Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 15th August 2021, 11:52   #1
Scimdaz
Regular poster

Rover 75 Tourer

Default Airbag warning light

I bought the car with 11 months MOT and the warning light on. A year to sort it (LOL).....anyway now 1 month to sort it. I've had the underseat connectors apart and sprayed with switch cleaner. What was previously just a permanent "on" is now: On (with ignition), Off (after the engine fires) and then On again after what feels like an age (probably 5-10 secs).

Does the fact that it appears to be trying to extinguish suggest not much wrong and keep trying to clean it or something more involved, like the control unit I've read about?

(Thanks in advance as ever. After this is sorted it'll be the hand brake and then hopefully another 12 months of MOT)
Scimdaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2021, 12:21   #2
vitesse
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 Saloon

Yes, it's probably the underseat connectors but if you have Toaf run it and that'll take the guesswork out of things.

I'm investigating a SRS problem at the moment, and found that electrical cleaning spray doesn't really help much. One of the female plugs was quite corroded (green oxide) so I removed the seat and sprayed but much the same. Will give it a quick burst of sand later followed by electrical grease.

Good luck
vitesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2021, 13:20   #3
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Could be a side air-bag problem.---
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2021, 14:07   #4
Scimdaz
Regular poster

Rover 75 Tourer

I've been back under both seats - the connectors under the passenger seat open and snap together again firmly but the yellow connector under the drivers' seat is a real struggle to get to click. It may not be THE problem but appears to be A problem. Is there any reason why I can't just delete the connector from spec and twist/tape the wires together?
(I don't fancy soldering down there ....... to say the least)
Scimdaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2021, 14:59   #5
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Why not nip to see Big Russ? His T4 will tell you exactly which bit is the issue.
Old 15th August 2021, 15:00   #6
stevestrat
This is my second home

ZT260 #243 (resting)

Thanked 4,624 Times in 3,358 Posts

Don't ignore the wiring/connectors for the seat belt pretensioners. They can cause the airbag light as well.

T4 Location Map
stevestrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2021, 15:00   #7
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scimdaz View Post
I've been back under both seats - the connectors under the passenger seat open and snap together again firmly but the yellow connector under the drivers' seat is a real struggle to get to click. It may not be THE problem but appears to be A problem. Is there any reason why I can't just delete the connector from spec and twist/tape the wires together?
(I don't fancy soldering down there ....... to say the least)

Don’t twist and tape the wires, remove the seat and solder them properly, the last thing you want is an airbag deploying while your driving along!
Old 15th August 2021, 15:34   #8
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

purchase some of these water proof connectors and fit those no more trouble after

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2021, 18:22   #9
alanaslan
Gets stuck in

75 Tourer Automatic conn, 75 Saloon Automatic Conn, The Monograme Spice Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic View Post
purchase some of these water proof connectors and fit those no more trouble after

You beat me to it but you managed to post pictures. These connector plugs are available for pennies in 2 pole up to 8 pole.
When I have the urge to replace these I usually use them so that the chair has one female set and one male set this means that no one can get them the wrong cables plugged together.
Arctic thank you again for your wisdom. I have now used your ABS cable on five cars with success on all of them. Though I have to confess I have not got around to doing the spice tourer yet. As always I make myself do the job for other owners knowing I will regret doing it the next day or so. When it is for myself I just put the job off till another day. With December approaching I will need to give Pauline’s saloon its winter service. Also Spice will need her winter service and the Christmas tree lights in the dash out. We currently had air bag when someone sat in the passenger seat. The brake wear lamp is on all new parts fitted in March, a few hours with a multi meter. Then the ABS again all parts were new in March. The ABS works just as it should under hard breaking, so that I am hoping your tester will solve failing that it will be a few hours with the multi meter. The engine warning light came on just after the March Works. I checked it this morning while Hamish was running about mad it is the MAF approaching range. So I put the light out. The question is do I change the MAF for another new Bosh one. Or do I fist solder a resistor of the correct value that will keep the alarm off. We will see when I plug the car into the PC.
I am stuck with my pit crew discs and my toff programme. As the man in Aberdeen I gave my T4 to on the condition he sent it back to me when he had finished sorting his car out sadly that was almost 8 years ago now.
Great advice on rewiring the seats, keep up the good work.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
alanaslan is offline   Reply With Quote