Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 13th October 2020, 19:58   #21
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by squall89 View Post
hello. I resume this thread to ask: more or less how much time does this inlet mode need?

the original thermostat worked well. then I changed the water pump. And now it seems that the thermostat is stucked open.

see this video

https://youtu.be/Bo_aOkqwPqc

thank you
Hi Paolo,

I have not had an opportunity to reply to your message. But I will reply here as it is relevant.

Your testing, in the video above, and the two you linked to in your messages, are too short, and there is no load on the engine. Driving even at 20km/h is not enough time after 2 or 3 minutes to tell. With a faulty thermostat this will be the same as one without. At idle when I tested mine, it took around 30 minutes to reach 88 degrees with a working inline thermostat.

Driving after 3 kms at 50kmph I would expect the temperature to see 50-60 degrees. Drive further for another 3 kms at still 50kmph, I would expect only 75 degrees. It is at this point a faulty thermostat will present a problem. A faulty thermostat will not warm up any further, or not much more.

THIS is my video

The speeds are 40kmph for 1 km, then up to 120kmph for 7kms, and thereafter 8kms for 70kmph.

you can see the thermostat does not operate above 75. The time to reach this temperature is the same faulty or not. It will not make it warm up much quicker after it has been replaced. It will allow the engine to reach a higher temperature.

The speed at which it gets to that temperature will be determined by the load on the engine.

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!

Last edited by clf; 13th October 2020 at 20:01..
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2020, 21:13   #22
squall89
Regular poster

ROVER 75

ok I'll do more tests.

but yesterday at 90 km per hour the gauge is at 45 degrees near the bottom, so around 55-60 degrees.
squall89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2020, 21:50   #23
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Quote:
ok I'll do more tests.

but yesterday at 90 km per hour the gauge is at 45 degrees near the bottom, so around 55-60 degrees.
45 degrees near the bottom could also be 70-74 degrees temperature. But that still means nothing without times.

90km/h after 1 minute of driving will display temperature of maybe 45-55 degrees

90km/h after 10 minutes might be 75 degrees

90 km/h after 20 minutes might still be 75 degrees with a failed thermostat, but 85 with a working thermostat or an inline one.

Old 14th October 2020, 16:05   #24
Synchromesh
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon

When I did the inline stat mod on my diesel (now sold) I found the stat to be a tight fit in the hose so significant force was required to insert the stat. The stat frame is flimsy so if it distorts during installation the valve may not fully engage on the seat resulting in coolant passing the stat when the thermostat is closed.
Synchromesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2020, 23:48   #25
squall89
Regular poster

ROVER 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMGRS View Post
I always found the thermostat mod to be quite stable - they send to sit between 80 and 85 degrees and doesn't fluctuate much.
does the v3 thermostat that is sold in your site include the gasket of the thermostat housing or not? thank you!!!
Old 18th November 2020, 20:41   #26
squall89
Regular poster

ROVER 75

I did the inline mod with wahler thermostat. 40min of work more or less

now the temperature goes correctly from 15 degrees to 50 degrees in 4min. and it goes from 50 degrees to 80 degrees in about other 6minutes.
then it remains around 80-84 at 90kmh, and around 86-88 in the traffic.

Thanks to everyone.
Old 18th November 2020, 20:44   #27
squall89
Regular poster

ROVER 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by clf View Post
The time to reach this temperature is the same faulty or not. It will not make it warm up much quicker after it has been replaced. It will allow the engine to reach a higher temperature.

The speed at which it gets to that temperature will be determined by the load on the engine.
by the way, I verified that this is not true

with a faulty STUCK OPEN thermostat my engine goes from 15 degrees to 50 degrees in 20min, and it reaches 75 degrees only in the traffic and after 45min!!!!!!
Old 18th November 2020, 21:35   #28
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Quote:

with a faulty STUCK OPEN thermostat my engine goes from 15 degrees to 50 degrees in 20min, and it reaches 75 degrees only in the traffic and after 45min!!!!!!
You have misunderstood CLF's post. What he said is true.--
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2020, 01:15   #29
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLVERT View Post
You have misunderstood CLF's post. What he said is true.--
hmm, theoretically, what Squall states would be likely/possible, if it was completely and permanently stuck open (although the times would be dependent on the loads of course). However, all the complaints on our cars (so far), suggest that the original stat would open early, rather than be stuck open.

Yours, Squall, may well indeed have been stuck open permanently (and it would be the first I have read of). This makes me wonder how long it had been failing for. It would also suggest that the stat has a fail safe, in that when it does fail completely, it fails in the open position, thus allowing coolant to continue to flow.

I am glad the inline one worked for you.

As always though, the temp should be monitored occasionally for overheating, should the inline stat fail in the closed position 0 it has not happened as far as I am aware, but better to be safe.

Old 19th November 2020, 01:20   #30
squall89
Regular poster

ROVER 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by clf View Post
Yours, Squall, may well indeed have been stuck open permanently (and it would be the first I have read of). This makes me wonder how long it had been failing for. It would also suggest that the stat has a fail safe, in that when it does fail completely, it fails in the open position, thus allowing coolant to continue to flow.
before to change the water pump my thermostat worked very well.
after having changed the water pump I had the problem mentioned above; I deduce that the old thermostat was used to work with the pressure of a water pump of 17 years old. maybe with the new water pump the pressure was high and this "stucked" the old thermostat in the open position.
it is a supposition, due to the coincidence between water pump change and failing of my old thermostat