Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 1st October 2010, 17:48   #1
Mike V
Avid contributor

MG ZT 190

Default Confirmation about clutch fluid...

Evening all,

I have used the search feature to find out as much as I can about the clutch hydraulic system.

Im a little confused about the set up though due to reading different things.
Haynes for example says 'Brake (and clutch) fluid' yet some one on the forum said 'Haynes has it wrong'
Is the brake fluid a seperate system to the clutch?

I am considering having the clutch fuide changed but then I read that it shouldnt as it is a 'sealed for life system'...

(All this is in regards to having a stiff gear change. Yet clutch seems fine. Pulls well in 4th at 30mph.)
Mike V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2010, 18:47   #2
Phil
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Connoisseur SE

Hi, the clutch and brake fluid is totally separate. The clutch fluid reservoir is above the pedal, inside the car. Very hard to get to! It is said to be sealed for life, but it isn't.
Old 1st October 2010, 18:54   #3
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

There's precious little fluid in the clutch reservoir. This is due to its small size and also due to a voluminous plastic insert which seems to serve little purpose. If the insert is removed permanently, you can almost double the fluid capacity. And with a clutch system as precarious as this one is, every little helps.

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2010, 19:06   #4
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

The clutch master cylinder is directly above your toe as you press the clutch pedal. You will need to remove the cover panel to be able to see it and it is still awkward to see. Remove the top with its black insert and cut the insert down so it just leaves the upper part in place to form a seal - then you can get much more fluid in.

There is a bleed nipple on top of the gearbox visible below the battery/ between battery and engine at the bottom.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2010, 19:09   #5
Mike V
Avid contributor

MG ZT 190

Thanks for the reply guys. I will investigate further tomorrow. There is a Rover garage near me aswell so I might drop by and have a chat witht the guys. See how much they charge for a change etc. Sounds like its worth a go. According to the paper work it has never been done. (car at 60k)
Old 1st October 2010, 19:11   #6
Mike V
Avid contributor

MG ZT 190

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryM1BYT View Post
The clutch master cylinder is directly above your toe as you press the clutch pedal. You will need to remove the cover panel to be able to see it and it is still awkward to see. Remove the top with its black insert and cut the insert down so it just leaves the upper part in place to form a seal - then you can get much more fluid in.

There is a bleed nipple on top of the gearbox visible below the battery/ between battery and engine at the bottom.

Thanks Harry, there is a picture on here somewhere I spotted showing the nipple. I saw it when re-searching before so I know where you mean.
Old 1st October 2010, 20:07   #7
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

I was advised that all metal pipes down there mean it has had a replacement slave cylinder, so maybe a new clutch too.

It will not take much bleeding before the master is emptied, so fill it before your start. I found it easiest to use some aquirium type plastic air pipe, with a bit of thin steel wire down the pipe at the cylinder end, to enable an hook to be formed to make it stay put on the cylinder. A large syringe body in the other end of the pipe, makes it easy to pour in the DOT4, if it is held high and lots of newspaper to catch the spills on the carpet.
Old 1st October 2010, 21:43   #8
Phil
This is my second home

Just my opinion but I wouldn't snip the seal down, I agree that it is too big but it serves a purpose to seal the system from the atmosphere.
Brake fluid is hygroscopic so absorbs water, if the brake fluid absorbs water it won't do what it is meant to.
The idea of the big seal is to allow the drop and rise of brake fluid in the reservoir without creating pressure or vacuum when the pedal is depressed. Hence there is a vent hole drilled in the reservoir cap.
Old 1st October 2010, 22:04   #9
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

A normal hydralic system (brake and clutch) has a vent and are not sealed from the atmosphere. Rover put the seal in to make it a sealed for life system, unfortunately making the capacity for fluid tiny - not enough for the very slightest of fluid loss. Probably their idea was that it was less costly to mount it there where it could not be so easily maintained, but call it maintanance free for life.

If the system is to be maintained, then there is no longer any real need for it to be air sealed. Likely changing the fluid more frequently will prolong its life, rather than never touching it.
Old 1st October 2010, 23:05   #10
Phil
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryM1BYT View Post
A normal hydralic system (brake and clutch) has a vent and are not sealed from the atmosphere. Rover put the seal in to make it a sealed for life system, unfortunately making the capacity for fluid tiny - not enough for the very slightest of fluid loss. Probably their idea was that it was less costly to mount it there where it could not be so easily maintained, but call it maintanance free for life.

If the system is to be maintained, then there is no longer any real need for it to be air sealed. Likely changing the fluid more frequently will prolong its life, rather than never touching it.
Hi, I am more than likely wrong but I can't think of any brake or clutch circuit with a vent to the atmosphere on any model?