Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 25th January 2022, 17:32   #1
Enzo1

Rover 75

Default Fuel pump, or maybe not?

Hi again,

still problems with my Rover 75 unfortunately. Last Sunday the car did not start up, so I called for support. A mechanic from Touring came and inspected the car. He tried something, after which the car did start up. He told me that the problem was the fuel pump and added that I had to urgently bring the car to a garage. So I did.

In our garage, the mechanic inspected the car and could not identify any problem: he tried several times to start up the car, which succeeded every time. He inspected the fuel pump and could not find any problem: he said that it was in good and working conditions.

I'm at a loss here. I have been trying to contact the Touring mechanic to better understand what he actually did to start up the car, and what he detected on that moment, though he has not replied yet. I really wonder what the problem might be. Then I thought to ask you, as your suggestions always proved to be valuable and correct...

Thank you in advance for sharing with me your thoughts!

Cheers,
Enzo
Enzo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2022, 20:49   #2
xsport
Posted a thing or two

rover 75 club se

some members have reported problems with fuel pumps and have had intermittent problems . does yours have the under bonnet pump ? these can cause problems if noisy and on the way out. you should also be able to hear the pump operating from under the bonnet . on the petrol models you can hear the in tank fuel pump from the filler cap end. someone will give some good advice on here regarding the diesels as im a petrol head. !!
xsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2022, 20:51   #3
xsport
Posted a thing or two

rover 75 club se

there are certain things to check regarding fuel pressure delivery and injector leak back, however i cannot help much here.
xsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2022, 08:57   #4
Number 6
This is my second home

Rover 75 tourer Club CD/Limo Tints

Thanked 1,609 Times in 869 Posts

Your car is a1999 model Yes? If it is then more than likely it will have an under bonnet pump, Which if it stops working will not allow the car to start. normally if you tap the pump with a blunt instrument it will start working again. Also what you can do is disconnect the electrical connector and clean it with contact cleaner and reconnect.

"I started out with nothing, and Ive still got most of it left!"
Number 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2022, 14:42   #5
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Have you checked your plenum drains? If the ECM has gone for a swim then that could cause random failure to start.

If your mechanic hit the pump to start it then it is on the way out and needs to be replaced.
Mike Noc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2022, 14:54   #6
Lee T
Gets stuck in

MG ZT

As Mike has said, under bonnet fuel pump.
Mine failed at 120.000 miles, a sharp tap got it going again and it started each time after for over a week until it was replaced. If yours is original I'd suspect that first.