Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 29th October 2020, 14:55   #1
tourerboy75
Regular poster

Rover 75 Tourer CDT

Default Rover 75 Rear Jacking Point Query?

Hello,

I have a 2002 Rover 75 CDT saloon with a fitted towbar. The garage removed the rear armature to fit the new towbar when it was purchased from new; they just left the armature loose in the boot of the car when I collected it from the dealership. (The armature is stored away in the garage loft!).

I want to use a trolley jack to raise the rear of the car using the official position of the rear central jacking point and lashing/towing eye. With the rear armature not fitted is it still safe to place the trolley jack at this position or not to lift the car (Does the armature have any weakening effect at the rear of the car for lifting?). Also, is it possible to place the jack under the towbar/ball position and also lift from this position as it seems rock solid here and handy as a jacking point.

Any advice from members before attempting to lift the rear of the car would be much appreciated.
tourerboy75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2020, 16:20   #2
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

no not lift via the tow bar. Rear armature, is this what you are referring to?
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/313142769...hoCQV8QAvD_BwE

If you lift via the rear centre jacking point, the car is "unstable" so think carefully before going underneath. I would put a wheel or axle stands or blocks of wood under the side jacking points in case the jack collapses or the car rocks off the jack

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2020, 17:20   #3
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Make sure the steering wheel lock is on when lifting at the rear centre jacking point to prevent the risk of the car slewing off the jack.

Don't worry about jacking on the rear centre point without the armature - I've been doing it for donkeys' years.
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2020, 18:46   #4
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

The rear 'jacking point' is a lightweight towing eye that's been adopted as a jacking point. It's pretty unofficial I reckon.The Handbook only refers to light towing/lashing jobs. Haynes does use it as a jacking point, but I wonder if RAVE does? It's certainly strong enough to do the job, but it's the worst jacking 'design' imaginable. For the ininitiated, utmost care advised.

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2020, 18:50   #5
tourerboy75
Regular poster

Rover 75 Tourer CDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
no not lift via the tow bar. Rear armature, is this what you are referring to?
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/313142769...hoCQV8QAvD_BwE

If you lift via the rear centre jacking point, the car is "unstable" so think carefully before going underneath. I would put a wheel or axle stands or blocks of wood under the side jacking points in case the jack collapses or the car rocks off the jack

macafee2

Yes, thats the armature that I have (mines an unused new one so it should be worth a few more pennies).I see a Rimmers supplied one is £333.60.......I always use jack stands not just the jack on it's own to support the vehicle, I do fancy living just a few more years just to drive my Rover!
Old 29th October 2020, 18:52   #6
tourerboy75
Regular poster

Rover 75 Tourer CDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Noc View Post
Make sure the steering wheel lock is on when lifting at the rear centre jacking point to prevent the risk of the car slewing off the jack.

Don't worry about jacking on the rear centre point without the armature - I've been doing it for donkeys' years.

Thanks for confirming this.
Old 29th October 2020, 18:57   #7
tourerboy75
Regular poster

Rover 75 Tourer CDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Cut View Post
The rear 'jacking point' is a lightweight towing eye that's been adopted as a jacking point. It's pretty unofficial I reckon.The Handbook only refers to light towing/lashing jobs. Haynes does use it as a jacking point, but I wonder if RAVE does? It's certainly strong enough to do the job, but it's the worst jacking 'design' imaginable. For the ininitiated, utmost care advised.

TC

Thanks, I have found using a trolley jack on central front vehicle lifts is not so bad, I have never lifted the rear centrally with a trolley jack so I thought it's best to ask the forum just to get a few pointers, it was just the missing armature that got me thinking about the safety issue.
Old 29th October 2020, 19:16   #8
edwardmk
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 260, Rover 75 Connie SE auto

Well this thread lost me for a while.
I thought an armature was something from a dynamo or electric motor.
Looked it up and got this;
'The lethal effects of the cibarial and pharyngeal armatures of mosquitoes on microfilariae.'
Even more confused
Finally worked out armature means a scaffolding or structural base which can apply to thousands of things.
More education instigated by the forum
edwardmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2020, 19:17   #9
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tourerboy75 View Post
Yes, thats the armature that I have (mines an unused new one so it should be worth a few more pennies).I see a Rimmers supplied one is £333.60.......I always use jack stands not just the jack on it's own to support the vehicle, I do fancy living just a few more years just to drive my Rover!
never hear it called an armature before.

macafee2
Old 29th October 2020, 19:18   #10
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardmk View Post
Well this thread lost me for a while.
I thought an armature was something from a dynamo or electric motor.
Looked it up and got this;
'The lethal effects of the cibarial and pharyngeal armatures of mosquitoes on microfilariae.'
Even more confused
Finally worked out armature means a scaffolding or structural base which can apply to thousands of things.
More education instigated by the forum
I guessed due to reference to tow bar, I know the armature or what I know as the crash beam gets removed.

macafee2