Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 16th April 2019, 20:35   #21
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
how many cars do they provide parking for?
my son in laws place has parking for 2 cars, his and my daughters.
I'm visiting, where do I park?
unusually my wife also visits our daughter but due to circumstances arrives in her car, where does she park?
A mates comes round, where does he park?

Nowadays the children also have cars.
On roads where two cars cant pass I understand why people park partly on the pavement but don't agree with blocking it so a pushchair cannot pass.

perhaps our new build houses need parking for 4 cars and the roads wide enough for 2 or even 3 cars to pass. Also garages need to be properly wide enough for a car to fit into. Seen lots of garages where you would struggle to get into and out of the car when its in the garage.

macafee2

It sounds like your daughter's house should be surrounded by a private car park for their exclusive use. Will they be paying for this luxury?

Perhaps the answer is to have local shared pay-as-you-use car parking spaces - hang on, they exist and are called public car parks.

We need to face up to reality - that there are two key problems facing us that need to be addressed.

1. People preferring to own/use cars instead of public transport irrespective of the impact on others.

2. Too many cars per household.

The only viable solution is to price out car ownership for people without private parking spaces through taxation as in countries such as Singapore.
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2019, 20:43   #22
rab60bit
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyHeckaslike View Post
I didn't know that it was legal to park on a public footpath. I think that a rather big clue to town clerks and their relevant employees on the subject is embedded in the very word ... footpath.
It is 'illegal' to drive on a footpath (see RTA's) - somehow that is not translated by cops/and others who can do something about it into "..and how did you manage to lift your vehicle onto the footpath sir?".
I understand that in London (parts of..?) there are By-laws against parking on a footpath but not checked it out.
rab60bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2019, 20:48   #23
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rab60bit View Post
It is 'illegal' to drive on a footpath (see RTA's) - somehow that is not translated by cops/and others who can do something about it into "..and how did you manage to lift your vehicle onto the footpath sir?".
I understand that in London (parts of..?) there are By-laws against parking on a footpath but not checked it out.

There are and some councils with severe problems have people driving around issuing tickets for parking on the pavement.
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2019, 21:17   #24
Framps
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Saloon

Default Some drivers think it a right

Hi alll,
What you say is right but can understand parking on path, but a lot of people now think it is a right. Walking on path from shop to home car stopped let me pass so he could Park on path. I could not pass on the path afterccar parked.
And we wonder why car drivers are scene as the bad people. Respect from both sides and it can work.
I can dream
Framps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2019, 21:18   #25
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by planenut View Post
Telephone: 020 7219 3266
Email: [email protected]
Twitter: @CommonsTrans"

Thanks for this Lancpudn.

Emailed in support of a pavement parking ban, except where it is completely unavoidable..

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2019, 21:26   #26
topman
This is my second home

MG ZT-T 190

Quote:
Originally Posted by planenut View Post
Nobody has a right to stop on a public road, therefore no right to park on it. the fact that someone has their own private parking does not mean that they must use it.
There's plenty of people who'd love to have a drive. Then there's those that won't use the one they've paid for. Prefer to block the street up instead.

http://www.qwghlm.co.uk/toys/dailymail/
topman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2019, 21:42   #27
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mss View Post
It sounds like your daughter's house should be surrounded by a private car park for their exclusive use. Will they be paying for this luxury?

Perhaps the answer is to have local shared pay-as-you-use car parking spaces - hang on, they exist and are called public car parks.

We need to face up to reality - that there are two key problems facing us that need to be addressed.

1. People preferring to own/use cars instead of public transport irrespective of the impact on others.

2. Too many cars per household.

The only viable solution is to price out car ownership for people without private parking spaces through taxation as in countries such as Singapore.
It is always nice to read a well thought out constructive reply, it is a shame yours does not match that criteria.
How many cars are an acceptable number for a household?
Does it matter how many cars there are at a household as long as they can store them all on their own property as well as visitors cars?
Also you need to consider the practical reasons for using ones own car and not public transport.

I use to use public transport for getting to and from work. 20 minutes by car, an hour using public transport. I also had to fit in with the times of public transport which may not have been convenient.

Car ownership has increased but parking at new houses has decreased.
So many new builds have parking for only 2 cars at best and so when visitors come parking becomes an issue. Where my sister lives, she has parking for 1, where do her visitors park? Another new build estate with parking problems

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2019, 21:54   #28
planenut
Regional Secretary

Rover 1.8T Tourer

Thanked 2,036 Times in 1,264 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by topman View Post
There's plenty of people who'd love to have a drive. Then there's those that won't use the one they've paid for. Prefer to block the street up instead.
Those that have their own drive don't get a discount on Council Tax if they park on it, and again, nobody actually has a legal right to stop on a road.

A neighbour near me has a white line across her driveway, but another neighbour who was parked on it, complained that he would then have to park elsewhere and then bring his children to their house - obviously that original neighbour's "fault".
planenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2019, 22:11   #29
planenut
Regional Secretary

Rover 1.8T Tourer

Thanked 2,036 Times in 1,264 Posts

We've just had a newsletter from our local "Councillors", and two paragraphs cited their concerns over "commuter parking" in the area, and asking for any "concerns".

I sent a message and got this reply........
Quote:
I can confirm that the petition we referred to was the one carried out about 3 years ago. When we were canvassing for the election in 2015, we received a large number of complaints about extremely inconsiderate parking by commuters in the roads nearest the station. Many residents were finding it difficult to get their cars out of their drives due to cars being left there all day long.

I accept that the proposal for resident permits does not meet with universal approval, but banning all cars between 11am and 1pm would be impractical.

In any event we were subsequently advised by County Council Officers, that they would only accept a permit scheme if it had the support of at least 70% of the residents in all the roads surrounding the station. After carrying out the survey, the level of support did not reach that level and so the scheme was not accepted.

The last survey carried out in the ward, was carried out by a local resident in Wolsey Road and she only received a 20% response to the survey and not all of it was positive, so I would imagine it will be some time before this proposal comes forward again.
I thanked him for replying, but stated that most of the newsletter was negated by the above reply, meaning - "Thank you for your concerns but we are doing nothing more!"

He finished with "I trust that this allays your concerns and hopefully you will support us on 2nd May." What do you think?
planenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2019, 23:50   #30
bilzin
Avid contributor

Rover 75 V6 Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryM1BYT View Post
Likewise here, except there is no reason/advantage to parking on the pavements. The road is wide enough for vehicles to get past, if they park entirely on the road, yet not wide enough that two opposing vehicles can pass even if one is completely blocking the pavement - one always has to stop and give way. Why do they do it - I have no idea, apart from the kerbs are quite shallow.

Today the parking guy came down the street booking vehicles parked on the pavement - I thanked him for his efforts.
I had occasion to contact the local police to report a car totally on the pavement close to my house, requiring me to assist a wheelchair user onto the roadway to get past it.

When the young female PCSO arrived she told me...and I quote " if there's nobody trying to get past a pavement parked car...it's not an obstruction" ... REALLY ?

I was then treated to the admission that she had become a PCSO for "the buzz" and nothing else.

Still awaiting a reply from the Wiltshire PCC ...maybe one day ?