Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 16th April 2019, 13:06   #1
RogerHeinz57
I really should get out more.......

A Reasonably Priced Car

Thanked 1,064 Times in 712 Posts
Default MGR Punishment !

Having taken delivery of a ZT190 recently, and enjoyed the delivery of fun these can supply, but we fell at a hurdle.
Engine temperature needle decided to fly to the 12 o/c position followed by the death red light at the same position on the gauge, little opportunity to stop immediately. Cooling fan was doing it's best efforts to control the sudden climb. The gauge was fluctuating all over the place, which led me to believe the issue may not be so bad to deal with. Fortunately the Heinz 57 (Rover) was at hand to continue my transportation requirements. So initial inspections revealed an orange puddle behind drivers wheel, and a "V" full of mixed contaminants to include the orangey red stuff. So off to the computer and ordered up the full kit to change the stat - gaskets thermistor and all the pipes. £60.00 worse off with further sped required for sundries and so-on. Not so keen on the KV6 engines to work on as I generally look after diesel versions, but done one of these last year for somebody else, so capable of doing the job, but not looking forward to it.
Looking throughout the strip down process, I found that the heater hose coming from the thermostat was covered in crystallised fur (Orange) as was the "V" section, thinking that air expands quicker than coolant under pressure/heat it was clealy the problem, of course the contraction of the coolant during cooling down will bring air into the system (My train of thought) which is how the incident took it's toll. Everything came off and got cleaned up. The two ports in the block and the water pump port got a thorough clean and polished up checking for pitting (None found) and fitted the pipework and thermistor. Refitted the polished manifolds to the polished heads, torque applied as per requirements followed by the plastic upper manifold and all of the electrics and pipework, those pipes are a pain somewhere ! Pulsed the ignition a few times to check the fuel rails were not leaking, (New viton seals fitted) no leaks and so we continue......
Noticed the oil cooler pipework looking a bit sorry for itself, so this has been removed and checked for obvious problems, none found so it has been brushed and de-scabbed of rusty material and painted up ready to go on.

So I may not be the fastest technician - I am taking my time on this as I have no intention of doing this again.

At present, we have no outcome as paint drying can be slow, but hope to back on the go by tomorrow PM.

Anybody who decides to do this job, please be advised that time is something you will need plenty of as well as thoughtful consideration of the design of the components fitted. Rush at your peril

Hope to be back here with a success story soon.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cmck0uz904...71414.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/4ocq48yavy...71418.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/pi8o7el6o8...84328.jpg?dl=0

Just to finish up the day, oil cooler pipework re-fitted, coolant installed and bled-up, and well he's all good....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cDkSj2Xdsg

Last edited by RogerHeinz57; 16th April 2019 at 18:36.. Reason: .
RogerHeinz57 is offline   Reply With Quote