Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Closed Thread

Old 11th November 2020, 18:33   #531
planenut
Regional Secretary

Rover 1.8T Tourer

Thanked 2,036 Times in 1,264 Posts

Hmm, let's all scream out for action and a vaccine, then when it appears there may be a solution some scream and shout to criticize it. Research is imperative and essential. There is no time schedule but a rapid need . When it is available, let us then watch the reaction of those placed in decision making positions to see their own reaction, only then.
Old 11th November 2020, 20:03   #532
Alf Best
Avid contributor

MG-ZTT

I was of the understanding it was still unlicenced for use for treatment of anything other than leprosy, with the obvious contraindication of pregnancy, then again the BNF copy I have is probably hopelessly out of date.

It just goes to show that something so obviously harmful, can still have it's uses, and something hailed at the time, in the case of Thalidomide, as a panacea for sufferers of morning sickness, where insufficient testing was obviously and catastrophically detrimental to the end user(s)

"Distaval can be given with complete safety to pregnant women and nursing mothers without adverse effect on mother or child"

There are obvious reasons why no drug should not escape rigorous testing, vaccines included.

Alf
Old 11th November 2020, 20:10   #533
wraymond
I will find or make a way

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by planenut View Post
Hmm, let's all scream out for action and a vaccine, then when it appears there may be a solution some scream and shout to criticize it. Research is imperative and essential. There is no time schedule but a rapid need . When it is available, let us then watch the reaction of those placed in decision making positions to see their own reaction, only then.
Precious little screaming and shouting here! That brief report came from reputable sources and a respected medical correspondent! Must agree though occasionally the truth does feel like the loud pedal has been pressed! Time and development might well resolve the antipathy but given the hysteria there does seem room for balanced critique.
Old 11th November 2020, 20:52   #534
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alf Best View Post
The wonders of google translate

It actually translates correctly thus

"To write without clarity and charm, is a miserable waste of time and ink"

Next time you chose to write a throwaway in pig Latin as a cheap jibe Clive, you might do well to remember that some of us may well have studied a dead language

What harms, often teaches indeed

Alf
I'm now an avid fan. ( Of this new vaccine, especially as I'm in the---You're next to go bracket at 83 )--Gulp.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg LATIN . I just love a man who speaks latin..jpg (110.4 KB, 14 views)

Last edited by COLVERT; 11th November 2020 at 21:08..
Old 11th November 2020, 21:08   #535
Alf Best
Avid contributor

MG-ZTT

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLVERT View Post
I'm now an avid fan.

Lol, is that the sort of bird you pull at the octogenarian biker bar?

Alf
Old 11th November 2020, 21:15   #536
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alf Best View Post
Lol, is that the sort of bird you pull at the octogenarian biker bar?

Alf
Better to be safe than sorry as there's not a virus on the planet that would attempt to impregnate a body like that.------
Old 12th November 2020, 11:46   #537
wraymond

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Have to say I now regret introducing the very name Thalidomide into this thread. The context I intended and obviously hopelessly failed at was the introduction of supposed remedies for ailments and conditions that were considered not only advisable for diagnosed illnesses but also for the advance attacks from pernicious maladies where a commercial market was perceived.

This lead to an almighty rush to that market where other considerations were not being taken sufficiently into account! The effects were too serious to now go into detail on here. Anybody see any vague similarities here?

It was an easy sell, spot a gap in the market/go for it/get it on prescription. All that has changed is you will now have to pay £25 quid for it. Oh, and for something that protection is claimed but arguable, efficacy is a guess and unlimited repeat injections are necessary? If that was a car, who on here would queue to buy?

The deflection of my intent was made easy because I did not take enough trouble to safeguard against it and was to be expected I suppose but, come on, the in-depth extrapolation into an alphabet of horrors directly concerned with a later realisation of what the drug meant can only have the effect of proving the point!

Perhaps an awkward attempt at brevity plays into the hands of easy rebuttal. In my view it serves to strengthen the case.
Old 12th November 2020, 12:13   #538
wraymond

75 Auto 2.5 SE

In all the fuss and hooha there's been, I've just this minute seen the most depressing and upsetting horror to date.

Front page of the D. Mail, an elderly lady on her knees and on an elevated walkway, being kept apart from her ailing and dying husband who is suffering from a dementia related condition. The gentleman is being attended by a care home assistant and they are apparently on another pathway some way below the lady. That picture is the very last attempt at a justification of the current calamity where the most basic example of human caring for a loved one is prohibited. In the name of decency, is this to be the way? If that was my wife or mother I would be crashing the door down. What the hell is going on.
Old 12th November 2020, 16:31   #539
RPWC
This is my second home

75 model car

Thanked 5,083 Times in 3,114 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wraymond View Post
In all the fuss and hooha there's been, I've just this minute seen the most depressing and upsetting horror to date.

Front page of the D. Mail, an elderly lady on her knees and on an elevated walkway, being kept apart from her ailing and dying husband who is suffering from a dementia related condition. The gentleman is being attended by a care home assistant and they are apparently on another pathway some way below the lady. That picture is the very last attempt at a justification of the current calamity where the most basic example of human caring for a loved one is prohibited. In the name of decency, is this to be the way? If that was my wife or mother I would be crashing the door down. What the hell is going on.
Damn sure I would be doing the same.
Old 12th November 2020, 16:50   #540
stocktake
Vis Whiz

Rover 75 2.5 auto Saloon

Thanked 3,056 Times in 1,621 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPWC View Post
Damn sure I would be doing the same.
Post 753 here It's harrowing
https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/for...&postcount=753

Lost a few stones and a Gall Bladder and part of a bile duct and all of my dignity in the suppository incident

Last edited by stocktake; 12th November 2020 at 21:00..
Closed Thread