Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 21st April 2019, 16:59   #1
Gunnerhavesome
Avid contributor

2001 Rover 75 2.0 V6 Con SE, Range Rover P38 4.6 for my Russian winter home

Location: France Feb to October/Sevastopol Crimea November to Jan
Question Where is my water going again

Hi Guys and Gals,

The phantom has struck again. I had this issue a few years ago and it went away after replacing the header tank top but I don't believe that is the real issue.
Any ideas from anyone is most welcome.

I drove from Hertfordshire to La Rochelle in France no water used. Drove to Le Bugue in the Dordogne and no water used. Pootled around the Dordogne for weeks no issue. Topped up the tank with about a cup of water for preparation of a drive and drove on motorways over 200 miles to Biarritz no issue. Stopped overnight and topped up the tank with about a cup of water again and drove to the Pyrenees over 200 miles of up to 130 km an hour on motorways and then mountain roads . Parked overnight next day had to put in 2.5 ltrs drove 20 mins to the local town and on the way back temp gauge shot up the dropped but pulled over and when cooled had to put in another 2.5 ltrs. luckily for ever I have always carried spare water with anti freeze in the boot. Today checked again and put in another 2.5 ltrs. I cannot find a leak it is not going into the oil good news. not going into the V. No steam coming out the back or under the bonnet or drips on the floor and not coming out through the top. Puzzled and mystified, but don't want to put into a garage to check as it could become expensive if they don't find it as it just seems very random of when this happens.
Again any ideas as to this issue most welcome.
Gunnerhavesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2019, 09:05   #2
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Hello Graeme,

Have you carried out the 'demist test' to check that your radiator fan is working on the slow speed?

Simon
Old 22nd April 2019, 09:12   #3
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

I have read that the rear bank of cylinders, the manifold is a good place to look for leaks. If you have an undertray on, I suggest you remove it and after a short run, leave it overnight, and see if there is any water on the floor in the morning. Get a mirror and have a look at the rear bank exhaust manifold for staining. ( Antifreeze colour)
Old 22nd April 2019, 09:55   #4
Lord of Hog
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 2.5 V6 in Wedgwood Blue

Unless you've got a catastrophic component failure you probably won't see great clouds of steam, and of course an emergency top up of the cooling circuit will entail lots of air pockets which will then produce their own set of symptoms to distract you from the original ones. Add to that the fact that coolant clings to whatever surface it's on in search of the most direct route downwards and generally evaporates on the warm bits before it gets there.

If your fan is doing what it should, there's no coolant in the V and you're certain you haven't lost a hose then have a look at the plastic elbow on the radiator and then the radiator itself. Both can leak copiously without leaving any obvious trace under the car.

Conformity is not morality.
Consensus is not truth.
Lord of Hog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2019, 11:36   #5
Gunnerhavesome
Avid contributor

Default Found it almost

Thanks guys for all your suggestions, this has been an on and off issue for 2 years.

Finally went out this morning and put another 1ltr in the front looked underneath and its coming out from the back so for the first time I now have a clue so whatever it is it has gotten worse but now I can sort it and have plenty of time to do it and its not gone on a motorway.

So as I don't have any major kit with me its off to the frog doctor tomorrow but at least when I get it up in the air and the undertray off I can get a result.

When I finally get a diagnosis i'll post and let you all know.

Thanks again for your ideas.

Graeme
Old 22nd April 2019, 11:59   #6
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnerhavesome View Post
.. its off to the frog doctor tomorrow ....
When I finally get a diagnosis i'll post and let you all know.
If that diagnosis should include the words 'head' and 'gasket' then thank the doc politely, tell him that you'll consider your position, leave the premises promptly and lock your credit card in the family safe.

Then come back to us for a further discussion.

Simon
Old 22nd April 2019, 12:17   #7
Gunnerhavesome
Avid contributor

Thanks Simon, I will keep that in mind but hoping that is not what he finds.
Old 23rd April 2019, 16:31   #8
kaiser
This is my second home

75 Tourer 2.5 Auto, 1.8T, 75V8ZT

Thermostat, water pump, oil cooler, radiator, metal coolant pipes.
Plus a check on all other plastic bits and rubber pipes.
Old 24th April 2019, 15:32   #9
Gunnerhavesome
Avid contributor

Took the car to the local Frog doctor yesterday and the only one in driving distance with a water leak. He came outside looked at the car and basically said I wont touch that you had better call your assistance. So came back to where I am staying and left it overnight, called the recovery people this morning they called me back and said the truck will be there in 15 mins. Hmmm thinks I, I know where that is coming from and lo and behold same guy who would not touch it came and recovered it to his garage. Guessing he gets paid more for a call out than a drive in. But still said depending on the diagnosis still may not want to repair it. So at the moment still none the wiser to the problem until tomorrow. But pleased I have breakdown assistance.
Old 25th April 2019, 11:08   #10
Gunnerhavesome
Avid contributor

Unhappy Water pump apprently

Apparently the water pump needs replacing along with the cam belt????? so the man says???? but better than the dreaded head gasket. Cant understand why that would leak out the back but that's guessing as I couldn't get underneath and that's where it looked like it was leaking. Any body any ideas what that would cost to do in the UK? I know that I can get a water pump from Dmgrs for about 50 quid plus shipping to France. Its the time and labour I'm wondering about.

Plus I am kind of stuck here (a remote village in France) and the recovery people will now not take it to another Garage and because of the cars age will not recover to the UK but I always knew that would never happen. It was always a case of having the coverage just to get me to a workshop from anywhere in case of breakdown.