Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 11th June 2021, 07:56   #21
AndyN01
This is my second home

Toyota RAV4

Thanked 1,579 Times in 968 Posts

Yes, it probably is a money spinner but AFAIK there's a general Policing view that little but flagrant law breaking such as illegal number plates gives a clue about the general attitude to breaking the Law and often leads to much, much more significant criminality such as things that have been mentioned like no MoT/insurance/drink/drugs etc. etc. Someone has made a deliberate decision to change their plate to something that's illegal.

The vast majority of "altered" plates I see are driven by drivers who seem to have no respect or care for any other road user. Me, me, me. Get out of my way. I'm important. Things to do. Places to go. Deals to do. How dare you use MY road....etc.

Stay safe out there.

http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

Last edited by AndyN01; 11th June 2021 at 07:58..
AndyN01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2021, 20:25   #22
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRob View Post
Sorry, but how does a number plate with incorrectly spaced letters make a vehicle unroadworthy or a danger to other road users?
It does not make it unroadworthy. It does make it That it contravenes certain rules & regulations. Or perhaps all the other rules and regulations surrounding vehicles do not matter? About time some of you people thought before you posted. Sorry but there are to many people who think they can do what they like these days. It’s a good job I don’t have the capacity to do what I like. There would be less people on the road in vehicles. Rant over.
Old 11th June 2021, 20:35   #23
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by It runs View Post
If the number can be read by anpr then it just a money making project. Just another dig at our freedom.
My number plates on and off have been mis spaced but perfectly legible .
Now the number plate spacing is mandatory not statutory .
So fines are a grey area unless the law gets changed .
Statute is the law . Mandatory is in effect (we rather you did).
So if I was to be stopped by police I would just say you clearly have time on your hands today .
If I received a fine would defiantly challenge it .I'm not a rebel but this is just another peck at our freedom
I strongly suggest you stop quoting from Facebook. They evidently do not know the definition of ‘MANDATORY.. Look it up. You may then chose to post an apology for misleading people, and remember exactly what it means. Please stop misleading people in any shape or form on here Thank you.’
Old 11th June 2021, 22:17   #24
Robson Rover Repair
NI/ROI RS

ZT-T 190 / 75 Diesel x3 / 6 door limo / 216 Cabby / Rover 25 van

Thanked 1,046 Times in 568 Posts

Bottom line, there's a standard for the reason. If people where using illegal tyres or brakes by choice then it would be a hung court.

This is a by product of Brexit, with EU having to come of number plates etc now, so they are using this as the excuse to standardise and nationally fine illegal number plates.

I don't see the problem. But then, I also don't deliberately flout a law that is an easy fine. In NI its the easiest way to get your car lifted. Especially if your at a car event, show or meet.
Robson Rover Repair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2021, 01:17   #25
Dragrad
This is my second home

None * DROWNED

Thanked 1,664 Times in 1,081 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobby View Post
Apparently Gloucestershire and Warwickshire police have been trialling new ANPR tech which is now being rolled out across the country. One new capability is to identify illegal number plates and issue immediate fines of £100 to the registered owner. My local TVP bobby tells me that from September 2021 number plates with illegal letter/number spacing and fonts are going to be targeted more and more and even raised lettering will be banned. He also said that non compliant backgrounds and symbols on the plate are also able to be detected with the new camera systems. So far I know of 3 people that have been caught by this system locally already. Sounds like a great money maker doesn't it
OK so they are going to use enhanced ANPR systems. Illegal number plates have always been an issue legally.... The rules are laid out in law, and always have been. I have always hated Italic number plate fonts on a personal basis.....

Andrew
Ich Dien
Problem solving is... lateral thinking

SEARCH FIRST ...ASK LATER...

Dragrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2021, 07:18   #26
MissMoppet
Posted a thing or two

R 75 Tourer diesel Conny 2002, V6 Conny saloon petrol 2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robson Rover Repair View Post
I know mine do, and it was emphasised on my classic policy when I renewed also due to the legislation changing after Brexit.
Our much loved DVLA decides number plates, leaving the EU encouraged our Wise Men to ban . . . the EU flag appearing on new plates. See https://www.bnma.org/news/30nov20-an...ted-01jan21/re
Old 12th June 2021, 07:30   #27
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMoppet View Post
Our much loved DVLA decides number plates, leaving the EU encouraged our Wise Men to ban . . . the EU flag appearing on new plates.

As they should - we have left the EU. You are free to carry on using your current plates with the flag on them if you want.
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2021, 12:42   #28
hinged_bap
Gets stuck in

75 CDT Conn SE Auto saloon

is there a link detailing this initiative please. I've searched but I can't find it.
hinged_bap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2021, 14:21   #29
dattrike
Posted a thing or two

V6 2ltr auto in copperleaf +CDTI Auto in Royal Blue on loan to Son

See here

https://www.carreg.co.uk/carreg-news...plates-banned/
Old 12th June 2021, 14:33   #30
Discofan
Loves to post

(Land)Rover Freelander 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dattrike View Post
I have used 'metro' font plates for many years with a black border around them. It's a marginally bolder or broader font than standard . Never had an issue or query about them but not mis spaced trying to spell something they are not. I'll take my chances.
Discofan is offline   Reply With Quote