Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 7th June 2020, 19:10   #1
Scimdaz
Regular poster

Rover 75 Tourer

Default Battery Drain - 2002 diesel tourer

Guys (and gals)

Before the lockdown I started to get the "door open" warning randomly appearing on the dash. A couple of times I pulled over, opened and closed each door, inc both parts of the tailgate (I hate that word, what is it in English?). Made no difference but then, just as randomly, the light would go out again. My car was parked up for a month with lockdown so I wasn't totally unsurprised when it failed to turn over (I hadn't disconnected a lead, as it was in the Company car park, and I wasn't....I hadn't expected to leave it there) so I had taken a spare battery with me. Fresh battery and away we went, even if the cars' old bones took a few miles to loosen up. However there now seems to be a battery drain. The batteries (either of them) discharge in 4-5 days. Plenty of volts are showing on my multimeter when the car is running. I had a new alternator fitted before Christmas. And the batteries don't drop if disconnected. I've been out at midnight to check that there are no lights on inside the car. The "door open" warning still randomly illuminates. Is it unreasonable to assume a connection?

I have checked that usual "go to" for all electrical faults - the flooded plenum. It's bone dry (as has been the weather, mostly, for the last couple of months). I'm no electrical wizzard (although I am good at understatements haha), but I would really appreciate any simple pointers. Muchos gracias in advance for anyones' knowledge.

Last edited by Scimdaz; 7th June 2020 at 19:54..
Scimdaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2020, 19:13   #2
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

on a saloon boot, on a Tourer, tailgate is good

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2020, 19:16   #3
Scimdaz
Regular poster

Rover 75 Tourer

I suppose tailgate it is then - now about these bl@@dy batteries going flat....... LOL
Old 7th June 2020, 19:34   #4
Scimdaz
Regular poster

Rover 75 Tourer

Reading some similar threads - am I correct that if the central locking doesn't activate correctly then the car doesn't "go to sleep"? If so (to my mind at least) it would suggest that the car thinking that a door is open and the battery draining in a few days are connected. (?) So maybe I should turn the question around - in common experience which sensor: door(s), tailgate or bonnet is most likely to be sticky or why else might the car think a door is open? (I had hoped that electrical issues were a thing of the past now I didn't have a plastic car - the clue is in the "handle")

Last edited by Scimdaz; 7th June 2020 at 19:48..
Old 8th June 2020, 17:09   #5
BRMFUN
Avid contributor

MG

Does your dash tell you which door is open?? I think mine does!

Too many cars too little time
BRMFUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2020, 23:53   #6
Scimdaz
Regular poster

Rover 75 Tourer

Hi BRMFUN - no it doesn't and, strangely, I havn't seen the warning light all week either. Used the car every day until yesterday. It'll be interesting to see what the state of play is in the morning when I need to use it. Fingers X'd
Old 14th June 2020, 10:00   #7
Bigal2218
Regular poster

Rover 75 Tourer

Default Battery Drain

Can be a fault in the SatNav drive unit (if you have one) located in the rear offside pocket. Fault may be caused by water ingress into unit.
Bigal2218 is offline   Reply With Quote