Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 23rd August 2020, 17:42   #11
mh007
This is my second home

MG ZT260 SE, MG ZT190+, MG ZTT 160, R75 Conn SE 2.0, R75 Conn SE 2.5 X 3, R75 Club SE 1.8, P5B Coupe

Whichever way you go, it sounds like you'll need a new/used nut & cable so, you may be better off buying a BMW Mini R53 cable such as this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-U...IAAOSwRQlXd4ul

Using the above (a common upgrade on the R75 & ZT), you can cut the cable & most come with a nut/washer.

Incidently, you shouldn't have had to cut the carpet if you removed the rear seat base & the plastic sill trims. That should have enabled you to block the carpet up enough to get to the compensator covering plate.
As far as I recall, it was the later cars that had a split carpet, the earlier ones were all one piece.
All of my cars are early ones & I've replaced all the compensators with Mini items now.

Last edited by mh007; 23rd August 2020 at 17:50..
mh007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2020, 19:14   #12
euro44
Avid contributor

mg zt-t 226th made from total of 396

thanks 007, ill go the route you suggest, cutting the cable I assume will allow the threaded rod and nut to be pulled out towards the gear lever and the mini cable fed in from the rear? on the carpet front, black seats , black carpets , dark work area and 70 plus year old body meant cutting and regluing after fitting the new parts was the best solution for me.
euro44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2020, 19:23   #13
euro44
Avid contributor

further to the mini cable , does it need any modification or is a straight replacement as the add says not suitable for mgztt? thanks.
Old 23rd August 2020, 20:55   #14
mh007
This is my second home

MG ZT260 SE, MG ZT190+, MG ZTT 160, R75 Conn SE 2.0, R75 Conn SE 2.5 X 3, R75 Club SE 1.8, P5B Coupe

No modification, a straight swap & because of the design of the compensator, it won't stretch.

It won't say that it will fit a R75/MG ZT & ZT-T in any listing but it does fit.

As said, I've done all mine & also customers cars too.

I reckon you'll be better off actually cutting the nut off thinking about it because you can't pull the cable forwards (through the handbrake).

If you cut the nut off, you can then feed the cable back through & fit the Mini cable in reverse order.

It's a bit fiddly getting it through the actual handbrake but not too bad.

There is a little tang you'll have to bend away on the handbrake lever at the bottom to be able to get the threaded part etc out (you'll see as soon as you have a closer look).

Last edited by mh007; 23rd August 2020 at 21:02..
Old 23rd August 2020, 21:55   #15
euro44
Avid contributor

Thanks for that info 007 makes it a lot easier if you know what to do,lol. I am learning all over again. The last cars I actually did anything more on, than an oil change , were Triumph Tr4, 6, vitesses , and 60/70 era motors. So much simpler , no electronics, sensors etc, much more suited to simple souls like me.
Old 24th August 2020, 00:33   #16
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Hi Christopher.
Mike is right you can fit a Mini R50 compensator but believe me it is not easy, the carpet still as to be raised you also have to push the cable through from the back and make sure it fits round the arch on the handbrake properly, also the little tag will need bending back so the cable can be passed through, if it gets stuck you will find you need to tap it back out and start again.

I find it a lot easier to remove the passenger seat to fit the Mini compensator, it give you access to both the arch & the tag the procedure is the same as fitting the SSC but a lot more work.

I did an extensive how to also on the Mini R50 fitting but alas PB ate the photo's yet another thread i need to re-instate when i can get round to it, but also would need to add about removing the passenger seat as i find it quicker in the long run.

https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/for...d.php?t=220121
Attached Images
File Type: jpg M1.jpg (142.8 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg M16.jpg (134.1 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg M26.jpg (135.3 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg M45.jpg (126.0 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg M53.jpg (122.6 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg M56.jpg (124.5 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg M66.jpg (122.5 KB, 20 views)

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2020, 08:58   #17
euro44
Avid contributor

thanks for the info chaps, am now really confused. I want to fit Artics compensator, NOT A MINI ONE , I believe I have to somehow ( drill out etc ) remove the faulty lever nut to allow slackening off the single cable. Once this is achieved and a replacement fitted I can fit the ss compensator, adjust , and hopefully move on to other mg jobs to complete.
Old 24th August 2020, 09:23   #18
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by euro44 View Post
thanks for the info chaps, am now really confused. I want to fit Artics compensator, NOT A MINI ONE , I believe I have to somehow ( drill out etc ) remove the faulty lever nut to allow slackening off the single cable. Once this is achieved and a replacement fitted I can fit the ss compensator, adjust , and hopefully move on to other mg jobs to complete.
Hi Christopher.
Ok lets forget the Mini R50 seeing as you have the SSC.

Your stumbling block is the fact the front adjuster nut as been wound down so tight its now stuck on the shoulder of the square of the front cable, thus making it just and not unwind back up the thread correct.

In which case try what Stocktake (Dave) as suggest above add two more nut to the thread about 10mm from top of the thread and lock them against each other, you can then gat a spanner on the nut before the one you need to undo which will hold the thread if it is twisting ?

I have a feeling its stuck on the shoulder due to some gorilla tightening it right down.

As already stated i have had to use a 3mm drill to drill through the nut to get it loose you will then need to replace the nut with a new one.

PS no carpets should be cut at anytime when fitting the SSC.

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2020, 09:59   #19
euro44
Avid contributor

thanks Steve, exactly. The cable isnt moving but yes the nuts on a perpetual roundabout, i will follow your advice and drill the nut. Once off I can replace it and have enough slack to remove the old compensator and fit your shiny new one. i know its not essential to cut the carpet but for my situation it was. I have a Baldrick type plan for refitting. cheers
Old 24th August 2020, 15:08   #20
mh007
This is my second home

Therein lies the problem "The cable isn't moving" which would suggest the threads are stripped rather than the nut being stuck on the shoulder of the cable.

If the cable isn't turning while trying to undo the nut, double-locking further up the thread won't do anything.

The very reason I suggested a Mini item in the first place.

Euro44 - if you want to fit the SSC item, you'll also need a front cable & nut (unless it came with these).

The Mini item comes as one piece