Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 3rd January 2019, 21:43   #1
Rsnail
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon

Default Sporadically no clutch

Hello guys, over the last few days my 2.0 V6 developed a problem. It started about 2 days ago with a little "warning". Normally driving, and then suddenly the clutch pedal didn't come back up for a small instant right after shifting gear, and then in less than a second or so I felt it "hitting" my foot, norally coming back up. This happened twice that day. Then yesterday, the problem developed to the point where for a few more times the clutch was completely gone for like 1-2 minutes, clutch pedal all the way to the floor and after a few very hard gear shifts with the lever barely going into gear, it returned back to normal conditions like nothing happened. Today, same thing, but now even more often, and it happens random and in a sporadic manner, right now in the evening, got back home, and for the last 5 minutes before managing to drive the car around a few times to see if it comes back to normal, still, nothing changed, the pedal now hardly comes back up sometimes and sometimes stays flat on the floor, and no clutch at all, and all of this happens regardless if the engine is on or off. Any ideas?
Rsnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2019, 21:55   #2
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

By the sound of the symptoms, the seal lip on the slave cylinder is partially turned and catching.

Sorry, but it's time for a new clutch

On the plus side it will be lovely and light after it's been changed

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2019, 07:06   #3
vilas66
Avid contributor

Rover 75 CDTi Tourer, CDTi Tourer, Saloon

Can be the slave as Brian suggest. However i had the same symptoms on mine (two times in three years). I flushed the hydraulics and bled the system with fresh oil and on both occasions I gave the clutch a second life. May be you have, like me, a dirty master that compromise the operation of the valve and preventing the fluid coming back into the master when You release the pedal. Worth a try... otherwise as Brian said, slave.
Old 4th January 2019, 15:30   #4
Rsnail
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon

So, as the mechanic explained to me, the master cylinder was empty and no fluid inside of it, even though the recipient for the fluid topping was fully filled. As he explained, the master cylinder side was dirty and the fluid couldn't pass through, now he cleaned it, filled up the master and now it runs reaaally pleasant and smooth as silk. Hope it keeps that up.
Old 4th January 2019, 17:20   #5
planenut
Regional Secretary

Rover 1.8T Tourer

Thanked 2,036 Times in 1,264 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rsnail View Post
So, as the mechanic explained to me, the master cylinder was empty and no fluid inside of it, even though the recipient for the fluid topping was fully filled. As he explained, the master cylinder side was dirty and the fluid couldn't pass through, now he cleaned it, filled up the master and now it runs reaaally pleasant and smooth as silk. Hope it keeps that up.
Nice one. Any fluid on the carpet below the pedal?
planenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2019, 18:13   #6
Rsnail
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon

Absolutely none! No leakage at all, that was the reason why it also got me wondering... The mechanic told me that he thinks that the system was leaking very little at a time for an extended amount of time. I was also wondering now and then why the first 1/4th of the clutch's movement was always sloppy and the whole movement was feeling more and more "saggy" over time, and by this notion of time I mean in the last 2 years where no work implying clutch parts has been done. Hope that this would hold me now another 1-2 years and I'll be happy about it
Old 4th January 2019, 18:15   #7
marinabrian

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rsnail View Post
This was the case for mine, and I managed 2000KM between bleeding cycles.

The makeup valve in the master is clogged with debris, explaining the intermittent bite point in the clutch, however where has the fluid escaped to?? and unless the master cylinder is leaking, or the pipework, the answer lies in the slave cylinder I'm afraid.

It is very likely a short term reprieve I fear

Brian
Old 4th January 2019, 19:15   #8
planenut
Regional Secretary

Rover 1.8T Tourer

Thanked 2,036 Times in 1,264 Posts

Might as well let it run then, good luck.
planenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2019, 19:51   #9
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

If you garage the car put a piece of clean cardboard under the engine.

If the slave has slowly lost that amount of fluid then what is left on the under-try will still be dripping of the bottom of tray.

It will give you an idea what might be failing.
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2019, 19:57   #10
marinabrian

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLVERT View Post
If you garage the car put a piece of clean cardboard under the engine.

If the slave has slowly lost that amount of fluid then what is left on the under-try will still be dripping of the bottom of tray.

It will give you an idea what might be failing.
Not always the case John, leaks of this type tend to be "mopped up" by the friction material dust inside the bellhousing.

This was certainly the case with mine in any event

Brian