Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 17th October 2020, 07:41   #31
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workhorse View Post
I think it was 2.5 hours of labour off the top of my head, not sure how that equates to the book time. Might have helped that it was having a full service carried out at the same time. Think it works out as around £200, but obviously depends on how much your garage charges per hour!

Sounds about right time wise - the book time to replace the water pump is 3.5 hours.
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2020, 08:45   #32
squall89
Regular poster

ROVER 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Noc View Post
Sounds about right time wise - the book time to replace the water pump is 3.5 hours.
a question

the time to replace only water pump or both water pump and thermostat is similar ?

it should be convenient, from a future labour cost point of view, to change also the alternator, belts and tensioner?
squall89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2020, 09:07   #33
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Yes if you are changing the water pump then change the thermostat at the same time. But a word of warning on changing the water pump. Mine failed just shy of 300k miles, and the replacement aftermarket one only lasted 60k miles, so unless you have a Moon Club Sticker from Trikey (225k miles) you are better sticking to the original pump if my experience is anything to go by.

You can replace the alternator brushes, the parts that usually wears out after high mileage without taking the alternator out so worth doing.

Change the belts every 90k miles or 6 years whichever comes sooner but I wouldn't touch the tensioner unless it is rough when you spin it whilst the belts are off. If it is rough then easier to replace just the bearing not the entire tensioner. How long does the tensioner last? No idea as mine is still going strong at 408k miles.
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2020, 10:30   #34
Workhorse
Regular poster

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Cut View Post
Good to hear the problem's fixed. Have you checked the normal running temperature using the Trip Screen Diagnostics? It wold be interesting to know what that is and if there's any variation, say every six months. Hope you can get back to us on this.
Cheers,
TC
Finally got round to checking the operating temperature, and I had a reading of 87 degrees Celsius after 15 miles of steady driving with an ambient temperature of 10 degrees, the heating on, and after a few minutes of idling while I tried to remember how to get the dash read out.
Workhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2021, 20:12   #35
Workhorse
Regular poster

Rover 75 Saloon

I've been meaning to check the temperature using the diagnostics for a while to see how the new thermostat was holding up, and I finally got round to it this evening. So in case anyone's interested in how it compares a year or so on, tonight's reading with an outside temperature of 4.5 degrees Celsius topped out out 85 degrees Celsius. Couple of degrees lower than the previous reading but that might just be down to the lower ambient temperature.
Workhorse is offline   Reply With Quote