Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 25th May 2012, 16:31   #1
pinebob
Posted a thing or two

rover75 cdt

Default Help needed with seat bolt remover

hi can anybody give me a link to which ever tool i need to remove security seat bolts.tried every thing i have but without success.cheers for any help.
pinebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2012, 16:40   #2
stocktake
Vis Whiz

Rover 75 2.5 auto Saloon

Thanked 3,056 Times in 1,621 Posts

If you are on about the bolts that secure the runners to the floor. They are just a T50 torx bolt IIRC

Lost a few stones and a Gall Bladder and part of a bile duct and all of my dignity in the suppository incident
stocktake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2012, 17:15   #3
mark d3
This is my second home

rover 75 saloon,cdt 170 bhp(ish)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stocktake View Post
If you are on about the bolts that secure the runners to the floor. They are just a T50 torx bolt IIRC

one event everyone should experience http://www.wolverhamptonnanomeets.com/
mark d3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2012, 19:32   #4
ceetdm
Loves to post

Rover 75 CDTi Manual Saloon + Rover 75 CDTi Auto Saloon

I've seen many posts that say that this is a T50 Torx head, and only one that said it was a Ribe head.

I have recently removed the seat runner retaining bolts from my drivers seat and after rounding off one of the bolts with a T50 Torx (it was very very tight), I bought a Ribe set from ebay for £13.95 link. I then used the 8mm Ribe bit to remove the other 3 bolts without incident. I'm certain my car has 8mm Ribe bolts fitted.

It seems to me that the T50 will work on bolts that are not as tight as those on my car - but I believe the 8mm Ribe is the correct bit to use. I would suggest that if you use a T50 make sure you have very good downward pressure whilst undoing the bolt.

Tommy :-)

Last edited by ceetdm; 28th May 2012 at 19:35..
ceetdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2012, 22:50   #5
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceetdm View Post
I've seen many posts that say that this is a T50 Torx head and only one that said it was a Ribe head.
Interesting. I've not looked at mine, but what's generally seen as a Torx socketted bolt may well be something else more suited to high torque applications. The seat bolts are always damned tight and it's not surprising that this may defeat a Torx drive, which are for lower torque use.
I've not come across a Ribe drive before and Wikipedia has no references to it. They are available on eBay and from there I put together this graphic showing the similarity between three hex-splined systems.

The Polydrive looks even closer to the Ribe than the Torx and it makes you wonder if they're the same system. The Polydrive has rounded spline roots whereas the Ribe is seemingly square. Both are for high torque applications.

The upshot is you need to examine the bolt head carefully to determine which drive system it uses. Using a Torx driver in a Polydrive bolt will almost certainly damage something.

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2012, 23:15   #6
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Cut View Post
Interesting. I've not looked at mine, but what's generally seen as a Torx socketted bolt may well be something else more suited to high torque applications. The seat bolts are always damned tight and it's not surprising that this may defeat a Torx drive, which are for lower torque use.
I've not come across a Ribe drive before and Wikipedia has no references to it. They are available on eBay and from there I put together this graphic showing the similarity between three hex-splined systems.

The Polydrive looks even closer to the Ribe than the Torx and it makes you wonder if they're the same system. The Polydrive has rounded spline roots whereas the Ribe is seemingly square. Both are for high torque applications.

The upshot is you need to examine the bolt head carefully to determine which drive system it uses. Using a Torx driver in a Polydrive bolt will almost certainly damage something.

TC
judge for your selves boys below
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SDC11269.jpg (130.9 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg SDC11271.jpg (134.1 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg SDC11272.jpg (123.8 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg SDC11274.jpg (128.0 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg SDC11275.jpg (115.0 KB, 31 views)

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote