Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 31st August 2014, 20:43   #1
flying_pig
I believe i can fly

MG ZT-T

Default Solar panels anyone got them installed?

Thinking about installing solar panels on my house. Not rent a roof scheme as its pointless for me but the ones that you own and all benefits are yours.
Not really with the money now so thinking about a loan
Has ony of fellow members had it done this way and would be so kind to share their opinions
Thanks in advance mick
flying_pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2014, 22:47   #2
Dragrad
This is my second home

None * DROWNED

Thanked 1,664 Times in 1,081 Posts

Thread moved to appropriate forum. Re-direct left in old.

Andrew
Ich Dien
Problem solving is... lateral thinking

SEARCH FIRST ...ASK LATER...

Dragrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2014, 00:22   #3
guru
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT, Rover Sterling, MG ZS EV & BMW X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by flying_pig View Post
Thinking about installing solar panels on my house. Not rent a roof scheme as its pointless for me but the ones that you own and all benefits are yours.
Not really with the money now so thinking about a loan
Has ony of fellow members had it done this way and would be so kind to share their opinions
Thanks in advance mick
If you'd have to take a loan then I'd advise against it. The costs of the finance would be more then the real world savings on your bills. I also think they look awful! Roof tops up and down the country are being ruined one by one!
Old 1st September 2014, 06:40   #4
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

Thanked 7,017 Times in 4,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by guru View Post
If you'd have to take a loan then I'd advise against it. The costs of the finance would be more then the real world savings on your bills. I also think they look awful! Roof tops up and down the country are being ruined one by one!

I agree they do not look very nice. It would be useful to hear if you are able to offer an alternative to the one, ruining rooftops up and down the country

I spend part of the year in Kenya and South Africa where solar panels are becoming increasingly popular for low cost housing needs, where electricity bills are high with the grids not coping.

In Kenya we have 5 panels on top of a pergola out of sight and at the house on the mountain in ZA, the panel on the roof was painted black to tone it down. A grant from the ZA government of approx £200 helped towards costs.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1409553174.540953.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1409552943.341184.jpg
Gate Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2014, 07:27   #5
Rev Jules
This is my second home

Rover 75 Tourer+

Thanked 3,929 Times in 2,051 Posts
Default Panels

The only thing I would agree with Guru is not to go down the road of a loan, they negate the returns you would be getting.
I had 14 panels fitted Jan 2013, with an added bonus of a unit for heating our hot water, so far I have had a return of £1036 into my bank account, plus my electricity bill for last year £232.00.
The outlay was £6300.00.

Every one is entitled to their opinion and I respect that, okay it will take several years to pay for itself but all the time I am getting returns like that it is a no brainer.

If you can afford it go for it you will get various people come round and give you all sorts of stupid prices, read the feedbacks and ring them up just to see how they were treated.

Julien
Rev Jules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2014, 09:07   #6
guru
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT, Rover Sterling, MG ZS EV & BMW X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by julienhoulton View Post
The only thing I would agree with Guru is not to go down the road of a loan, they negate the returns you would be getting.
I had 14 panels fitted Jan 2013, with an added bonus of a unit for heating our hot water, so far I have had a return of £1036 into my bank account, plus my electricity bill for last year £232.00.
The outlay was £6300.00.

Every one is entitled to their opinion and I respect that, okay it will take several years to pay for itself but all the time I am getting returns like that it is a no brainer.

If you can afford it go for it you will get various people come round and give you all sorts of stupid prices, read the feedbacks and ring them up just to see how they were treated.

Julien
You have to also bear in mind that the feed in tariffs have changed since you had yours so you wouldn't get the same return now.
Old 1st September 2014, 09:17   #7
Rev Jules
This is my second home

Rover 75 Tourer+

Thanked 3,929 Times in 2,051 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by guru View Post
You have to also bear in mind that the feed in tariffs have changed since you had yours so you wouldn't get the same return now.
That as may be, but for my own personal experience it would still be worth it.

Julien
Rev Jules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2014, 09:52   #8
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

Thanked 7,017 Times in 4,160 Posts

That is quite a big system you have in operation Julien and given the cost of electricity at current prices after a few years you will be quids in. Flying Pig other costs needs to be worked in, such as replacing the batteries. We recently replaced our 100 amps costing 500 GBP but they will last us for 4-5 years. Good advice Julien about doing research. We encountered several companies all with differing accounts of what to use ....heat exchangers, etc, those people with the smooth sales patter offering the best packages on finance, watch out. Be aware of the cowboys in the business, here today and gone tomorrow types. Warranty and after care is important if the units break down or develop leaks.

I agree with Guru and Julien in not going for a loan. We started out small and can expand if needed. In the future we might go for a wind power generator on the mountain ....horrors expected
Gate Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2014, 11:43   #9
sln8458
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Contemporary SE 2.0 Diesel Auto 2005 Facelift

I spent quite a bit of time researching this earlier this year.

I was looking at a 16 panel 4Kw system, various quotes & settled on a local company. Visited 6 of his past installation & was comforted by the quality of both the kit & workmanship. spent ages on a spread sheet to calculate returns blah...blah...blah looked like a goer to me £5750 only paid on system handover, that's right zero up front , 10 year parts/labour warranty.

Then her in doors said no, "just like endowment mortgages this will go wrong & cost us money" didn't see that coming

From my efforts, don't borrow the money, just as the others have said.

The most costly item in the system will be the inverter, so budget for a replacement after the warranty runs out (just to be safe ) for me that was about £1000.

Pay back will depend on the sun, & her in doors can't control that.....yet
But for me it was between 6 to 7 years, which I think is typical.

If you borrow the money, say £6500 then the repayments over 10 years @ 4.5% will be approx. £67/month which is still higher that you will earn from the FIT & reduced electricity costs in the early years. You may just about be getting those numbers after about 5 years (RPI dependant)

It's true that they can make the roof look ugly, but it can be removed just as easily as it was installed, it's NOT there for life.

For me, it was a good opportunity to earn approx. £1000/year for 10 years after payback. Just in it for the money.

SteveN
Cruise Control; FBH with GSM (was FrenchMike's Remote) & dash button; Rear Blind; In-line Thermostat; wired in front & rear cameras; Mercedes DRL +DRL2; twin horns, twin usb power outlets, digital coolant temperature readout, Real Walnut dash, Walnut & black leather steering wheel, Walnut Handbrake grip, Towbar with full Rover harness.
Rear seat cup holders.

Wanted: Walnut auto gear stick handle
Mods to do: all done , need to come up with some more.
sln8458 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2014, 12:14   #10
3disco
3disco

ROVER 75 CONN TOURER CDTI and ZTT V8 SE LPG

I was lucky enough to get the top rate of fit when my system was fitted so worth nearly 50p a kW plus I use all off the electricity we produce so should pay for itself in 4yrs,at. Least it's on target so far but with falling tarrifs and 5yr shorter payment period makes it a lot more marginal for new systems.
3disco is offline   Reply With Quote