Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 18th April 2019, 17:58   #11
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

The answer is simple, if you cannot change the oil from underneath for whatever reason, be it ill health, nowhere to do the job, etc etc etc then employ someone else to do the job on your behalf.

When I'm servicing a 1000HP Caterpillar diesel generating set, the lube oil, all 73 litres of it, comes out of the bottom, and a sample of the used oil sent to Desford for analysis.

Suction pumps are not fit for purpose, if they make you feel better about "doing your bit" then that's great, but make no mistake they don't do the job well at all, and the reason for the sump plug being on the bottom is to drain the old lube oil as completely as it is possible to do so.

I've just bought 20 litres of oil, and I've three oil changes to do on the fleet later on...........once one of them, currently elevated, is down off the ramps and run up to temperature with a fast motorway run.

I've seen time and time again the results of vehicles that haven't had the oil changed correctly, some catastrophic, and others not so much, but I've no desire to subject any car of mine to a "half a job" oil change thanks

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2019, 19:39   #12
breakfastinsmethwick
Gets stuck in

Maintainer of sons ZT M47r

I use a pump for intermediate oil changes (ie, half the recommended mileage) and the sump plug for the stated intervals. I also do an oil flush with the correct oil (not a can of flush). I retain the flushing oil and reuse it as I filter it through a 5 micron filter rig. I just have too much time on my hands don’t I.
breakfastinsmethwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2019, 21:33   #13
Mike Trident
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTi Saloon & Citroen C1

I have been told a growing number of modern cars are not fitted with sump plugs anymore.

Every last drop may not come out, but with only 108k miles it will probably out live me, so not unduly worried.

Each to their own on this one I guess

BORN
Tuesday, 5th October 2004 @ 12:35:52
This vehicle was the 104,679th 75 to run off the production line, out of 112,381
This vehicle was the 3,318th 75 CDT Connoisseur SE (135) to be made out of 4,744
This vehicle was the 12,440th 75 in Starlight Silver (code: MBB) to be made out of 14,280 Starlight Silver 75s
Mike Trident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2019, 21:40   #14
Mike Trident
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTi Saloon & Citroen C1

I must add, if the capacity of a diesel is 6.8 l

And I pour a 5l and two 1l cans in to get the level to the high Mark on the dipstick, there can't be 1l left in?

Allowing for the amount that stays in the oil bottles, I must be putting in about 6.8l so it can't be far off totally empty surely?

BORN
Tuesday, 5th October 2004 @ 12:35:52
This vehicle was the 104,679th 75 to run off the production line, out of 112,381
This vehicle was the 3,318th 75 CDT Connoisseur SE (135) to be made out of 4,744
This vehicle was the 12,440th 75 in Starlight Silver (code: MBB) to be made out of 14,280 Starlight Silver 75s
Mike Trident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2019, 21:53   #15
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post
The answer is simple, if you cannot change the oil from underneath for whatever reason, be it ill health, nowhere to do the job, etc etc etc then employ someone else to do the job on your behalf.

When I'm servicing a 1000HP Caterpillar diesel generating set, the lube oil, all 73 litres of it, comes out of the bottom, and a sample of the used oil sent to Desford for analysis.

Suction pumps are not fit for purpose, if they make you feel better about "doing your bit" then that's great, but make no mistake they don't do the job well at all, and the reason for the sump plug being on the bottom is to drain the old lube oil as completely as it is possible to do so.

I've just bought 20 litres of oil, and I've three oil changes to do on the fleet later on...........once one of them, currently elevated, is down off the ramps and run up to temperature with a fast motorway run.

I've seen time and time again the results of vehicles that haven't had the oil changed correctly, some catastrophic, and others not so much, but I've no desire to subject any car of mine to a "half a job" oil change thanks

Brian

Brian - I'm disappointed to note that you take shortcuts rather than doing the job properly.

I would have thought that you would be empolying the technique used on modern automatic gearboxes where the new oil is pumped into the machine and old out whist the machine is running until at least 200% oil has been through the machine.

Surely, that would be the proper way to do it.

All these people taking shortcuts......
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2019, 20:23   #16
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mss View Post
Brian - I'm disappointed to note that you take shortcuts rather than doing the job properly.

I would have thought that you would be empolying the technique used on modern automatic gearboxes where the new oil is pumped into the machine and old out whist the machine is running until at least 200% oil has been through the machine.

Surely, that would be the proper way to do it.

All these people taking shortcuts......
What job are we talking of here Maninder? if we are talking about the Caterpillar generating set, then I'm adhering to the letter of the workshop manual.............after all I wouldn't want to have to pay for a replacement SR4B

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2019, 23:37   #17
Sheraton
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 1.8t

Quote:
What job are we talking of here Maninder? if we are talking about the Caterpillar generating set, then I'm adhering to the letter of the workshop manual.............after all I wouldn't want to have to pay for a replacement SR4B

Brian

lol........ I'm not sure why anyone would suggest a technique for changing "Gearbox" Oil as the best way to change Engine Oil ?

Surely it would be a different story if you try to change Engine Oil while running ? - on any machine ...... Oil pressure could be an issue....

Paul.
Sheraton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2019, 06:44   #18
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:

Brian

Either really Brian, although I was thinking of the Caterpillar at the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheraton View Post
lol........ I'm not sure why anyone would suggest a technique for changing "Gearbox" Oil as the best way to change Engine Oil ?

Surely it would be a different story if you try to change Engine Oil while running ? - on any machine ...... Oil pressure could be an issue....

Paul.
The sump does not maintain oil pressure!

This is the only method guaranteed to remove almost all traces of the old oil from the engine as otherwise small amounts of oil remain in various places in the engine which can only be diluted/moved to the sump when the engine is running.

The ideal oil change method surely would be to drain the oil conventionally once and then run fresh oil through the engine whilst it is running.
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2019, 07:08   #19
Groundhog
Posted a thing or two

Citroen C5 Aircross

When I bought my Freelander in August 2017 I was lucky enough to have Brian with me to give it the once over.

The car was a 14 year old one owner, with 21k recorded mileage, and a Land Rover
(full service history????)

The first job Brian did was to give it a service, the undertray had never been removed from the day Land Rover fitted it at the factory, the oil was, to put it mildly disgusting .

So when I read threads about pela pumps and how good they are I come to the conclusion the sump plug is put there for a reason.

Last edited by Groundhog; 22nd April 2019 at 07:31..
Groundhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2019, 07:38   #20
roverbarmy
This is my second home

Roverless + 1.7D Sportage

Thanked 2,021 Times in 1,449 Posts
Default Micro filters?

We used to have a system fitted to the oil pressure switches on some of our trucks which micro filtered the oil. It took some of the oil via the pressure switch connection, through the micro filter and back to the sump.
Similar to this system:-
https://www.micfil.net/hp/
They can be used on engine oil and diesel to good effect.
We fitted one (supplied FOC by the rep) to an old Leyland Boxer which did a lot of stop start work, to an engine with old, dirty oil in it. Within a couple of days, the oil went from black, to normal clean oil colour! We had several over the years and coincidence or not, they worked well. The company claimed that the oil changes could be extended or even in some cases eliminated completely.You just changed the microfilters.

Vid link

Last edited by roverbarmy; 22nd April 2019 at 07:44..
roverbarmy is offline   Reply With Quote