Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 2nd November 2020, 19:48   #1
thanos.m
Avid contributor

Rover 75 saloon

Default Blocked Heater matrix

Hi all,
My heater matrix is getting really bad now only have warm air coming off just the drivers side passenger and rears have gone completely cold so it's high time I get this sorted. So I would like to know your suggestions on how to best tackle this. The car has had the heater matrix replaced a couple of years ago by the previous owner my guess is it was probably a duff used one clog up this fast. From my reserch so far a lot of people are in favour of flushing it in the car but on my v6 I cant see an easy way to get access to the heater hoses. On the hand it looks quite easy to get the heater matrix out of the car but I've read the horror stories of trying to seal it back up. Also would it be worth it biting the bullet and going for a new one ? Rather trying to flush this one only to have it clogging back up later down the line. Additionally, is there a way of doing it without draining the cooling system fully I can only really see the top hose that I could clamp. Lastly, should even bother trying to sort it myself all together or is it a job perhaps better leaving to a garage to sort ?
thanos.m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2020, 07:22   #2
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

I have a very good used aftermarket heater matrix for sale in my shop.
Old 3rd November 2020, 14:30   #3
Bullnose75
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Tourer 2.0 V6 LPG

Are you sure it's the heater matrix that is blocked ? I replaced my heater matrix with a brand new unit on my V6 when my heater wasn't working but it turned out to be the engine oil cooler that was clogged solid on mine and that was stopping a good flow of coolant going through the heater matrix
Bullnose75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2020, 17:53   #4
thanos.m
Avid contributor

Rover 75 saloon

I can confirm it's the heater matrix ordered a new oil cooler hooked it up left the car to warm up to 90c made sure the system was bled and still getting cold on the passenger side so I do have a blocked heater matrix unfortunately
Old 7th November 2020, 19:40   #5
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thanos.m View Post
... a lot of people are in favour of flushing it in the car but on my v6 I cant see an easy way to get access to the heater hoses.
By far the least problematic approach is to flush it in situ. Trace the flow hose back to the engine and disconnect. You'll probably have to do this from below. The return hose has a convenient connection on its route to the expansion tank. (I have to admit that I've never done this so please let me know if you have serious difficulty.)
Quote:
Also would it be worth it biting the bullet and going for a new one ?
Only if flushing fails.
Quote:
.. is there a way of doing it without draining the cooling system fully.
Draining the cooling system isn't particularly difficult. Go for it! Just remember to follow the MGR procedure for refilling and bleeding and you'll be ok. Use distilled/deionised water to prevent future blockages.
Quote:
.. is it a job perhaps better leaving to a garage to sort ?
Definitely not. They'll tell you that your head gasket's gone!

Simon

Last edited by SD1too; 7th November 2020 at 19:42..
SD1too is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2020, 09:58   #6
thanos.m
Avid contributor

Rover 75 saloon

As of yet I didn't have chance to get the heater matrix flushed but I'm staring to think that is not the whole side of the story now that weather is getting colder the car is struggling to stay at 78C° it many times drops at 75 if I'm on the motorway so I'm thinking my new thermostat is bad

Last edited by thanos.m; 23rd November 2020 at 10:26..
Old 23rd November 2020, 17:02   #7
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Quote:
As of yet I didn't have chance to get the heater matrix flushed but I'm staring to think that is not the whole side of the story now that weather is getting colder the car is struggling to stay at 78C° it many times drops at 75 if I'm on the motorway so I'm thinking my new thermostat is bad
It could be the thermostat however the fact that it blows hot one side and cold the other says the matrix is a definite problem. The thermostat will just add to it.---

Go sort out your spanners.---
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2020, 17:22   #8
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLVERT View Post
... the fact that it blows hot one side and cold the other says the matrix is a definite problem.

Quote:
... the car is struggling to stay at 78C° it many times drops at 75 if I'm on the motorway ...
What are you using to measure these temperatures Thanos?

Simon
Old 24th November 2020, 17:44   #9
thanos.m
Avid contributor

Rover 75 saloon

I'm not saying that the heater matrix isn't blocked that for sure is but it's also but as colvert just adds to it. I use the onboard diagnostics I pretty much have engine temp on every long trip. Last long trip was on Sunday I went to pick up another v6 75 we had the temp reading on that one as well and dispite being 2C° outside that had no problem staying at 90ish mine on the motorway was dropping at 75C° and the heater was getting quite cool even from the drivers side. So a thermostat is on the way so once I have it I'll get all done at once

Last edited by thanos.m; 24th November 2020 at 17:47..
Old 24th November 2020, 18:19   #10
Saga Lout
This is my second home

MG ZT and Rover 75,

Thanked 2,685 Times in 1,037 Posts
Default Try this.

I've just unblocked a matrix that was hard to clear, I filled it half full of hot water, and then holding it between the pipes and wearing a thick glove I wafted a blowtorch over the fins. I found that with the water inside it cleared once it was boiling, you can hear it expanding rapidly and then the water pushes the crud through, repeat the process two or three times and the water becomes clear. It's made an old and very clogged matrix clean again.
Saga Lout is offline   Reply With Quote