Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 24th August 2020, 20:00   #21
euro44
Avid contributor

mg zt-t 226th made from total of 396

thanks 007 , this is turning into a Sherlock Holmes mystery LOL. and silly old me thought it would be straight forward. I have a s/s compensator from Artic which would be a straight forward fit IF the locking nut on the lever was not spinning round, its been wound down so far ( 33 mm ) it is probably jammed on the cable shoulder. As its most likely the nylon inside the nuts hors de combat and not the threaded part of the cable I will remove that first, and should the cable be naff then i will replace that also. this is proving more fun than I remember trying to get a tr6 mechanical fuel injection system to give more than 10 mpg.
euro44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2020, 20:28   #22
KLM
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Club CDT

Hi all, i have read Artic's very good instructions a couple of years ago.
As I anticipated my h/brake cable was nearing it's end of life.
But now approaching 78 yrs old, I feel this job will be beyond me now.
So,.... Do a buy an Arctic SSC and find a qualified club member to fit for a fee.
Or do I, buy the BMC mini one and get a old ex Rover garage to supply.
(thinking Horners of Manchester).
Kev.
KLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2020, 20:53   #23
mh007
This is my second home

MG ZT260 SE, MG ZT190+, MG ZTT 160, R75 Conn SE 2.0, R75 Conn SE 2.5 X 3, R75 Club SE 1.8, P5B Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLM View Post
Hi all, i have read Artic's very good instructions a couple of years ago.
As I anticipated my h/brake cable was nearing it's end of life.
But now approaching 78 yrs old, I feel this job will be beyond me now.
So,.... Do a buy an Arctic SSC and find a qualified club member to fit for a fee.
Or do I, buy the BMC mini one and get a old ex Rover garage to supply.
(thinking Horners of Manchester).
Kev.

Provided your nut will undo on the cable under the handbrake, you have a choice of either the SSC or Mini compensator.

If you opt for the Mini item, do not buy a BMC Mini one as it is completely different.
You'll be looking for a BMW Mini (R50/R53) cable.
These can be picked up second hand (perfectly good) for around £15.00 on Ebay & such like.

Last edited by mh007; 24th August 2020 at 20:56..
mh007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2020, 21:07   #24
mh007
This is my second home

MG ZT260 SE, MG ZT190+, MG ZTT 160, R75 Conn SE 2.0, R75 Conn SE 2.5 X 3, R75 Club SE 1.8, P5B Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by euro44 View Post
thanks 007 , this is turning into a Sherlock Holmes mystery LOL. and silly old me thought it would be straight forward. I have a s/s compensator from Artic which would be a straight forward fit IF the locking nut on the lever was not spinning round, its been wound down so far ( 33 mm ) it is probably jammed on the cable shoulder. As its most likely the nylon inside the nuts hors de combat and not the threaded part of the cable I will remove that first, and should the cable be naff then i will replace that also. this is proving more fun than I remember trying to get a tr6 mechanical fuel injection system to give more than 10 mpg.
In your situation I agree that getting the nut off first either by drilling or some other means will be the best idea.
At least from that you will see the threads properly & it may well be that you can use your existing cable & just replace the nyloc nut & flat washer.

Ahhh yes, the Triumph 2.5 PI injection system! I spent many an hour getting this system working right (or trying).
Converted many to twin Strombergs too.
I remember many years ago there was a company in Bath that produced a conversion kit for the PI's with the above carbs.
A very neat kit including carbs, inlet manifold, linkages, cabling, pipework etc etc.
It actually looked like a factory conversion when fitted.
mh007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2020, 21:21   #25
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
thanks 007, ill go the route you suggest, cutting the cable I assume will allow the threaded rod and nut to be pulled out towards the gear lever and the mini cable fed in from the rear? on the carpet front, black seats , black carpets , dark work area and 70 plus year old body meant cutting and regluing after fitting the new parts was the best solution for me.
DON'T CUT THE CABLE, THERE IS NO NEED....

The nut is very soft compared to the threaded rod. Take a small HSS drill bit, around 3 or 4mm and drill down each side of the nut and it will drop off.

Problem is the nut is very soft and tightens onto the lower section of the rod, which has no thread. Once forced down there, it will not unscrew, so the only way is to drill it. It is a common size of nyloc nut, so easy to source a replacement.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2020, 23:57   #26
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mh007 View Post
Therein lies the problem "The cable isn't moving" which would suggest the threads are stripped rather than the nut being stuck on the shoulder of the cable.

If the cable isn't turning while trying to undo the nut, double-locking further up the thread won't do anything.

The very reason I suggested a Mini item in the first place.

Euro44 - if you want to fit the SSC item, you'll also need a front cable & nut (unless it came with these).

The Mini item comes as one piece
Hi Mike.
My money is on the nut if it as the built in washer as been wound down so much it is spinning on the shoulder of the cable, seen it so many times. if i do not have a 3mm drill bit with me or a drill i usually cut the cable at the back pull the cable out at the front and replace the cable as i carry at least 6 minimum with me at all times for just a case like the OP.

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2020, 08:37   #27
euro44
Avid contributor

thanks chaps, drilling will commence immediately the sky stops throwing buckets of water everywhere. thank god my plenums are nice and clear of leaves and even the rotter under the servo is fully functioning.
Old 25th August 2020, 16:26   #28
euro44
Avid contributor

update on the saga, drilled the nut off after 4 hss drill bits broke on me ( i buy cheap tools lol ) the nut has a built in washer and the cable threads are mullered as well so its a new front cable for me, hopefully one that will fit first time.
Old 25th August 2020, 22:13   #29
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Quote:
Quote:
update on the saga, drilled the nut off after 4 hss drill bits broke on me ( i buy cheap tools lol ) the nut has a built in washer and the cable threads are mullered as well so its a new front cable for me, hopefully one that will fit first time.
HI Chris.
If you struggle to get hold of a cable drop me a PM and we can get you sorted out

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2020, 11:01   #30
euro44
Avid contributor

thanks steve, Rimmers o/e one on its way via the little red van. Will post the old one to you as soon as I can. boy had it stretched, by my reckoning at least 25 mm.