Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 20th December 2021, 18:11   #1
jim_k
Avid contributor

Rover 75 saloon

Default Android unit - advice on what to get

Please can ask some advice as I'd like to get an android head unit for Xmas and really stuck on what to get. I'd like to spend £200+ install Currently I have:

Rover TV head unit with 6 changer CD player. I've upgraded the speakers to Harman Kardon and added the tweeters too. I have a 12v digi box in the boot but it has poor reception so doesn't add any value.

What I would like:

Modern sat nav
Reversing camera
DAB radio
CD player compatible
I like the idea or TV capability and rear headset connectivity but this is not essential.

I'm a bit lost on what to get. Some units need DAB tuner, antenna, Sat nav cards, looms adaptors. I don't want this to get too expensive or complicated.

Is there anyone who can advise, oh and also wondering about installers I can use. I'm in Reading although my mobile mechanic said he can install if needed.

Many thanks for any advice or guidance.

Jim
jim_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2021, 07:21   #2
AndyN01
This is my second home

Toyota RAV4

Thanked 1,579 Times in 968 Posts

Hi Jim.

I have an android Xtrons Unit. It's IN9946 touch screen - now discontinued as far as I can tell.

Looks pretty much like this:
https://xtrons.co.uk/bmw-rover-mg-va...-9-0-pbx9946bl

but it wasn't £300+

While the unit itself is fine and works well, the aftermarket support is zilch so I won't be getting another.

This might be useful:
https://the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/s...d.php?t=316887

Mine has reversing camera - the wiring for which runs from the tailgate (mine's a tourer but you'd still need to run the same wiring from the boot lid in a saloon) all the way along the floor under the carpet by the edge of the seats then up and under the steering column and into the centre console. Not difficult as such but time consuming.

Having said that the camera is brilliant and the unit (I think) adds some marker lines.

I use a Garmin Sat Nav but the thread above has a suggestion.

My Xtrons has DAB and I bought a top line, roof mounted aerial from DABonwheels but I just found out that they've ceased trading. Their service was brilliant. . The reception is nowhere near as good as my son's 12 year old BMW 3 series and nor as good as a few other cars I've been in. Given that the aerial set up was into 3 figures on its own I'm not too convinced by the Xtrons DAB quality - and you may well need the Xtrons DAB adapter which is more ££££'s. And yes, that's a load more wiring to feed through. But you'll have that whatever you go for. Some of the aerials include GPS so that may help.

Mine has no CD. I don't know how many android units do? But I use a 64GB USB flash drive which had about 6K tracks on it at 320Kbps quality. Can't fault the sound quality for car use.

Don't know about TV etc. I guess that'll be some serious research for you to do.

Hope that helps.

Good Luck.

http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

Last edited by AndyN01; 21st December 2021 at 12:47.. Reason: spelling
AndyN01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2021, 09:10   #3
tonybel
Avid contributor

MG ZT 190 SE

Hi, I asked the same question a couple of months back and had a just a couple of replies. On recommendation I bought an Xtrons unit and have got to say its rubbish and I regret buying it. installation was a nightmare and i still can’t get the steering wheel controls working, it has a radio, you just cant get a much reception despite installing a replacement arial after getting nothing worth having with the stock rear window arial. The instruction manual that came with the unit was for an older unit, so not a lot of guidance there!

So don’t buy one of those! the smart choice is a pioneer or Kenwood unit, but they are well over your budget of £200 which I would say is too light and my advice is spend £450 plus - or stay with what you have.
Old 21st December 2021, 12:50   #4
AndyN01
This is my second home

Toyota RAV4

Thanked 1,579 Times in 968 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonybel View Post
Hi, I asked the same question a couple of months back and had a just a couple of replies.....

Sorry mate, I must have missed your thread.

http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/
AndyN01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2021, 16:47   #5
jim_k
Avid contributor

Rover 75 saloon

Really good advice here. So grateful. Let me consider it and make a call on where to go next.
jim_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2021, 17:18   #6
Rogue
I really should get out more.......

75 CDT SE 160 Saloon

Thanked 1,096 Times in 774 Posts

Further to AndyN01 i also have an Xtrons android touch screen unit which i am very pleased with but fortunately i have not had to deal with them for any customer care issues so i can't comment about that.

Glutton for punishment --- Previously ... 2.6 SD1 x 2, 3.5 SD1, 820S, 820Si x2, 216 Gsi, 220T saloon, 414, 45 1.4 x2 and now a Cowley 75 CDT
Rogue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2021, 18:28   #7
Ched
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT V8, MGZT 135 derv ,MG TF 135

The best of the chinese stuff is a Dynavin n6 for the bmw e46 which also fit our cars.
They have a pretty good name and more importantly they also come with a 2 year warranty, they also have a customer service dept that answers the phone.

They are not cheap tho. circa £500 , I have just bought a second hand one for my other halves zt which I will fit during the Christmas break.
They seem to be quite popular amongst the bmw fraternity

I had an xtrons unit that was also a complete waste of money in my humble opinion, I'd rather have a hole in the dash than another one of those.
Ched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2021, 19:26   #8
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

This is worth a read, especially post #49

https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/for...=278263&page=5
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2021, 20:35   #9
xsport
Posted a thing or two

rover 75 club se

get yourself a kenwood or if you can stretch to an alpine, go for it. if you change vehicles then take it with you,and save your old one to fill the hole !!! at the end of the day , you get what you pay. ..
xsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2021, 21:20   #10
Terryf
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon BRG

Fortunately, my old navall 2 is still going strong.
Terryf is offline   Reply With Quote