Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 16th April 2013, 21:59   #11
Eric_m
Regular poster

Rover 75 Club 1.8T

Hi, just had the same problem on my newly aquired 75. Pinch bolt removed ( took some persuasion) and pushed the ball joint shaft down with a ball joint splitter. I got it to exactly the same point as you, with the groove for the pinch bolt showing. I had the cut off head of an m10 cap head to go in the hole, but the ball joint splitter just would not move it any further. In the end I hit the hub carrier around the pinch bolt area with a hammer a few times, mainly out of frustration, and the shaft popped back up a bit. Refitted the splitter and the joint pressed out easily. I. guess the groove edge started to dig in, and the shocks released it
Eric_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2013, 22:02   #12
championdaddy
This is my second home

Mg Zt 190

[Qused a scissorsJackUOTE=ceetdm;1280007]Thank you for your advice so far. Let me just say that I have removed all pinch bolts from both sides.

It's the lower ball joint that i am trying to separate from the the hub. The lower ball joint to hub is not threaded and my understanding is that it's parallel?

I have separated the 'pinch' part of hub to the extent that the first part of the ball joint 'pin' appears loose in the pinch, it's the part above the 'groove' which I cannot get free from the hub.

Sorry if my terminology is not correct.

Tommy :-)[/QUOTE]

Right. ....I had to Jack the hub up, not the car, at an angle towards the inner wing. To keep the alignment correct for the pub to go downwards.
I found that if I didn't do that, it got stuck just like yours. And no matter how much persuasion. ... it would not budge.
I used a scissor jack at an angle.......then leavered the arm down with a long bar
championdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2013, 22:11   #13
ceetdm
Loves to post

Rover 75 CDTi Manual Saloon + Rover 75 CDTi Auto Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric_m View Post
Hi, just had the same problem on my newly aquired 75. Pinch bolt removed ( took some persuasion) and pushed the ball joint shaft down with a ball joint splitter. I got it to exactly the same point as you, with the groove for the pinch bolt showing. I had the cut off head of an m10 cap head to go in the hole, but the ball joint splitter just would not move it any further. In the end I hit the hub carrier around the pinch bolt area with a hammer a few times, mainly out of frustration, and the shaft popped back up a bit. Refitted the splitter and the joint pressed out easily. I. guess the groove edge started to dig in, and the shocks released it
The shaft has slipped back up a couple of times and is quite easy for me to get it back down to the groove - but no further. Come to thing of it the other side only went after I had shoogled around a bit with the hub and then it seemed to pop out quite easy.

Last edited by ceetdm; 16th April 2013 at 22:17..
ceetdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2013, 22:15   #14
ceetdm
Loves to post

Quote:
Originally Posted by championdaddy View Post
[Qused a scissorsJackUOTE=ceetdm;1280007]Thank you for your advice so far. Let me just say that I have removed all pinch bolts from both sides.

It's the lower ball joint that i am trying to separate from the the hub. The lower ball joint to hub is not threaded and my understanding is that it's parallel?

I have separated the 'pinch' part of hub to the extent that the first part of the ball joint 'pin' appears loose in the pinch, it's the part above the 'groove' which I cannot get free from the hub.

Sorry if my terminology is not correct.

Tommy :-)
Right. ....I had to Jack the hub up, not the car, at an angle towards the inner wing. To keep the alignment correct for the pub to go downwards.
I found that if I didn't do that, it got stuck just like yours. And no matter how much persuasion. ... it would not budge.
I used a scissor jack at an angle.......then leavered the arm down with a long bar[/QUOTE]

Ah ha! the alignment I think you've got the answer there I did notice that the alignment of the shaft did not look completely parallel when it came out the hub - I'm going to try and get it as straight as I can tomorrow and see if I can lever it out as well :-)

Hope I've not damaged the lower balljoint with all the bashing it got :-(
Old 16th April 2013, 22:23   #15
championdaddy
This is my second home

Mg Zt 190

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceetdm View Post
I used a scissor jack at an angle.......then leavered the arm down with a long bar
Ah ha! the alignment I think you've got the answer there I did notice that the alignment of the shaft did not look completely parallel when it came out the hub - I'm going to try and get it as straight as I can tomorrow and see if I can lever it out as well :-)

Hope I've not damaged the lower balljoint with all the bashing it got :-([/QUOTE]

They do have to be in line it seems. And yes hope the joint is okay. .. they are quite tough though. .... keep us updated lol goodluck and good night
championdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2013, 05:06   #16
Simon.h
This is my second home

Previously owned- MG ZT V6 160 Y plate Lpg, MG ZT 190 2003 In Rare Celestial Factory Ordered Lpg MG

Then I changed my clutch last year on my drive way, I had problems removing the ball joints bolts. The nuts and bolt heads snapped off on both sides and they would not knock out, after 37 drill bits and 13 hrs I got them out!
MG ZT 190 2004 lpg
Simon.h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2013, 05:25   #17
maxtherotti
Gets stuck in

mg zt-t 190 se, mg zs 180 saloon

I had to remove a tight one the other day for a fella i know
All you have to do once the hub has been spread a little (use a chisel in the slot to open a small amount)
use a long bar against the lower arm (go over the arm and under the subframe) apply gentle downward pressure as you rock the hub back and forwards towards the car and the joint should slide right on out

Hope this helps

Rob
Old 17th April 2013, 08:17   #18
ceetdm
Loves to post

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxtherotti View Post
I had to remove a tight one the other day for a fella i know
All you have to do once the hub has been spread a little (use a chisel in the slot to open a small amount)
use a long bar against the lower arm (go over the arm and under the subframe) apply gentle downward pressure as you rock the hub back and forwards towards the car and the joint should slide right on out

Hope this helps

Rob
Yes, thank you all these tips will help a lot. I have the hub pinch spread enough that the shaft of the lower ball joint will relatively easily slide down to the part with the groove. I then can't get it any further.
So with the advice I have had, I will stop trying to use brute force and will instead be wiggling and prying :-)
As I now believe when the alignment is right it will, hopefully, slip off - we shall see, I'll be doing it tonight!
Old 17th April 2013, 11:00   #19
ceetdm
Loves to post

Thank you every one for your help it is very much appreciated.

Well, armed with the advice that I got here and my new enthusiasm that the lower ball joint shaft will come off, without too much force - using the right technique - I decided to have a quick go this morning.

Bingo! got it apart!

So just to recap. I have the top and lower pinch bolts out, and the front roll bar to droplink undone. I then used a large lever (1.2m) between the lower wishbone next to ball joint and the sub frame and stood on the lever and bounced a little - the joint popped out on my third attempt - which was with the front wheel pointed in the straight ahead position.

It does look to me as alignment of this shaft is really important - but I'm no expert. When I looked at the shaft, the groove was clear on most of it's circumference , but not all. So, probably 0.5mm misalignment - so maybe the little bounce on the lever allowed the correct alignment (no longer wedged at a slight angle) and out it came :-)

Now, shocks, springs and drop links should arrive from Best of British today!

Thanks again everyone!

Tommy :-)
Old 17th April 2013, 14:20   #20
maxtherotti
Gets stuck in

mg zt-t 190 se, mg zs 180 saloon

Result

Rob