Notices

Old 18th January 2019, 18:41   #11
Dallas
This is my second home

1979 Capri 1.6L, 1982 Capri 1.6L, 2016 Dacia Stepway

Thanked 3,397 Times in 2,218 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by trikey View Post
I see the local authority has reduced the speed limit on the road from 60 to 50 already.

Now how many times have folk been seriously injured or killed on our roads and nothing has happened?

Boils my p1ss that something happens to one of the royal family and everyone jumps through hoops.

Andy, If its true that the Duke was dazzled by the sun, I'm sure the queen would have already thought about having the sun shot from the sky.

I bet talks are already in progress to have the moon take-out the sun on its next pass/eclipse.
Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2019, 18:48   #12
wullie480
This is my second home

Thanked 1,022 Times in 786 Posts

Quote:
I see the local authority has reduced the speed limit on the road from 60 to 50 already.

Now how many times have folk been seriously injured or killed on our roads and nothing has happened?

Boils my p1ss that something happens to one of the royal family and everyone jumps through hoops.

I think the meeting was already planned but has only got some headlines because of the accident. The way it’s being reported you’d think it’s because of the accident but it isn’t the case.
Old 18th January 2019, 18:53   #13
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wullie480 View Post
I think the meeting was already planned but has only got some headlines because of the accident. The way it’s being reported you’d think it’s because of the accident but it isn’t the case.
Bit of a coincidence don't ya think?
Old 18th January 2019, 19:47   #14
Snetty
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75

Quote:

This stretch of road is only a couple of miles from me, and to be honest there have not been many incidents at that junction. There have been fatal accidents along that stretch but cant recall any at that junction so to reduce the speed limit is completely ott.
Snetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2019, 19:54   #15
Andy_with_a_screwdriver
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Tourer CDTi

Quote:

Everyone knows a local council couldn't possibly organise anything that quickly

Quote:
Originally Posted by wullie480 View Post
As the usual press report anything to make a good story.
Andy_with_a_screwdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2019, 21:10   #16
grivas
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 CDT Club Tourer

Quote:

The only ones jumping through hoops are those who stand to gain, to understand the relevance of today's monarchy one needs to understand the history of these islands, and when that is understood to further understand why the UK is no longer the great nation that it once was, we lost our way, poor leadership, industrial decline, hanging on to tradition is a means of comforting ourselves and convincing ourselves and others that somehow we are still a great imperial power, no longer the case, with Brexit we come a full circle, sadly on our way to being an inward looking, isolated, xenophobic nation, to think this was the country of Shakespeare, Chaucer, the Brontes, Flemming, Elgar, the list is endless, very very sad decline, and more decline..
grivas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2019, 21:32   #17
KLM
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Club CDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by grivas View Post
The only ones jumping through hoops are those who stand to gain, to understand the relevance of today's monarchy one needs to understand the history of these islands, and when that is understood to further understand why the UK is no longer the great nation that it once was, we lost our way, poor leadership, industrial decline, hanging on to tradition is a means of comforting ourselves and convincing ourselves and others that somehow we are still a great imperial power, no longer the case, with Brexit we come a full circle, sadly on our way to being an inward looking, isolated, xenophobic nation, to think this was the country of Shakespeare, Chaucer, the Brontes, Flemming, Elgar, the list is endless, very very sad decline, and more decline..
By the land of 'ope an gory !
No ones to blame,....It's the road wot's at fault,..... it was far too straight.
Kev.
KLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2019, 21:39   #18
Dallas
This is my second home

1979 Capri 1.6L, 1982 Capri 1.6L, 2016 Dacia Stepway

Thanked 3,397 Times in 2,218 Posts

Sun glare can you believe?

Those Land Rovers don't have sun visors do they?
Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2019, 21:51   #19
stevestrat
This is my second home

ZT260 #243 (resting)

Thanked 4,624 Times in 3,358 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas View Post
I'm sure the queen would have already thought about having the sun shot from the sky.
Shooting things from the sky is more Phillip's department.

T4 Location Map
stevestrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2019, 21:51   #20
Darcydog
This is my second home

Thanked 3,170 Times in 2,096 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by grivas View Post
Well Fleming (it is only one m ) was not exactly “top class” - all he did was note in a paper that an obscure fungus contamination had stoped the growth of bacteria in a clear defined zone on a agar plate.

The fungus was only there due to Fleming’s poor sterile technique.

It was Florey and Chain who went on to identify the fungus as Penicillium chrysogenum and so the “magic healing bullet” they then extracted via a fermentation process was the penicillin we use today.

Whilst we must be thankful that Fleming had the good grace to record the results of his agar plate being contaminated - it should be noted that it was Florey and Chain that went on to ask “what caused that?” And so went on to make one of THE greatest scientific discoveries of our time.
Darcydog is offline   Reply With Quote