COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2019, 16:01   #24
yelnats
Avid contributor

MGZT-T CDTI+135 AUTO

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevestrat View Post
The house has some kind of insulating board behind the radiators, the side facing the radiators is silvered. My folks fitted it years ago.
Hi Colvert,should have said I was referring to this.(I'm not very good but I try)
yelnats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2019, 17:34   #25
Darcydog
This is my second home

Thanked 3,170 Times in 2,096 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLVERT View Post
All the correct solutions in your post--10/10

The drying the air part. If it gets too dry it will give you sore eyes.---

I've had three Worcester boilers. One for over 15 years. All have done the job required of them. The 15 year one heated a four story 12 roomed house very efficiently.--( 15 radiators. )--All the plumbing done by myself.

Another post mentioned a boiler shut down due to low water pressure. Of course that is NOT a fault of the boiler but of the water company.
All boilers automatically shut down if the water supply drops below a pre-determined minimum pressure. ( called a safety control. )

As you say, good insulation is the be all and end all.

The heat is not lost trying to heat the fabric of the house. Very little is needed there. Just enough to stop damp and no more.

Paying to get the walls hot makes no sense at all and is a complete waste of money.
I obviously disagree. And would suggest you haven’t tried it or you too would be a convert.

We found this out over a decade ago when my wife was very ill and had to have a couple of operations. Her recovery was long and she was discharged from hospital in the November of that year.

Up until that point the heating in our house was programmed to come on morning and evening.

But we said “what the heck - for my wife’s recovery we will have it on all the time. And we expected a huge bill because of this.

To be fair the heating for the first couple of weeks was coming on a lot - but after a while we realised that the whole house was really “comfortably warm” - and the boiler only came on for a limited time regularly throughout the day and night.

The bills were no more than we would normally pay as we paid monthly and there was no increase at our review point.

This, together with a much warmer and cosy house converted us to the reality of getting “the whole house warm”.

I post this as the reality of my experience- I’m not bothered if closed minds cannot comprehend.

Their problem - certainly not mine!!
Darcydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2019, 19:39   #26
grivas
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 CDT Club Tourer

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcydog View Post
Totally agree with all that you say with the exception of Combi Boilers - just about everyone we know who have these has had problems with pressure drop such that the boiler shuts down.

This happened to two friends last year whilst the “Beast from the East” was visiting. Not funny at all being without heating and hot water for a week or so!

Meanwhile our old Potterton Flamingo carries on as normal with just its regular annual service. It’s over 30 years old now and so well built it is infinitely repairable - not that it has ever needed any more than the odd sensor.

We also have PV solar panels with a gizmo that dumps what power we don’t use into our hot water tank via an immersion heater.

Obviously a combination boiler without a hot water tank would not allow this hugely advantageous facility.
Pressure drop is not a universal issue with a correctly serviced combi boiler, and if it happens it is a readily sorted issue, I am amazed that a 30 year old boiler works efficiently, however if it works for you that is the main point.
grivas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2019, 19:52   #27
Darcydog
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by grivas View Post
Pressure drop is not a universal issue with a correctly serviced combi boiler, and if it happens it is a readily sorted issue, I am amazed that a 30 year old boiler works efficiently, however if it works for you that is the main point.
My experience is that combi boilers last between 8 to 14 years. Our boiler engineer is “old school” - his advice is ‘if it ain’t broke don’t fix it’.

The Potterton Flamingo has proved itself to be totally reliable and I’m told it is built to last. It may fall down on the efficiency stakes a tad - but when I hear of the hassles people have with combi boilers - forgive me for sticking with what works and owes me nothing.
Old 17th January 2019, 13:37   #28
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Quote:
I obviously disagree. And would suggest you haven’t tried it or you too would be a convert.

We found this out over a decade ago when my wife was very ill and had to have a couple of operations. Her recovery was long and she was discharged from hospital in the November of that year.

Up until that point the heating in our house was programmed to come on morning and evening.

But we said “what the heck - for my wife’s recovery we will have it on all the time. And we expected a huge bill because of this.

To be fair the heating for the first couple of weeks was coming on a lot - but after a while we realised that the whole house was really “comfortably warm” - and the boiler only came on for a limited time regularly throughout the day and night.

The bills were no more than we would normally pay as we paid monthly and there was no increase at our review point.

This, together with a much warmer and cosy house converted us to the reality of getting “the whole house warm”.

I post this as the reality of my experience- I’m not bothered if closed minds cannot comprehend.

Their problem - certainly not mine!!
No argument from me. I simply like fact finding and debate.

My experience.

Apprenticed toolmaker. Then design drawing office for 15 years.
Mechanical engineering up to and design of parts for Rapier guided missile system.
Decided on a change of career so studied and went into the building and construction engineering side of things as I wanted to work outside of an office.
Spent the next 30 years building and road construction.

One of my highlights was the construction of the country mansion for the Duke of Somerset in Devon.

Definitely not a career for a closed mind.--Lots of time taken up in problem solving.

Try hard to always be Objective and not Subjective and deal in facts and not supposition.

But as I usually end up trying to say---We all have our own opinions and that's what makes life interesting don't you think.---
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2019, 14:16   #29
grivas
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 CDT Club Tourer

Smile

Quote:
My experience is that combi boilers last between 8 to 14 years. Our boiler engineer is “old school” - his advice is ‘if it ain’t broke don’t fix it’.

The Potterton Flamingo has proved itself to be totally reliable and I’m told it is built to last. It may fall down on the efficiency stakes a tad - but when I hear of the hassles people have with combi boilers - forgive me for sticking with what works and owes me nothing.
No need to apologise, certainly a testament to the quality of engineering that has gone into building the Flamingo in the first place, as I said if it works for you, that is all that matters.
grivas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2019, 14:27   #30
Darcydog
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLVERT View Post
No argument from me. I simply like fact finding and debate.

My experience.

Apprenticed toolmaker. Then design drawing office for 15 years.
Mechanical engineering up to and design of parts for Rapier guided missile system.
Decided on a change of career so studied and went into the building and construction engineering side of things as I wanted to work outside of an office.
Spent the next 30 years building and road construction.

One of my highlights was the construction of the country mansion for the Duke of Somerset in Devon.

Definitely not a career for a closed mind.--Lots of time taken up in problem solving.

Try hard to always be Objective and not Subjective and deal in facts and not supposition.

But as I usually end up trying to say---We all have our own opinions and that's what makes life interesting don't you think.---
Indeed it does. Experience does count. My experience of what happens in two homes - our old house and the one we are in now tells me it costs no more to get the whole “fabric” of the house warm than heating up the air within it then allowing a cold house to cool that same air all over again.

No disrespect but I am wary of those who cite 20 to 30 years of experience as justification for not taking on board a concept they disagree with.

I have often found that the “experience” they really have is just one or two years but it is now 20 to 30 years old..