considerably lower than for example going to the supermarket.

We should put it into context as consumers, an MOT test takes roughly 40 minutes to complete, and shouldn't be a source of worry at all.

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2020, 09:07   #14
tantallon
Gets stuck in

ROVER 75 SALOON

Having had a discussion with qualified lawyers (Wife and Sister)Their take on the matter is that insurance companies have taken a big hit due to the present situation.If you were to drive your car and be involved in an accident during the deferral period they would try every twist and turn in the book to wriggle out of a claim .In addition they have more "experts" at their disposal to counter your claim ie; stating that the car was unsafe .Therefore their advice is either GET YOUR CAR MOT,D OR DONT USE IT . .I,m sure there are garages who will gladly pick up and return your car if you cannot do it yourself.These are not the words of barrack room lawyers but highly qualified professionals.
tantallon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2020, 09:13   #15
SCP440
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T 260

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post

A lot of small garages will undoubtedly struggle during this period of uncertainty, however the risks, either perceived or real to either you or the garage staff will be considerably lower than for example going to the supermarket.

We should put it into context as consumers, an MOT test takes roughly 40 minutes to complete, and shouldn't be a source of worry at all.

Brian
Well put Brian, my MOT tester for one has said since the announcement a lot of people have cancelled there booked MOT's even though he will remain open until he is told to close. A few are cars he knows that always scrape through or need some work but even some of his regulars with perfect cars have also cancelled so maybe some of it is worry about the going out.

As you say I will be getting an MOT when it is due if I can, think how busy it will be once this is all over? What will happen if you cant get an MOT if some of the garages have gone out of business and the others are booked up weeks in advance and the 6 month exemption is coming to an end?

I know we are not doing much mileage at the moment apart from the weekly gauntlet to the supermarket but say you do have an accident I wonder what the insurance company view will be if is proved that your car had a defect even if you are not at fault?

Get it MOT'd, don't take a chance it could cost you more than the test fee if it all goes wrong.
SCP440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2020, 09:49   #16
coolguy
Coolguy

Rover 75 CDT Tourer Auto, Rover 75 2.0 Connoisseur Auto, MG ZT 2.5 Auto and MG ZT Cdti Auto (Monogra

Whilst agreeing with most of what has been said on this subject, an MOT only proves that a vehicle was safe on the day it was tested. Having a current MOT doesn't in fact guarantee that the car is roadworthy and so Insurance Companies can always have a go at dismissing a claim if they want to.
coolguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2020, 12:38   #17
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

After already previously being shut down (due to failing equipment) and deferring of most MOTs due, one of our test centres has closed, the replaced equipment removed, pits filled, and a drive through Covid-19 testing facility created. STORY

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2020, 13:42   #18
sworks
Been absent for a while…

Rover 75 Tourer, Classic mini Cooper S, Abarth 595 competizione, MG TF and a Hyundai Tucson PHEV

Thanked 1,686 Times in 1,040 Posts

I’m an MOT tester and we are shut, a few other testers I know are also closed and a lot of dealership techs I know nationally are. If somebody phoned me and asked who was open locally for an MOT I couldn’t tell them! The motor trade has been told its workshop staff are key workers, funnily enough the majority of our local nuclear industry workers aren’t? Strange as a lot of people view vehicle techs to be either idiots, rubbish at their jobs or just out to take your money..... Fair play to anybody still open in the trade and hopefully your taking all the precautions needed and cleaning cars in advance of working on them as I’m not sure I’d trust that the owner had done it themselves in advance

'Marmite' Possibly one of the most famous 75 tourers produced! left the production line as the last of only Three Rover 75 tourers produced in Trophy Yellow. 48 hours later Longbridge closed. The last sold ordered 75 Tourer. Paid for by the Phoenix Four and handed over by John Towers to the Warwickshire Northampton Air ambulance service as a Rapid Response vehicle

Last edited by sworks; 7th April 2020 at 13:52..
sworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2020, 15:21   #19
mileshawk56
Posted a thing or two

MGZT

Kwikfit still doing mot's just had the wife's Rover done- I have to do things when they are due,if I don't, chaos!!!!. Chris.S.
mileshawk56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2020, 15:39   #20
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post
I suspect this will be used as an excuse by many not to have their car tested, why bother when you don't need too after all

To save wrangling with slippery insurance companies, who hardly need an excuse to avoid making any type of payment, I would suggest it prudent to have your car tested as per normal.

At the end of the day, an MOT test is not a difficult hurdle to jump if your car is maintained correctly, and fear of catching the lurgy should not be any type of excuse to not venture to the garage to have it done.

After all is said and done, if you are that afraid of leaving the house to have an MOT done, then you shouldn't be out driving your car in any event, so it should be SORNed when the MOT expires.

I for one, provided we are still allowed to leave the house shall be having my MOT carried out at the normal time.

Out of respect for the nominated tester, I would suggest that the car is cleaned thoroughly prior to presenting it for test, and of course it is one of those cases where social distancing is easy to practise.

Brian
I cant recall the last time I had a vehicle fail its mot but I always find it stressful having an mot done.

nacafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote