Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Closed Thread

Old 18th November 2020, 11:53   #561
edwardmk
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 260, Rover 75 Connie SE auto

I've been allowed to re-commence services from July 7th. Like most other businesses we did as we were told and 'invested' in (expensive) Covid mitigation, and finally acquired all the appropriate PPE. However, unlike far too many other businesses, we haven't been ordered to shut down again. Thousands of businesses received totally inadequate support and those that avoid bankruptcy will struggle with debt for years to come. The government idea of support to most businesses was debt in the form of CBILS loans and BB loans and tax deferment by HMRC. Thousands of those BB and CBILS loans will default, 'cos you can't repay debts if you're not allowed to operate. Three years ago, Mrs May couldn't justify £1 billion for the NHS because 'There is no magic money tree'. Yet this year they found a magic money tree with £500 billion on it. That vast increase in public debt is on all of our shoulders and many of us are going to feel a lot poorer as the chickens come home to roost in 2021.
Old 18th November 2020, 12:23   #562
Alf Best
Avid contributor

MG-ZTT

Business to business transactions ultimately end in an end customer, otherwise the chain is incomplete.

I quote the Institute for Government Whitehall, and the opening paragraph of their report into the current crisis.

The coronavirus pandemic has prompted the deepest recession in the UK for 300 years. To manage this, the government, like many others, has enacted several policies to keep the economy afloat through lockdowns and steep drops in activity. This has come at great cost to the public finances. This report, a ‘snapshot’ edition of the Institute for Government’s annual Whitehall Monitor report, seeks to calculate that cost by assessing the impact on public finances wrought by the pandemic, using government data for the 2020/21 financial year to 22 September.

I believe from reading past posting you have made, that you are/were employed as some type of advisor as to the exploitation of loopholes in insurance policies, public bodies, or perhaps employed by the financial services industry?

Of course I may be wildly inaccurate, but I suspect the simple opening statement of the worst UK recession for 300 years, may tip the scales as to the severity of the current situation, as opposed to the affect of the 2008 financial crisis

I find the fact that most people in reality do not share your sense of enthusiasm that SME businesses will overcome the current situation by "rising to the occasion" most telling.

Alf
Old 18th November 2020, 13:51   #563
steve-45
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon CDTi

Thanked 1,089 Times in 774 Posts

Please gentleman keep it civil, this long running thread has been most informative.

Let’s not take the chance of getting it shutdown!
Old 18th November 2020, 17:25   #564
wraymond
This is my second home

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts

Oh, for the love of whoever- the-gods are! Why not stop dancing and face the music! These are all without exception unprovable guestimates and self generated opinions based on twaddle! There is no information available that is not tainted, twisted or misrepresented by whichever source is plundered! The government are like a collection of f..ts in a colander all squabbling and trying to get out of the same hole.

You cannot trust, let alone put any, let alone all, of your eggs in their baskets, the mainly stupid elected parrots that have the gall to think of themselves as worth the candle!

They have idled away so many opportunities in the interests of so-called unity, guessed at the hopelessly inadequate leadership of the party leaders, 'party' being the operative word, and swallowed every platitude they spew forth. They are children rather than Governors who have splurged the nations riches for donkey's years ahead in a blind panic of a race to the bottom. The commentaries descend into rage and mocking condescension. We are better than this.
Old 18th November 2020, 17:47   #565
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

The best way is to live in Cloud-Cuckoo land like I do.

The country can't go broke cos it's the government that makes the currency.

They'll just sneak off somewhere quiet and print some more.--

Simples.

Great stuff this----------------------------
Attached Images
File Type: jpg LSD..jpg (31.2 KB, 7 views)
Old 18th November 2020, 18:03   #566
RPWC
This is my second home

75 model car

Thanked 5,083 Times in 3,114 Posts

I also work in one of the section I quoted Alf, see my signature.
Old 18th November 2020, 18:29   #567
Alf Best
Avid contributor

MG-ZTT

Quote:
Originally Posted by wraymond View Post
Oh, for the love of whoever- the-gods are! Why not stop dancing and face the music! These are all without exception unprovable guestimates and self generated opinions based on twaddle! There is no information available that is not tainted, twisted or misrepresented by whichever source is plundered! The government are like a collection of f..ts in a colander all squabbling and trying to get out of the same hole.

You cannot trust, let alone put any, let alone all, of your eggs in their baskets, the mainly stupid elected parrots that have the gall to think of themselves as worth the candle!

They have idled away so many opportunities in the interests of so-called unity, guessed at the hopelessly inadequate leadership of the party leaders, 'party' being the operative word, and swallowed every platitude they spew forth. They are children rather than Governors who have splurged the nations riches for donkey's years ahead in a blind panic of a race to the bottom. The commentaries descend into rage and mocking condescension. We are better than this.

Well said Ray, I plan on putting no eggs near any baskets, or taking part in any proffered verbal diarrhoea from those who supposedly have our best interests at heart.

My ire is a simple one, the public camaraderie seen early on in this fiasco was squandered, and people showing any form of dissent or deviation from the what amounts to organised suppression of normality, is seen to be a pariah.

Heaven forbid you dare question the very "science" being imparted by those with less than impartial interests, nor accept the hogwash and complete spin being spun by those who wish to obfuscate the truth.

There will be those who blindly accept whatever they are told, and there will be at the other end of the spectrum people who believe the whole thing is a conspiracy by the Illuminati or some hidden NWO to fashion a totalitarian diktat, and those in the middle who question, and rightly so.

There is no such thing as impartiality in this pandemic, we all have our own interests to look out for first, any altruistic intent will come later, and in some cases not at all.

Human nature is a wonderful thing, and as diverse as anything you may wish to draw comparison to, but to expect blind compliance of the population from those in positions of power, or to listen to demagogues with no middle ground is foolhardy in the extreme.

I previously expressed concerns about the lack of testing time applied to the panacea Covid vaccine, and my thoughts concerns, and those of many others I suspect, were dismissed in a roughshod manner.

Simply put, assumptions were made which in my own case were wholly inaccurate, and scorn poured on for good measure.

Yes, the virus is still there, does it warrant the level of scaremongering commonplace with those entrusted with dealing with it? probably not, does it confer a reason to shut down the country in a knee jerk reaction by those using plausible deniability as an excuse to absolve themselves of blame for the harm it is causing people? absolutely not.

We are all capable in the main of determining our own destinies, and all that means as a consequence to that of those we hold dear, and the antisocial path we are being led in the name of science, should be questioned, if not outright resisted.

Alf
Old 18th November 2020, 18:47   #568
Alf Best
Avid contributor

MG-ZTT

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/uk/

Talk about painting a bleak picture !

Fortunately irrespective of what the news on the box this evening was heralding, I shall be abstaining from any planned mass vaccination program irrespective of the consequences, financial, social, legal or otherwise.

I simply don't trust that it is safe given the unrealistically short timescales to test and produce by any of the pharmaceutical companies, I'll allow those blindly putting their faith in them to carry out the safety testing on my behalf.

Alf
Old 18th November 2020, 19:20   #569
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Well gents, I have followed this thread with quite some interest. Some of it being Rhetoric with not much in the way of PROVEN facts, often hearsay.

Harmless in itself except when the posts become just a little heated.--

The thing is, unless there are members here who are actually out in the thick of it, I guess, maybe, the best course would be to do what Alf said in the post above.-----Wait and see.

We will probably only be wise AFTER the event

All we can actually do is to take the best care of those of our families around us and also our close friends.
We don't have the power, individually, to do more than that but maybe that will be enough.---

Old 18th November 2020, 20:36   #570
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

On the radio tonight, 'One day of freedom at Christmas = 5 days of lockdown in the weeks following'

Who the hell do they think they are dictating to, if this happens then I for one will be saying balls to it all and doing as i please.