Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 23rd November 2020, 13:04   #15
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by baxlin View Post
Good question. Ditto for Sir Sean Connery and Sir Richard Branson? Oh also Sir Jackie Stewart who allegedly maintains a home in Switzerland?
Sir Sean Connery had his investiture blocked a few times if I recall. But to be fair he did promote Britain - specifically Scotland whenever he could.

Sir Richard Branson, was knighted for services to entrepreneurship. I dont think you could deny that.

Sir Jackie Stewart for services to motor racing. I do not think anyone has done more for the safety of drivers.

All are tax exiles to some degree. I cannot recall Richard Branson admitting to any kind of tax avoidance by living abroad, whereas the other two have openly admitted to it being a reason in the past. However his former companies would have paid quite a bit of taxes I am sure - just as Hamilton's do.

Hamilton's knighthood, I imagine is for services to motor racing? I do not care to be honest if he is knighted. The only services to motor racing he has been involved in, is in his early career, promoting black interests in motor sport (which seems to have fallen in the way of involvement in US social matters) and helping to promote American owned, French governed F1 in the US.

He initially promoted black drivers in motor racing, and has continued to promote black matters outside of motor racing (edit: this should read He initially promoted black drivers in motor racing, and has continued to promote social black matters outside of motor racing within it). To me this is not right, and would be 'more on board' with him had he been taking a more all inclusive approach (women, all races etc), but I do appreciate his position, and it is understandable. It irks somewhat, when the grid, are against racism, whilst he stands alone supporting black lives matter. Still, it is what he believes in even though I think he is naive at times (the breanna taylor t-shirt being one instance).

So Connery, a British person promoting Scotland, via his interviews etc from his promotional tours etc.

Stewart, a British person campaigned for safety within his chosen field.

Branson, a British person promoting business to young people, speaking to the youth of world, as well as Britian, inspiring them.

Hamliton, a British born wannabe American using his chosen field to protest about black injustice in America. But he did inspire (in an aggressive way IMO, at the beginning) his peers, though, into creating the stance we see now.

You cannot deny he is trying to do something, unfortunately, it all seems to be a little too fashionable. But I do think his father should be given some form of award for the effort in getting Lewis to where he is now. It was his father who did the hard work in the beginning. I do not think Hamilton had it so tough as people make out, but there is no denying the effort his father put in.

At the end of the day he is supposed to be getting it, and it does not change my opinion of him being one the good drivers, and NOT a great driver. When he gets the opportunity to prove his mettle, he is prone to frustration and failure as most others are, when things do not goes his way. His self entitlement shines through at that point. Senna in the beginning showed his greatness, Mansell (who I do not like) showed his greatness throughout his career, Schumacher but only in bursts throughout his career. That determination of putting a car into a position that it should not be, Hamilton hasnt really had that opportunity, and when he did, he was leveled or beaten by his team mate.

I do not think drivers now have the same opportunities to put their cars into places they should not be any longer, with perhaps the exception of Verstappen, Sainz, and Ricciardo. And overall for their general attitude, Lando Norris. With Ricciardo as his team mate, I think Norris will be worth watching, if you can.

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!

Last edited by clf; 23rd November 2020 at 18:15..
clf is offline   Reply With Quote