Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 9th March 2021, 18:31   #1
Costa Fortuna
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Saloon

Default 1.8T Loud exhaust

My 55 plate Turbo seems to have a pronounced sort of boomy exhaust note noticeable from both inside and out of the car. It has had a very recent new centre section fitted just before I bought it and the tailbox externally looks to be in good condition. I have never had the opportunity to drive or hear another one of this breed so I can't compare but as the note is pretty obtrusive I'm sure it's not standard.
The vehicle performs well and is fine in every other respect, 86k miles. I intend for this car to be a keeper and want to keep it factory. Ideas anyone, I don't want to shell out for a new back box if aftermarket kit is sub par. Thanks in advance.
Costa Fortuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2021, 18:54   #2
suzublu
This is my second home

rover 75 1.8 vvc club se wedgwood blue

Thanked 7,142 Times in 4,642 Posts

Welcome, may I suggest you repost in the"Technical help" forum, more traffic. This section is just to welcome new members 😎

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk
suzublu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2021, 22:05   #3
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Costa Fortuna View Post
- - - - the note is pretty obtrusive I'm sure it's not standard.
Hello Tim, welcome to the forum.
No it wasn't like that originally. The factory fitted exhaust systems were impressively quiet. They were/are also pretty expensive - you get what you pay for as the saying goes. The closest to the originals are likely the top priced bits offered by Xpart/Rimmer, https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-GRID001930 though they won't necessarily look the same. As I understand it, the OEM supplier was Bosal, so maybe worth seeking parts with their brand from other suppliers as well. The 1.8T has a 60mm OD pipe system, wider than all other engines except the KV6/2.5l/190bhp engine, which is the same. That means certain bits may be interchangeable with that model. The exhausts fabricated in stainless steel are typically rather boomy. Again, a quiet system in stainless would likely be custom made at two - three times the usuall price.

Hope this helps.

TC.
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2021, 14:36   #4
Costa Fortuna
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzublu View Post
Welcome, may I suggest you repost in the"Technical help" forum, more traffic. This section is just to welcome new members 😎

Apologies for that, would you suggest a relaunch in the correct forum?
Old 10th March 2021, 15:53   #5
Costa Fortuna
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Apologies for that, would you suggest a relaunch in the correct forum?
Also can you delete/move this thread from its erroneous location, it makes me look a prat, which clearly I am. I'd just rather not advertise the fact.
Thanks to your members kind assistance a new rear exhaust has been sourced - it became quite apparent that some incorrect cheapo rubbish has been fitted at some time, just a plain round box not ribbed or shaped to the car. Although this was my first post I have used your extensive resources to help me with a range of issues that arrived with the car when I bought it and I consider myself lucky in that regard. In future I shall endeavour to read what I see
Old 10th March 2021, 16:13   #6
suzublu
This is my second home

rover 75 1.8 vvc club se wedgwood blue

Thanked 7,142 Times in 4,642 Posts

Your post has been moved to the relevant forum so all's well 👍

suzublu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2021, 15:38   #7
Costa Fortuna
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Also can you delete/move this thread from its erroneous location, it makes me look a prat, which clearly I am. I'd just rather not advertise the fact.
Thanks to your members kind assistance a new rear exhaust has been sourced - it became quite apparent that some incorrect cheapo rubbish has been fitted at some time, just a plain round box not ribbed or shaped to the car. Although this was my first post I have used your extensive resources to help me with a range of issues that arrived with the car when I bought it and I consider myself lucky in that regard. In future I shall endeavour to read what I see

Fitted correct ribbed and shaped tail box and all's well, nice and quiet. The box that was removed was an oval generic effort - they're on evilbay for little money - don't be tempted. Thirty minutes at 70 mph would be enough.
Now I have a quiet cruiser.
Old 14th March 2021, 15:41   #8
drewbie
Loves to post

Rover 75 Club SE 1.8T 03 plate.

Quote:
Fitted correct ribbed and shaped tail box and all's well, nice and quiet. The box that was removed was an oval generic effort - they're on evilbay for little money - don't be tempted. Thirty minutes at 70 mph would be enough.
Now I have a quiet cruiser.
Can I ask where you sourced the correct tail box for a 1.8T
drewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2021, 16:51   #9
euro44
Avid contributor

mg zt-t 226th made from total of 396

thats something quite a few of us would like to know. my original is starting to show a few signs of imminent tin worm invasion, and it would be nice to change it before it dissapears in the rear mirror.
euro44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2021, 18:23   #10
Costa Fortuna
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by euro44 View Post
thats something quite a few of us would like to know. my original is starting to show a few signs of imminent tin worm invasion, and it would be nice to change it before it dissapears in the rear mirror.
My local motor factor who I have dealt with for over 25 years. OK, it's not a Bosal, it's a Timax/Klarius with a 2 year Warranty Part No RR356W.
Google that and you will get a picture of the product - a top and a bottom shell with a lateral seam ribbed and shaped to fit the corresponding space under the boot floor. Bonus feature is the box has the support rods welded on to connect straight to the rubbers - no £45 support kit required (sorry Rimmers).
Hope this helps - it was £114 inc vat. I like to get most stuff from local suppliers if I can - a lot of things can get damaged in transit etc.
Anyway now enjoying my ride - it no longer sounds like a 1 litre Corsa in a McDonalds car park....