Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 5th December 2020, 17:40   #1
Scimdaz
Regular poster

Rover 75 Tourer

Default 160 Remap - pros (and cons?)

I picked up a new (to me, of course) diesel tourer 115 and completed the first 140 of, hopefully, many many miles on less than a 1/4 of a tank of diesel. 190,000 on the clock she runs very sweetly and is a credit to her former owner (take a bow Jim, you know who you are). The only difference I noticed is the power delivery. It is progressive and feels relentless where as my previous diesel tourer, which the seller told me had had an xpower upgrade / remap had a real push in the back once the turbo was properly spinning. Would this have been the 160 remap I've seen mentioned and, if so, what are the cons to go with the "pros"?
Scimdaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2020, 17:52   #2
Phil-Hex
Gets stuck in

Typhoon ZT-T CDTi Bittersweet 135 TF

well i had mine done at 185k and the cars now done 276k and i havent found any cons to having the map on, the cars about to die but thats due to rust not mechanical failure.
Phil-Hex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2020, 18:08   #3
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

con, some insurance companies wont insure the 115 once remapped to 160 as the % increase in HP is too much for them. Adrian Flux however does insure them.
Apart from that cant think of any other cons

At 115 which is what my saloon was it is a bit of a dog and when fully loaded you will notice it struggle.

Pro, wont struggle when fully loaded and can merge a lot better with cars already going faster as it can within reason match their speed.

The CDTI's with the extra BHP already, do not seem to need a remap unless towing a caravan in my experience.

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2020, 18:28   #4
Yorkshire GOC
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 connoisseur se v6 auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scimdaz View Post
I picked up a new (to me, of course) diesel tourer 115 and completed the first 140 of, hopefully, many many miles on less than a 1/4 of a tank of diesel. 190,000 on the clock she runs very sweetly and is a credit to her former owner (take a bow Jim, you know who you are). The only difference I noticed is the power delivery. It is progressive and feels relentless where as my previous diesel tourer, which the seller told me had had an xpower upgrade / remap had a real push in the back once the turbo was properly spinning. Would this have been the 160 remap I've seen mentioned and, if so, what are the cons to go with the "pros"?
If you opt for the remap - and as others have said no cons as such i would PM Bigruss a trader on here who will be able to remap you to 160 - he is just up the M1 from you at Liversedge.

The Silver Machine was the 13th of 160 Rover 75's to come off the production line that day and is the 100th of 527 Starlight Silver Rover 75 2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE Auto saloons listed in the build records produced world wide.
Yorkshire GOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2020, 18:51   #5
Scimdaz
Regular poster

Rover 75 Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkshire GOC View Post
If you opt for the remap - and as others have said no cons as such i would PM Bigruss a trader on here who will be able to remap you to 160 - he is just up the M1 from you at Liversedge.
Cheers, yes I have Big Russ' No. following my woe's of my previous Tourer locking me out. Presumably the power boost has an adverse effect of mpg (hey, I am an adopted Yorkshireman......). The torque band seems wider on the 115 than my previous car but maybe it is just flatter(?)
Old 5th December 2020, 19:24   #6
Rogue
I really should get out more.......

75 CDT SE 160 Saloon

Thanked 1,096 Times in 774 Posts

Quote:
Presumably the power boost has an adverse effect of mpg

No change in fuel consumption under normal driving.. Of course you may be tempted to use the extra ooomph more often which may not help

Glutton for punishment --- Previously ... 2.6 SD1 x 2, 3.5 SD1, 820S, 820Si x2, 216 Gsi, 220T saloon, 414, 45 1.4 x2 and now a Cowley 75 CDT
Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2020, 20:35   #7
Sonic ZS
Posted a thing or two

75 Conn CDT Tourer, 75 Conn SE V6, 75 Conn V6, 75 Conn CDTi Tourer, ZS 180

I must firstly start this post by saying that all modifications should be declared to your insurance company.

But let's be honest, these are old cars now and we're talking about a relatively small power/torque increase over the original, which simply makes them more driveable in modern traffic - it's not turning them into a racing car.

Equally, if an insurance company were to get involved with writing off a 75/ZT, they're highly unlikely to spend thousands of pounds getting the cars ECU interogated to check what tune is present, as I doubt they'd have the knowledge to even know that a 160 version exists ?

With no visual identification that there's been an increase, I'd be amazed if an insurance assessor has the time, funds or facilities to bother checking whats contained in what must now be deemed as an 'oldie'

Unless I'm missing something, of course...???
Old 6th December 2020, 13:06   #8
Scimdaz
Regular poster

Rover 75 Tourer

[QUOTE=Rogue;2852317]No change in fuel consumption under normal driving.. Of course you may be tempted to use the extra ooomph more often which may not help :

hahaha - just when over-taking on the Snake Pass! :-)
Old 6th December 2020, 13:11   #9
Scimdaz
Regular poster

Rover 75 Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic ZS View Post
I must firstly start this post by saying that all modifications should be declared to your insurance company.

But let's be honest, these are old cars now and we're talking about a relatively small power/torque increase over the original, which simply makes them more driveable in modern traffic - it's not turning them into a racing car.

Equally, if an insurance company were to get involved with writing off a 75/ZT, they're highly unlikely to spend thousands of pounds getting the cars ECU interogated to check what tune is present, as I doubt they'd have the knowledge to even know that a 160 version exists ?

With no visual identification that there's been an increase, I'd be amazed if an insurance assessor has the time, funds or facilities to bother checking whats contained in what must now be deemed as an 'oldie'

Unless I'm missing something, of course...???
The thought had briefly crossed my mind. I think a call to Russ or Jules, since my Mum lives in Chester, is on the cards for the new year.

Thanks for everyone's thoughts and comments.
Old 6th December 2020, 14:05   #10
Jamiewelch
Posted a thing or two

Alpina D3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scimdaz View Post
You shouldn't have a push in the back if the car is working as it should, the stock turbo spins up that quick the power should be smooth and taper off around 3750rpm when the turbo runs out of puff. Sounds like you had a faulty MAF.

There are different remaps available, the only thing I can say is, if you have a "160" map put on, have the car put on a dyno afterwards and see what the real number is. Drop a PM to SewerMan on here, he has experienced the "160" maps and beskpoke remaps.

Pros:
Slightly more power than a stock 131
No smoke at all

Cons:
There are maps that can achieve more power, without smoke if the EGR, Manifold and Intercooler are clean.

If you fancy the drive to Cannock I can plug the T4 in and give the car a health check.
Jamiewelch is offline   Reply With Quote