Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

View Poll Results: How is your 75/ZT used?
Daily Driven 274 72.30%
Weekends only 55 14.51%
Currently off the road 15 3.96%
No longer own a 75/ZT 35 9.23%
Voters: 379. You may not vote on this poll

Old 13th October 2017, 09:18   #61
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

Thanked 7,017 Times in 4,160 Posts

A banned member who is also a good friend, recently bought a silver mark 1 tourer for £200. It has the WIN CE media centre, its immaculate inside and passed its MOT 2 weeks ago. The story behind the £200 buy, is that the previous owner was under pressure for a quick sale, as he needed to buy clothes for a new baby on the way. This tourer has become a daily driver and with this in mind, I can add this to the poll
Gate Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2017, 09:24   #62
Lordy
This is my second home

Ford Probe GT.

Thanked 2,516 Times in 1,481 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gate Keeper View Post
A banned member who is also a good friend, recently bought a silver mark 1 tourer for £200. It has the WIN CE media centre, its immaculate inside and passed its MOT 2 weeks ago. The story behind the £200 buy, is that the previous owner was under pressure for a quick sale, as he needed to buy clothes for a new baby on the way. This tourer has become a daily driver and with this in mind, I can add this to the poll
Tell him I said hello and might see him about in Scotty land.
Hope he's keeping well.

Lest we forget.

Never forget them and support our armed forces.

https://i.imgur.com/oyca2Lyl.jpg?1
Passion Never Dies It Only Gets Stronger.
Go your own way.

Lordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2017, 09:32   #63
coab
This is my second home

2007 57 GOLF GTi EDITION 30 DSG

Thanked 1,452 Times in 852 Posts

I had 7 ZTs and a R75 in a space of 4 years and loved tinkering with them. Bought new interiors alloys etc and upgraded them all. The only reason for jumping ship was I can only realistically have one car and after owning a few 2005 models wanted a car that was newer, more economical and had all the modern mod cons without any niggling issues that comes with all cars 10 years old.
Still chat to strangers and give them a world of advise but they dont seem that interested anymore and just say they are running it into the ground or running it because it was dirt cheap.
I still look at them and think how lovely they are but unless I come into some money and have somewhere to store one its just a thing I used to do sadly.
coab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2017, 09:34   #64
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

Thanked 7,017 Times in 4,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Rover View Post
Tell him I said hello and might see him about in Scotty land.
Hope he's keeping well.
Its not him Dave. He is the happy cabbie and I will pass on your good wishes, thank you
Gate Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2017, 10:09   #65
Mike Trident
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTi Saloon & Citroen C1

I actually bought my first 75 back in Feb of this year BECAUSE it is an old car. I have modern cars to run on a daily basis but they are just transport.

I have had a garage full of old motorbikes most of my life, but I, sorry my health dictated that I should give up riding motorbikes so I turned to cars.

I first bought a BMW Z3, it was NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-! nothing like what you would expect it to be. I saw a Rover 75 many years ago and it stopped me in my tracks, so I googled the 75 and thought yep! this is what I want to try next. I am glad I did because I just fell in love with it, I love the old style interior, the smell of leather etc etc. It's like driving a really old car without the drawbacks. It's my intention to keep it until it is really old. I didn't buy it as a future classic, but I believe that in 10 years from now, it will be worth more than what I paid for it, including future repairs. Why? well if only because it is the last British mass produced car, and a dam fine one at that! Hell, people are paying good money now for Morris Marina's which were NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD- from new.

ALL the motorbikes that I have owned over the last 15 years have actually cost me NOTHING, simply because the value of them went up in the time I owned them. I keep track of what I spend on each of them, and what I sold them for actually covered everything including tax and insurance. That is FREE motorcycling.

Every modern car I have owned ( I change every couple of years) has lost me £££ and I mean thousands, maybe not in servicing or repairs but just in depreciation.

I fully understand people not using an ageing car for everyday use, simply because the older it gets the more you are cutting the odds of it breaking down or simply not starting when you really need it to. I wouldn't dream of having my 75 as an only car, although having said that it feels and drives better than my daily car. No, I wouldn't wish to use it everyday because I believe it has earned the right to be pampered a bit, it's getting on and needs looking after (like me lol). I do drive it more than what I expected to do when I bought it, having covered 5K miles since Feb, but all the driving I do in it is purely for pleasure.

Without clubs and forums like this one, the Rover 75 will just disappear, It is the people who love them and are willing to keep repairing them that will turn the car into a classic.

BORN
Tuesday, 5th October 2004 @ 12:35:52
This vehicle was the 104,679th 75 to run off the production line, out of 112,381
This vehicle was the 3,318th 75 CDT Connoisseur SE (135) to be made out of 4,744
This vehicle was the 12,440th 75 in Starlight Silver (code: MBB) to be made out of 14,280 Starlight Silver 75s

Last edited by Mike Trident; 13th October 2017 at 10:18..
Mike Trident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2017, 10:30   #66
Freebyrd
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT-T

Almost all 75's and ZT's will eventually cease to be used daily or only at weekends. They will join the ranks of the 'Summer Show' only cars. All cars were daily drivers when new, think of the '50's and 60's Fords, Minis, MGB's, Jags etc. only seen now at classic events. Those of us that attended the P.O.L. and Roverfest witnessed a large selection of older cars that will never again be seen in daily use, yet there are healthy owners and enthusiast clubs for all types of 'classics'. That's evolution and ownership and use of 'our' cars will evolve accordingly. I can see 10 years ahead (in my crystal ball) very few 75's or ZT's in daily use but I see many at Classic Vehicle Shows and Owners Club events.
Owners clubs will always exist partly to help owners to keep cars on the road, there will never be a time when 'our cars' are fully sorted and no mechanical, electrical or electronic problems will arise. Lack of availability of body panels and interior parts is becoming a problem for 75's and ZT's, it's been a problem for P5, P6 and early Range Rover owners for years, but there was a field full of those types at Roverfest this year.
Many owners of Mk I Minis Anglias, Cortinas and Capris were not born in the days when those models were every day cars, but they are the people keeping their cherished cars alive and well.
Long may it continue
Old 13th October 2017, 10:42   #67
teatotty
Avid contributor

rover 75 Connessieur

Default teatotty

I use my 2004 Rover 75 1.8 daily as it is my only car.
Just been up to Derbyshire, did over 700 miles on this trip with no problems.
Very, Very pleased with my Rover 75, now done about 77,000 miles.
I have owned my 75 for over 5 years.
teatotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2017, 10:47   #68
TomRS
Posted a thing or two

Mk1 ZT 190 - Mk2 ZS 180 - Mercedes E63 AMG S - Ford Ranger Hawk

See for me i feel the 75/Zt's have a good soul, and in all fairness for a now nearly 20yr old design (as you have to remember the engines/shells were all designed and tested in the mid to late 90's before releasing the car in 1998)

So with that in mind, it doesnt really have that many common flaws for an old car.
They are all common well known documented issues that for the most part are cheap and easy fixes.

I have some big plans to get mine sorted and i want it re-painting and bringing right back upto its former glory.
I actually am starting to feel bad using it every day and stucking 300 miles a week on it.
Going to start using the Audi all the time i think, its on 204k so isnt gonna lose anymore value haha!
Also going to fix up the 1.8t and other 190 i have as both are low millage 70-80k on 2003 plates.
TomRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2017, 12:27   #69
MrWill75V6
Regular poster

Rover 75 Saloon

I run mine on a daily basis, it’s 17 years old and going to need some garage work soon. No plans to replace however until I absolutely have too. Can’t imagine how a newer car would actually be more reliable than mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 13th October 2017, 12:35   #70
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Yep mine is a daily driver and has been since I first got it over 16 years ago, which is why it has done over 394k miles.

Might struggle to get an MOT this time round due to some corrosion. Not worth spending mega amounts of time or money on it, but I'd like to keep it going.
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote