Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 11th April 2013, 08:28   #1
ceetdm
Loves to post

Rover 75 CDTi Manual Saloon + Rover 75 CDTi Auto Saloon

Default Front Spring snapped! Need some advice please

Well after 81,000 miles my rover 75 let me down, the front nearside spring snapped - I got lucky it didn't go through the tyre.

I've read on this site that I could fit the front struts and springs for a ZT (I have a 2005 Contemporary CDTi) and these are available from best of british.

Question is: should I do this or just fit new 75 springs. I'm thinking that I would be able to do the full setup myself since they come pre assembled with spring and top bearings ( I need to replace strut top bearing anyway). This would save me compressing the springs which I don't have the tools to do.

Any advice would be appreciated

Tommy :-)
Old 11th April 2013, 09:20   #2
Froggy-Mk2
Loves to post

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Auto. Sal. CDTi

I had a front O/S spring go in Feb and also had no tyre damage whatsoever. I decided to replace both strut assemblies complete and also from Best of British. The decision was based on a) no disassembly and reassembly required and b) shockers and top bearings replaced at the same time - although no evidence of a problem. It was a straightforwatd job apart from pinch bolt strut to hub that required removing both before seperation.
Froggy-Mk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2013, 09:23   #3
myrover2013
Posted a thing or two

ROVER 75 CONNOISSEUR SE in copper leaf red

do you guys have a link to the best of British web site
myrover2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2013, 11:16   #4
chris75
same car since 2005

2001 Rover 75 2.0 v6 Connoisseur Saloon

Try this.......
http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Best-of-British-Rover-Spares
Old 11th April 2013, 11:26   #5
Synchromesh
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Froggy-Mk2 View Post
I had a front O/S spring go in Feb and also had no tyre damage whatsoever. I decided to replace both strut assemblies complete and also from Best of British. The decision was based on a) no disassembly and reassembly required and b) shockers and top bearings replaced at the same time - although no evidence of a problem. It was a straightforwatd job apart from pinch bolt strut to hub that required removing both before seperation.
Did you notice a difference in ride/handling between your original 75 springs/dampers and the new ZT springs/dampers?
Synchromesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2013, 08:17   #6
Froggy-Mk2
Loves to post

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Auto. Sal. CDTi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchromesh View Post
Did you notice a difference in ride/handling between your original 75 springs/dampers and the new ZT springs/dampers?
I replaced with 75 struts, not ZT struts, so cannot say - sorry.
Froggy-Mk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2013, 16:43   #7
David Lawrence
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT-2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceetdm View Post
Well after 81,000 miles my rover 75 let me down, the front nearside spring snapped - I got lucky it didn't go through the tyre.

I've read on this site that I could fit the front struts and springs for a ZT (I have a 2005 Contemporary CDTi) and these are available from best of british.

Question is: should I do this or just fit new 75 springs. I'm thinking that I would be able to do the full setup myself since they come pre assembled with spring and top bearings ( I need to replace strut top bearing anyway). This would save me compressing the springs which I don't have the tools to do.

Any advice would be appreciated

Fitting ZT parts to a 75 is going to change the ride, but if you don't mind that, I suppose it would be OK, but as for cost, you could buy a spring compressor for well under the difference in cost between a spring and a strut, and so long as you know how to use it, that's what I'd do. Buy one with 3 rods though as it makes a big difference in ease of use.
David Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2013, 10:08   #8
ceetdm
Loves to post

Rover 75 CDTi Manual Saloon + Rover 75 CDTi Auto Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Lawrence View Post
Fitting ZT parts to a 75 is going to change the ride, but if you don't mind that, I suppose it would be OK, but as for cost, you could buy a spring compressor for well under the difference in cost between a spring and a strut, and so long as you know how to use it, that's what I'd do. Buy one with 3 rods though as it makes a big difference in ease of use.
Thank you for the advice. I phoned Best of British to see when they were getting the Rover 75 sets in and Ron at BofB said he had enough to make me up a full set so took the plunge and bought the full Rover 75 setup + droplinks. £235 all in including delivery.

Made a start and got the N/S pinch bolts out both were well rusted in but eventually with WD40, impact sockets and a 1m breaker bar, got them free. getting the bottom ball joint separated from the hub was much more difficult for me took me about an 1hr and a lot of bashing with a mallet and wooden drift.