Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 7th February 2024, 19:01   #21
xsport
Posted a thing or two

rover 75 club se

With over 400 people viewing this site at this very moment 7.50 pm today , i cannot see this going much further . 20 signatures ... I know its early days , but its not exactly overwhelming is it. To reach 10.000 signatures for consideration and 100.000 for a reading in parliament to be put forward, I think we are grasping at straws. Still lets try for it , and hope that other sites and marques with much higher road fund duty can give it a boost ... early days yet though as said. ... come on you guys .... !!!
xsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2024, 09:04   #22
TBennet
Regular poster

MG ZT-T 190

I've seen similar petitions more than once in the past. They never go anywhere, and honestly, nor should they.

There are thousands of 20+ year old sheds being used as daily drivers. I can't think what the justification would be to declare all cars older than 2004 as "modern classics". You see them out and about on the roads day in, day out without batting an eyelid.
TBennet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2024, 10:04   #23
Teflon
This is my second home

Lagoon 2.0 V6 75 Conn SE Saloon

Thanked 2,920 Times in 1,570 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBennet View Post
.........There are thousands of 20+ year old sheds being used as daily drivers. I can't think what the justification would be to declare all cars older than 2004 as "modern classics". You see them out and about on the roads day in, day out without batting an eyelid.
I agree with you on this point, and wouldn't want to see "classic" status dished out to all old cars. There is, though, the anomaly whereby cars taxed under the old rules now pay more than twice the VED rate of newer cars that are subject to the post 2017 rates, regardless of the emission rate of the newer vehicle.

Seems a little unfair to have to pay £395 annually for a 20 year old Rover V6, where a post 2017 V12 (or whatever) will cost £180. I realise the newer vehicle will have been hit hard with a first year VED charge, but equally the Treasury will have already had some 20 years of VED in respect of the Rover. . I would have thought the fairest and simplest solution would be to apply the latest annual rate to all vehicles without classic status. Sadly though, I can't see anything changing anytime soon.

Cliff

No. 4 of 6
Teflon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2024, 10:10   #24
SteveThackery
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Connoisseur SE saloon, 2.5 KV6 automatic, 2002, White Gold

What is the justification for exempting old cars? Surely they wear out the roads as much as a new car, and although keeping an old car running removes the carbon cost of making a new one they are less environmentally friendly in terms of emissions.

But importantly, the tax isn't a "road tax" any more because it doesn't get spent on the roads; it is just another source of income for the Exchequer. It's real purpose is two-fold: to generate revenue; and as a tool to encourage people towards more economical, less polluting cars. Therefore I don't see why old cars should get special treatment.

Incidentally, I do realise that very old cars are exempt, but again, I don't really see why they should be.
Old 8th February 2024, 11:41   #25
xsport
Posted a thing or two

rover 75 club se

Manufacturers of electric vehicles are now being told that any advertising regarding as ZERO emissions will now be banned. This is the watchdogs new position. This now covers the charging emissions being emitted whilst charging, and also the electricity production emissions at power stations.The cars production emissions are huge, and car manufacturers must now state that these zero emission vehicles are only this ,whilst the vehicle is being driven. To me this has not gone far enough. There is no benefit to the environment at all , the manufacture of the vehicle and its batteries far outweigh the green benefits. These vehicles are twice as big now and twice as heavy. The carbon emissions from tyres and road repairs have not even been mentioned. This i suspect is the first pre curser to the next v.e.d increase for electric vehicles. The rest will be added when declared at the correct time earmarked for a later date. The uk has reduced their emissions target by 25% since the nineties. China has increased theirs by a whopping 298 % Whats the point ...
Old 8th February 2024, 11:52   #26
torque2me
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsport View Post
Manufacturers of electric vehicles are now being told that any advertising regarding as ZERO emissions will now be banned. This is the watchdogs new position. This now covers the charging emissions being emitted whilst charging, and also the electricity production emissions at power stations.The cars production emissions are huge, and car manufacturers must now state that these zero emission vehicles are only this ,whilst the vehicle is being driven. To me this has not gone far enough. There is no benefit to the environment at all , the manufacture of the vehicle and its batteries far outweigh the green benefits. These vehicles are twice as big now and twice as heavy. The carbon emissions from tyres and road repairs have not even been mentioned. This i suspect is the first pre curser to the next v.e.d increase for electric vehicles. The rest will be added when declared at the correct time earmarked for a later date. The uk has reduced their emissions target by 25% since the nineties. China has increased theirs by a whopping 298 % Whats the point ...
There is absolutely no point in going back to the stone age to enable China to be top dog and atop the dung heap. Can't wait for EV's to be taxed as they should as they have been given a free pass or subsidy for long enough now.
Kev
torque2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2024, 12:11   #27
xsport
Posted a thing or two

rover 75 club se

Agreed. But that will come in time .. at the right time , when a lot more fish have been hooked ...
Old 8th February 2024, 17:01   #28
SteveThackery
Avid contributor

Quote:
1/ The cars production emissions are huge...

2/ There is no benefit to the environment at all, the manufacture of the vehicle and its batteries far outweigh the green benefits.

3/ These vehicles are twice as big now and twice as heavy.
Hey, xsport, have you got any references for these assertions? For example, is there a trustworthy source comparing the carbon footprint for manufacturing ICE cars and electric cars? I would imagine electric cars are higher, but some hard data would be good. A Web search throws up loads of contradictory information.

I don't think electric cars are twice as big and heavy. I think I read somewhere that they are about 50% heavier for a comparable size. Also, there are plenty of small electric cars, like the Leaf, for example, so I'm not convinced they are twice as big. ICE cars have grown in size enormously as well. Especially the SUVs.
Old 8th February 2024, 17:03   #29
SteveThackery
Avid contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by torque2me View Post
Can't wait for EV's to be taxed as they should as they have been given a free pass or subsidy for long enough now.
And, of course, their "fuel" (electricity) is only taxed at the VAT rate, too. If it was as heavily taxed as petrol and diesel, their running costs would be far less attractive.

https://askthecarexpert.com/fuel-tax/
Old 9th February 2024, 14:46   #30
torque2me
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT

Quote:
Agreed. But that will come in time .. at the right time , when a lot more fish have been hooked ...
In the meantime owners of diesel and petrol powered vehicles stay in the fish farm being fleeced more and more every year! :-(
Kev
torque2me is offline   Reply With Quote