Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

Thanked 7,017 Times in 4,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mss View Post
Morning Phil,

My dislike of Dyson as a person is for three fundamental reasons as follows:

1. His businesses have been involved in what appear to be questionable tax avoidance activities that have never been explained . https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/...mes-Dyson.html

2. He has campaigned to make it easier for businesses to hire & fire people. This would improve his business' financials but a significant cost will be borne by the employed (then unemployed) and the consequently taxpayer.

3. He does not believe that PLCs should have to file company financial performance returns. So, he wants the benefits of his business being a PLC e.g. protection from creditors, but not to be transparent about the profits being generated, dividends etc.

4. It is generally believed that his buying up land is done with the aim of avoiding inheritance tax.

In my view, it is all about Mr Dyson & family with little regard for the greater good or their social responsibility and certainly the human cost that his beliefs would inflict on the working population.

Well done to your nephew - is he developing a good understanding of accountancy and tax.
Thank you for your comments
Gate Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2018, 14:26   #22
KWIL
Precise

Rover 75 Tourer 2.5KV6 Connoisseur SE

The EU takes 70% of OK lamb production, a good example of why putting all of one's eggs (or should it be lamb) in 1 basket is not a good idea.

Been too easy just to sell to the EU and ignore other markets, and this applies to many products.

Very happy to buy British lamb when in season.
KWIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2018, 16:17   #23
Simondi
Regional Secretary

MGTF, MG ZS EV Exclusive

Thanked 3,563 Times in 1,857 Posts

I've closed one Brexit thread today already, please keep this thread on topic about Mr Dyson.
I don't believe he manufacturers livestock, arable or anything else covered by the Common Agricultural Policy so don't see why this has been raised.
I've not deleted the posts as spam yet but if this Brexit debate continues the thread will be closed.
As I mentioned on another thread lots of places away from this car club to discuss Brexit.
Simondi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2018, 16:51   #24
Groundsman Willie
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 1.8t

Dual cyclone cows........the milk would come out ready frothed for a cappuccino.
Sorry.........I'll shut the door on my way out
Old 24th October 2018, 20:28   #25
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simondi View Post
I've closed one Brexit thread today already, please keep this thread on topic about Mr Dyson.
I don't believe he manufacturers livestock, arable or anything else covered by the Common Agricultural Policy so don't see why this has been raised.
I've not deleted the posts as spam yet but if this Brexit debate continues the thread will be closed.
As I mentioned on another thread lots of places away from this car club to discuss Brexit.
On my photography forum, there is a Brexit thread which is now running up to 1769 posts on the subject, even the moderators join in but with their mod hats off. Since that thread started, only one member was banned for persistently over stepping the mark with his insulting remarks, despite many warnings. If I want to comment about Brexit, I go there.

Mr Dyson owning 33,000 acres is not an issue, when the the Church of England owns 105,000 acres. Selling it off would have a transformative effect on the UK's housing crisis. Just a thought
Old 25th October 2018, 06:22   #26
topman
This is my second home

MG ZT-T 190

He certainly farms the several ones of his I've been on. Very little left idle from what I can see.

http://www.qwghlm.co.uk/toys/dailymail/
topman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2018, 06:49   #27
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

Anders Povlsen is Scotland’s largest landowner, with some 218,000 acres and counting. He owns 11 estates in Scotland and argues he is saving and preserving the land and traditions, something which the anti-Dyson fraternity will not be able to see, my last point
Old 25th October 2018, 10:15   #28
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

There is a reason that Germany and China have the strongest and most resilient economies. It is all to do with their strategy to focus on manufacturing.

Without manufacturing of the fundamental necessities, economies rely on profits through reselling financial risk and retail. They then become increasingly exposed to market volatility - we have still not recovered from the last financial crisis.

Interestingly, Dyson has been a long-term preacher and lobbyist of the importance of manufacturing in the UK. Of course, preaching is not the same as practicing where his own wealth is concerned.

I would suggest that you refrain from commenting on anyone, for any reason, that may have or have had some views on Brexit. Otherwise the forum Brexiteers will be after you.
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2018, 13:26   #29
Darcydog
This is my second home

Thanked 3,170 Times in 2,096 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mss View Post
There is a reason that Germany and China have the strongest and most resilient economies. It is all to do with their strategy to focus on manufacturing.

Without manufacturing of the fundamental necessities, economies rely on profits through reselling financial risk and retail. They then become increasingly exposed to market volatility - we have still not recovered from the last financial crisis.

Interestingly, Dyson has been a long-term preacher and lobbyist of the importance of manufacturing in the UK. Of course, preaching is not the same as practicing where his own wealth is concerned.

I would suggest that you refrain from commenting on anyone, for any reason, that may have or have had some views on Brexit. Otherwise the forum Brexiteers will be after you.
Maninder - I am not going to bite despite your normal provocation - as I do believe that we should all abide by the “no Brexit” agreement - even tho you and a few others seem unable to act responsibly.

As for Germany’s manufacturing - do yourself a favour and research how Germany set the rules on the Euro to favour its manufacturing at the expense of the rest of the Eurozone.

The anti EU sentiment that is now a real force for change exists as a direct result of Germany’s manipulations

The call for changes to Italy’s budget from the unelected European Commission is just the latest example. And another nail in the coffin of the deeply flawed Euro experiment that was only ever a device to make German goods affordable.

But the sad thing is - this is achieved at the expense of other countries economies and democratic process.
Darcydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2018, 18:12   #30
steve-45
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon CDTi

Thanked 1,089 Times in 774 Posts

Rethink Dyson and his electric vehicles, what I would like to know is when is someone going to produce a cost effective model that can compete with an internal combustion engined model ?
steve-45 is offline   Reply With Quote