Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 27th January 2019, 12:04   #91
Darcydog
This is my second home

Thanked 3,170 Times in 2,096 Posts

Maninder - you say in your 1 above that “the number of employees will not be 2”

With respect - you are doing what you have done before and setting up a Strawman argument where you deal with a situation that is not the reality of the truth!

I can only presume this is due to your “reading between the lines” and not what is actually written.

This, IMO, explains a lot.

The issue was - as far as I am aware - ‘how many jobs would Wiltshire/the U.K. lose?’

The answer from Dyson was two.

The other employees in Singapore will be from Singapore.

So by stating the obvious that a company HQ is likely to employ more than two is a fact that is not likely to be disputed - but it is a fact that is not relevant given the plans published by Dyson.

I find it sad that you cause a number of disputes - the Insurance thread being another classic example - where you, by your own admittance, “read between the lines” then argue with people over something they never said!!

Crazy or what?
Darcydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2019, 14:56   #92
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcydog View Post
Maninder - you say in your 1 above that “the number of employees will not be 2”

With respect - you are doing what you have done before and setting up a Strawman argument where you deal with a situation that is not the reality of the truth!

I can only presume this is due to your “reading between the lines” and not what is actually written.

This, IMO, explains a lot.

The issue was - as far as I am aware - ‘how many jobs would Wiltshire/the U.K. lose?’

The answer from Dyson was two.

The other employees in Singapore will be from Singapore.

So by stating the obvious that a company HQ is likely to employ more than two is a fact that is not likely to be disputed - but it is a fact that is not relevant given the plans published by Dyson.

I find it sad that you cause a number of disputes - the Insurance thread being another classic example - where you, by your own admittance, “read between the lines” then argue with people over something they never said!!

Crazy or what?
Clive, There is no "strawman argument" in my post. What the post does do is highlight the reality of the situation, which is different from the presentation.

There is a skill that I learned sometime ago from some very wise and competent individuals. This is that when engaging in an exchange that is important, you listen carefully to what is said by the other party. But, you listen even more carefully to what is not said. This is how you build up the true picture.

What you are doing here in your post above is what you always do when you do not feel in a position to challenge another's viewpoints. You try to discredit the poster. In other words, you start playing the player rather than the game.

This is why I no longer bother engaging with you. I do not consider it worth expending my time or intellect on an exchange with you.

I have seen similar tactics before. They occur when someone feels that they should be better than they are but know that this is unachievable. In these circumstances, they start to attack the others.

I believe the follwoing is a good, fair article on what actually happened at the press briefing. Dyson's was not actually there so your facts are somewhat, shall we say, manufactured!

https://www.ft.com/content/02a636d8-...7-97e4dbd3580d

I will leave my engagement with you re Dyson there.
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2019, 15:33   #93
Darcydog
This is my second home

Thanked 3,170 Times in 2,096 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mss View Post
Clive, There is no "strawman argument" in my post. What the post does do is highlight the reality of the situation, which is different from the presentation.

There is a skill that I learned sometime ago from some very wise and competent individuals. This is that when engaging in an exchange that is important, you listen carefully to what is said by the other party. But, you listen even more carefully to what is not said. This is how you build up the true picture.

What you are doing here in your post above is what you always do when you do not feel in a position to challenge another's viewpoints. You try to discredit the poster. In other words, you start playing the player rather than the game.

This is why I no longer bother engaging with you. I do not consider it worth expending my time or intellect on an exchange with you.

I have seen similar tactics before. They occur when someone feels that they should be better than they are but know that this is unachievable. In these circumstances, they start to attack the others.

I believe the follwoing is a good, fair article on what actually happened at the press briefing. Dyson's was not actually there so your facts are somewhat, shall we say, manufactured!

https://www.ft.com/content/02a636d8-...7-97e4dbd3580d

I will leave my engagement with you re Dyson there.
Somehow I expected that.

I must have been “reading between the lines..........”

Darcydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2019, 09:12   #94
wraymond
This is my second home

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts

Really so sorry to revive this thread, BUT, in the news today that next Thursday is the last day that those submitting self-employed income tax returns must comply and make their returns. They also have to make their first payment in advance for the coming tax year. A footnote is that Sir James Dyson last year paid £128 million in personal tax. Say nothing more but a large thank you to him!
I wonder how many MRI Scanners or hip operations for the elderly that buys.
Old 29th January 2019, 09:46   #95
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Default Taxes

Similarly, I'd like to thank BT for paying £1.065 billion in tax last reported year, of which corporation tax alone was £471 million.

In addition, it collected and paid to the treasury income tax of £851m from the people that it employs directly in the UK.

Not to mention the £2.1billion that it paid in VAT in the same year.

Every little contribution helps and I am sure all will agree that we should be grateful for these tax contributions from companies that wholeheartedly support the UK working population.

Last edited by MSS; 29th January 2019 at 18:23..
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2019, 17:50   #96
SideValve
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon

Next logical step is to make sure that lucrative government contracts only go to companies that pay the proper amount of tax in the UK.
The Story So Far: Austin A35, Morris Oxford, Triumph Herald, Mini 850, Mini 1000, Austin Allegro, MG Midget, MGB GT, Rover SD1 2600, Austin Maxi, Rover 200, Rover 825, Rover 800, Bedford TK, Range Rover 3.9 efi, Rover 400, Rover 100, MGF, Rover 25, Rover 75 1.8, Rover 75 Connoisseur SE 2.0 V6, MGF 1.8i, Rover 75 Connoisseur 2.0 V6 Auto, Morris Eight Series E, Morris Minor 1275.
SideValve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2020, 11:20   #97
Lancpudn
This is my second home

MG ZS EV

Thanked 3,427 Times in 2,565 Posts

A couple of pics of Dyson's electric car have finally surfaced and it was indeed a 7 seater behemoth weighing in at 2.5 tons & would have cost £150000 just to make.
https://electrek.co/2020/05/18/dyson...-electric-car/

Blessed are the tea makers.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3b...auto-2000_auto

Last edited by Lancpudn; 19th May 2020 at 11:33..
Lancpudn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2020, 13:39   #98
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business...act-cancelled/

From the Express and Star
Inventor Sir James Dyson is the richest person in the UK for the first time, as the Brexit-backing entrepreneur saw his wealth grow by £3.6 billion over the past year, climbing to £16.2 billion.

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote