Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 20th April 2019, 21:33   #1
lektrix

Rover 75 Saloon

Default Diesel Automatic 999999 mileage error....

Hello to everybody.
I have read about this issue on the forum before but am unable to locate the information I have seen previously. I have this error on my diesel 75 which occurred after the alternator failed. As I understand the memory chip on the instrument cluster becomes corrupt or damaged and needs to be replaced. After it is replaced it can be backed up with information which is stored in other modules within the car. From information I have read I gather that it is not as simple as just obtaining a new memory chip which are readily available and soldering it in. The chip has to have a certain amount of programming carried out before it can be used in the instrument cluster. I am sure that I read here that somebody was able to do that part. That is my question, is it possible to obtain the prepared memory chip? Many thanks in advance. Stephen.

Last edited by lektrix; 20th April 2019 at 21:36..
lektrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2019, 21:47   #2
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Not prepared, however not so involved to fix if you know how

The IPK needs to be returned to a virgin state, then reintroduced to the car with T4.

Mileage is stored in various places, key, immobiliser, light switch etc, so the "new" IPK will pick up the correct mileage once reprogrammed, along with the VIN and the central coding key.

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2019, 20:56   #3
lektrix

Rover 75 Saloon

Hello Brain,
Many thanks for the reply and sorry I have not followed up sooner.
The question is, how do you return the IPK to a virgin state. I presume it is not just a case of soldering in a new eeprom?
Or is it? And then using Testbook to complete the installation.
Please can you advise further.
Many thanks in advance. Stephen.
Old 12th May 2019, 21:01   #4
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lektrix View Post
Hello Brain,
Many thanks for the reply and sorry I have not followed up sooner.
The question is, how do you return the IPK to a virgin state. I presume it is not just a case of soldering in a new eeprom?
Or is it? And then using Testbook to complete the installation.
Please can you advise further.
Many thanks in advance. Stephen.
It is a case of soldering in a new EEprom, not a blank one however but one containing the data of a new IPK, then introducing it to the car with TestBook

The mileage store is in the key, LSM and EWS3, and TestBook picks this and other pertinent data up and writes it to the EEprom.

So the question is, are you able to solder an SOIC8 sized serial EEP, and have access to TestBook?

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2019, 20:22   #5
lektrix

Rover 75 Saloon

Hello Brain,
Thank you for your reply once again. That is what I had understood from previous discussions regarding this issue, the eeprom requires some information to be written to it before use. Yes the soldering is no problem, I know they are small surface mount jobbies. Testbook, I am working on gaining access to one.
I have new eeprom's, how do I prepare it ready to be used?
Just to point out that I am not fitting a new IPK to my vehicle, rather I am trying to remove the 999999 error and restore the total miles display. The IPK I am repairing is the original from my car. The 999999 error appearing after alternator failure. All other functions of the IPk are fine. Thank you in advance. Stephen.
Old 23rd February 2020, 10:33   #6
gpv

MG ZT-T

Hi Lektrix / Brian,

I'm currently having the same problem with a ZT-T KV6 (mk2, 2005) from a friend: showing 999999 after a battery disconnect
(As this problem looks a lot like Lektrix's problem I decided to append to this thread, although it's almost a year old.)

Lektrix, did you fix this problem?

Is there an 'easy' step to make an IPK eeprom to be recognised as virgin? Like setting the mileage area to all "00" and the area(s) where the VIN is stored to all "FF"?

Or is it possible to only set the correct mileage in the 0x40-0x4B area? Or does this not work when eeprom-data is corrupted? Or do you always need to reset the module and redo the ZCS coding, taking the ZCS-info from the LCM?

BMW Scanner can connect but sees only a mileage of 2km, so the mileage is incorrect. I can access the eeprom content via BMW Scanner, but it gives an error writing the mileage or data to the mileage area.
So I probably need to remove the IPK from the car and directly connect to the 93S56-eeprom itself to change its content?
Is there a pinout to connect to the eeprom from the other side? So no need to remove the dials and put stress on the flexcable of the upper display?

Do you have any tips?

Thanks in advance!

Best regards,
Geert

Last edited by gpv; 23rd February 2020 at 15:19.. Reason: added more info
gpv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2020, 17:43   #7
Yorkshire GOC
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 connoisseur se v6 auto

Hello - Brian is no longer posting on the site - i would PM Big Russ to see if he can advise - if it requires a T4 Reset you may have to post your IPK to Russ to have it sorted.

The Silver Machine was the 13th of 160 Rover 75's to come off the production line that day and is the 100th of 527 Starlight Silver Rover 75 2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE Auto saloons listed in the build records produced world wide.
Yorkshire GOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2020, 17:48   #8
gpv

MG ZT-T

Ok. Thank you!
I'll contact Big Russ.
Old 23rd February 2020, 18:13   #9
Rick-sta
This is my second home

MG ZT 2.0 CDTI+ in Typhoon, MG TF 135 in Typhoon & Rover 75 Connoisseur CDTI SE in Pearl Black

Thanked 2,827 Times in 1,462 Posts

I can sort this issue for anyone down in the South East. I'm based in Essex.
How to restore cloudy projector headlights Link
Rick-sta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2020, 19:00   #10
gpv

MG ZT-T

Hi Rick,

I'm located in The Netherlands, near The Hague. It would be nice to fix this problem ourselves, with a little help from this forum

I have the tools to read/write to an eeprom directly. Only I don't know how to fix it. And because I need to open up the IPK, with its fragile display ribbon, I want to put the correct info there in my first try :p

I found information to change the mileage (which uses another format than found in the ipk?? but people confirmed it works), but I don't know if this is sufficient to fix the 999999 error.
If more data is corrupted (VIN looks good though) it would probably be the best solution to put a virgin dump into it and then recode it. But I don't have a virgin dump...

Can you help? How can I make a dump virgin?

Thanks in advance!
Geert