Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 16th November 2020, 13:15   #11
wraymond
This is my second home

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts

Welcome to the club! Are my eyes deceiving me? 45000 Euros? A very nice car, but 45000?
Old 16th November 2020, 14:14   #12
dattrike
Posted a thing or two

V6 2ltr auto in copperleaf +CDTI Auto in Royal Blue on loan to Son

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galcian View Post
Thanks for the welcome

What you seem to tell me is that reliability shouldn't be a real issue if the car has been looked after properly, as with every car approaching 20 years.

Just a few questions :
- In the event of a HGF on a K engine, is it a costly repair ? If a HGF happens, is it just because the HG is rubbish, or because their is an issue with the cooling system and the whole "plumbing" must be redone ?
- More generally, are spare parts broadly available (at least to command in the UK) ? Are they expensive ?
- Is their a difference between the year of production ? I've read somewhere that cars from the 04 and 05 were more poorly built than the 98-03 ones.
- The V6 seems lovely. Sounds nice, and suits nicely the car. However, it appears it can be thirsty. Do you know if it takes well a modification to use e85 fuel ? I'm not saying I'll do it, I'm just considering options.
- Would you reckon the differences between the 75 and the ZT are just cosmetic, or is there a real difference in terms of drive ? I've seen that the V6 is a notch more powerful in the ZT, and the suspension settings a bit harsher.

For the fun, during my searches I found this : https://www.lacentrale.fr/auto-occas...101366255.html
Way too expensive, but one of the only 7 ZT260 sold in France in very pristine condition !
Hi and welcome, try contacting member Dorchester 2 here:
https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/for...er.php?u=40240
He's written about ethanol in his car.
https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/for...d.php?t=298528

Last edited by dattrike; 16th November 2020 at 14:17..
dattrike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2020, 16:58   #13
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Not really enough cars using Ethanol. The jury is still out and next to nothing on its use in the R75.

You'll need one of these items below.----

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ethanol fuel kit.jpg (21.8 KB, 15 views)
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2020, 16:59   #14
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wraymond View Post
Welcome to the club! Are my eyes deceiving me? 45000 Euros? A very nice car, but 45000?
As rare as hens teeth over here.---

PS.--Also the French like to charge about double the price you would expect to pay in Britain.

Last edited by COLVERT; 16th November 2020 at 17:03..
Old 16th November 2020, 17:00   #15
Galcian

None at the moment

Thank you, I'll do that. What is important is that it can be done. In France, when it comes to MG ZT, V6 are the norm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYING BANANA View Post
Welcome to the fountain of knowledge concerning our cars.

I have a k series MG ZT 1.8t. Which is currently on 210,300 miles. Had a a few issues including head gasket failure, 4 of them, but I love the car. A very underrated engine is the k series.

Plenty of advice on here. Just ask any questions.
A HGF every 50k miles !
That doesn't sound really reliable to me ^^
Maybe the KV6 is indeed the better option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cantabro75 View Post
Salut Thomas et bienvenue

I drive all days my 2004 Rover 75 CDTI, no problem on "cold" ( i live Santander north Cantabric coast) or Summer. is avery confort car, i drive 90 klm a day ( autorrute) and is 246.000 klm on the clock, problems, cluch! twice and no more ( except some gremlins on the loock system)

Thesis,,wonderfull,elegant but really expesive to maintenace ( automatic gives many problems and a small pice will cost you a fortune)

So.whats about the last Emperor of the French road CITROEN C6 ? I really love this Transatlantique hidroneumatique !
The C6 is a superb car indeed, but only in automatic, and I want a manual. And it is still quite expensive in France, people like it.
Galcian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2020, 17:03   #16
Galcian

None at the moment

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLVERT View Post
As rare as hens teeth over here.---
10 in total in France :
- 7 ZT
- 1 ZT-T
- 2 75

The ZT-T and 2 of the ZT were owned by MG France or its executives, so 7 real sale ^^
Old 16th November 2020, 17:22   #17
Yorkshire GOC
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 connoisseur se v6 auto

There is much debate on the engines - but short of the V 8 260 -the liveliest engine is the 1.8 Turbo - especially when re-mapped to 200 BHP by the like of KMAPS who engineered the MGR ECU's - they were limited in the factory to 160 bhp so as not compete with the V6 190 or the BMW equivalent but are probably the easiest to work on and compared to the V6 easy and less expensive to do belt changes.

There are steps to safeguard against HGF which in most cases is caused by coolant loss and overheating - over the years owners including like myself have/do

1. Keep an eagle eye on coolant levels
2. Fitted a Hans Gauge or similar which gives the running head temp (however the MGR on board diagnostics can do this as well) - but the gauge alarms at 110 degrees to warn that you are overheating .
2 Swop out the plastic coolant t-piece at the top of the radiator for a metal one - a classic failure point leading to coolant loss.
3. Replace the plastic inlet manifold with a metal manifold.
4. Swop out the MGR rubber coolant hoses for silicone hoses - the rubber ones on all engines will eventually crumble and perish.

The Silver Machine was the 13th of 160 Rover 75's to come off the production line that day and is the 100th of 527 Starlight Silver Rover 75 2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE Auto saloons listed in the build records produced world wide.
Yorkshire GOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2020, 18:52   #18
Galcian

None at the moment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkshire GOC View Post
There is much debate on the engines - but short of the V 8 260 -the liveliest engine is the 1.8 Turbo - especially when re-mapped to 200 BHP by the like of KMAPS who engineered the MGR ECU's - they were limited in the factory to 160 bhp so as not compete with the V6 190 or the BMW equivalent but are probably the easiest to work on and compared to the V6 easy and less expensive to do belt changes.

There are steps to safeguard against HGF which in most cases is caused by coolant loss and overheating - over the years owners including like myself have/do

1. Keep an eagle eye on coolant levels
2. Fitted a Hans Gauge or similar which gives the running head temp (however the MGR on board diagnostics can do this as well) - but the gauge alarms at 110 degrees to warn that you are overheating .
2 Swop out the plastic coolant t-piece at the top of the radiator for a metal one - a classic failure point leading to coolant loss.
3. Replace the plastic inlet manifold with a metal manifold.
4. Swop out the MGR rubber coolant hoses for silicone hoses - the rubber ones on all engines will eventually crumble and perish.

Seems like pretty easy straightforward updates, not very expensive and even DIY-friendly.

Thanks for this.
Old 16th November 2020, 20:54   #19
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galcian View Post
Thank you, I'll do that. What is important is that it can be done. In France, when it comes to MG ZT, V6 are the norm.

A HGF every 50k miles !
That doesn't sound really reliable to me ^^
Maybe the KV6 is indeed the better option.

The C6 is a superb car indeed, but only in automatic, and I want a manual. And it is still quite expensive in France, people like it.
If you can live with RHD, as I do, you can get a C6 for less than half the price of the French car in Britain.

This I know for a fact as I bought an XM estate car for less than half the French price and drove it for around 11 years. ( 200,000 miles. )

Last edited by COLVERT; 17th November 2020 at 21:26..
Old 16th November 2020, 22:33   #20
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wraymond View Post
Please note. It is advertised as an Estate...........it is not, it is a Saloon.