Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 23rd November 2020, 13:50   #11
Bullnose75
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Tourer 2.0 V6 LPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by trikey View Post
Any change in temp when you apply 2500 rpm for a few mins?
Tried that earlier mate,temp went from around 99 at idle down to 95 as you increased rpm to around 2500.
Didn't hold it at 2500 rpm for a few minutes to see if it went any lower tho
Bullnose75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2020, 13:54   #12
Bullnose75
Avid contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullnose75 View Post
Tried that earlier mate,temp went from around 99 at idle down to 95 as you increased rpm to around 2500.
Didn't hold it at 2500 rpm for a few minutes to see if it went any lower tho
Will run engine up to temp again later and try it at 2500 for a few mins and get back to you with what coolant temp does.
Had new coolant,new water pump and new thermostat fitted when I had cam belts done
Old 23rd November 2020, 14:57   #13
Bullnose75
Avid contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by trikey View Post
Any change in temp when you apply 2500 rpm for a few mins?
Right,ran engine up to temp. 98 degrees at idle - increased rpm to 2500rpm and held it at that rpm for few minutes coolant temp dropped initially to 90 degrees then slowly crept back up to 97 degrees. On returning to idle speed coolant temp rose to 102 degrees briefly then settled back to 99degrees.

Had a play with heater temp settings from different vent outlets after doing the above.
With heater set to just footwell vents compared temp of drivers side to passenger side - with both set at same temp 25c drivers side did feel slightly warmer than passenger side but not too much different and neither felt as hot as they should set at that temp.
Lowered temp setting of drivers side to LOW and temp from that drivers side footwell vent did indeed change to LOW while Passenger side one stayed WARM. Returned drivers side temp setting to 25c and lowered passenger side temp setting to LOW and this time passenger side vent output changed to LOW while drivers side stayed WARM.

Did same test through dash vents and then through the defrost vents with same results,side with temp set at LOW resulted in much cooler air from that side while opposite side stayed WARM.

So guess most of the flaps inside are working ok but maybe just the one/ones that control how much heat flows through heater matrix into heater box is/aren't working properly
?
Old 23rd November 2020, 15:16   #14
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
With heater set to just footwell vents compared temp of drivers side to passenger side - with both set at same temp 25c drivers side did feel slightly warmer than passenger side but not too much different and neither felt as hot as they should set at that temp.

?
My CDTi has always been like that, the climate control system just seems to pump out warm air at a comfortable temperature, never really hot as I would become used to in a none CC heating system, but no matter how cold it was outdoors - once the engine was warmed, it was always warm in the car.

I have never been able to roast my feet in the 75. Have you checked the actual temperature in the car?

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2020, 17:29   #15
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Seeing you have had the coolant temperature through the matrix very hot there can really be only one fault. Too much cold air is being introduced from the outside.

Probably find the internal flaps jamming on a bunch of dead leaves.---

PS. Or a mouse nest.
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2020, 18:35   #16
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
98 degrees at idle - increased rpm to 2500rpm ... for few minutes coolant temp dropped initially to 90 degrees then slowly crept back up to 97 degrees. On returning to idle speed coolant temp rose to 102 degrees briefly then settled back to 99degrees.
The temperature should not vary as much as that and it should be a lot lower at idle. I'd say you either have an air lock (did you follow the MGR bleeding procedure exactly?) or that your cooling system isn't fully sealed (e.g. worn expansion tank cap seals).

Simon
Old 25th November 2020, 15:57   #17
Bullnose75
Avid contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryM1BYT View Post
My CDTi has always been like that, the climate control system just seems to pump out warm air at a comfortable temperature, never really hot as I would become used to in a none CC heating system, but no matter how cold it was outdoors - once the engine was warmed, it was always warm in the car.

I have never been able to roast my feet in the 75. Have you checked the actual temperature in the car?
Haven't checked the actual temp inside car just know it takes miles too long to get warm inside it on a cold day. On a cold day it can take at least 20 minutes driving at 70mph to get any decent amount of heat from heater. On a longer journey it does eventually get reasonably warm inside car but even then you can never get what I would call hot air coming from vents even if you set heat at max and open all the windows
Old 25th November 2020, 16:01   #18
Bullnose75
Avid contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLVERT View Post
Seeing you have had the coolant temperature through the matrix very hot there can really be only one fault. Too much cold air is being introduced from the outside.

Probably find the internal flaps jamming on a bunch of dead leaves.---

PS. Or a mouse nest.
If an internal flap is jammed on dead leaves or a mouse nest maybe I should send in a trained mouse to remove said leaves or nest as i've heard gaining access to the flaps inside heater unit can be a pain of a job !
Old 25th November 2020, 16:05   #19
Bullnose75
Avid contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
The temperature should not vary as much as that and it should be a lot lower at idle. I'd say you either have an air lock (did you follow the MGR bleeding procedure exactly?) or that your cooling system isn't fully sealed (e.g. worn expansion tank cap seals).

Simon
Yep,did follow MGR procedure Simon and can't see how cooling system isn't fully sealed as no leaks anywhere,expansion tank around cap always bone dry
Old 25th November 2020, 17:51   #20
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
... can't see how cooling system isn't fully sealed as no leaks anywhere,expansion tank around cap always bone dry
Hi Paul,

Thanks for your reply. Believe it or not, you won't necessarily see coolant leaking out if your fan is able to limit the temperature reasonably well. What you should be seeing is a temperature of between 92 & 95 degrees on the move (from memory that's what I get) rising slowly to 100 if you're stationary or manoeuvring afterwards.

I'd suggest that you inspect the expansion tank cap O ring seals. Do they look flat? Mine were after about eighteen years!

Simon