Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 4th May 2022, 14:04   #1
Fred Byrne
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Saloon

Default Never leave a spanner in the works

A couple of weeks ago I noticed that the nut on the lead to the alternator was slack. I tightened it with a 10mm 1/4 inch drive socket. As I was straightening up my aged back the socket fell off the ratchet drive and disappeared to somewhere in the engine. I searched and searched but no socket. I decided to move the car to my garage so that I could remove the undertray. The most likely place seemed to me to be the engine "V" but my flexible magnetic probe couldn't find it there. The horrible thought was_ "was it lurking within the timing belt area?"
I removed fuse 3 in the engine compartment to disable the camshaft sensor and turned the engine over with a short jab of the starter motor. The engine turned over OK so I replaced the fuse and started the car. There was a clunk a squeal and the engine stopped abruptly. A quick check showed the engine was free so I chanced it and started the car. I was rewarded with a terrible knocking sound. The knocking seemed to come from the steering pump.So removed the ancillary belt and lo and behold the socket was inside the steering pump driving wheel. Wheel was removed and socket retrieved. I replaced the belt and started the engine without replacing the engine mount. Knocking was gone and the engine was sweet. Replaced everything and with the car back on its wheels started up. The knocking was back. Lamentations and a cup of tea to help with the thinking processs and then I stripped down and removed ancillary belt once more and checked everything that could be thought of and as I was giving up without success I noticed a mark on the steering pump drive wheel. The socket when it jammed the engine had distorted the wheel at one of the three lightening holes towards the centre of the wheel. This caused an almost unnoticeable bulge at the lightening hole which was sufficient to cause the wheel to contact the upper section of the mounting backet when it revolved. The clearance between the wheel and the mounting bracket is very small.

The moral of the story is never lose something within the engine. If you do then find it and remove it if that is necessary. Lady Luck was with me for once.
Fred Byrne is offline   Reply With Quote