Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 24th November 2020, 12:51   #1
Lancpudn
This is my second home

MG ZS EV

Thanked 3,427 Times in 2,565 Posts
Default BSA motorcycles being revived!

Mahindra are set to bring back the old BSA marque in 2021. "It plans to build its BSA bikes in the U.K.. Starting in 2021, modern Beezers will come in two flavors— an internal combustion-powered model and an electric model. These bikes will be developed at BSA’s new technical and design center in Banbury, Oxfordshire, and built in a factory near Coventry. According to the Financial Times, BSA estimates it will create nearly 300 jobs with these new facilities."

https://www.rideapart.com/news/45541...e-coming-2021/

Blessed are the tea makers.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3b...auto-2000_auto
Lancpudn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2020, 13:40   #2
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

They have managed to make Triumphs but they are more Japanese quality then British.

Here is BSA Southampton so as the name exists I wonder how they will get on using it on a motorbike

macafee2
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BSA.jpg (20.1 KB, 35 views)
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2020, 19:19   #3
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancpudn View Post
Mahindra are set to bring back the old BSA marque in 2021. "It plans to build its BSA bikes in the U.K.. Starting in 2021, modern Beezers will come in two flavors— an internal combustion-powered model and an electric model. These bikes will be developed at BSA’s new technical and design center in Banbury, Oxfordshire, and built in a factory near Coventry. According to the Financial Times, BSA estimates it will create nearly 300 jobs with these new facilities."

Your picture. Brings back memories as that was my first motorbike in 1954 with girder forks exactly like that too.
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2020, 14:16   #4
roverbarmy
This is my second home

Roverless + 1.7D Sportage

Thanked 2,021 Times in 1,449 Posts

I had to do several "modifications" to make my Royal Star rideable. The points were made of cheese and kept closing. The clutch was so heavy that your fingers froze in the middle of summer. The brakes should have been called retarders! I suppose that we didn't go that far in the sixties!

With electronic ignition, a seven plate clutch with ball raced thrust bearing and a twin leading shoe set up, it was much better!

If they can "modernise" them and keep them oiltight, they may be onto something. However, if the "new" Royal Enfields are anything to go by, I doubt it!
Old 26th November 2020, 08:49   #5
Avulon
This is my second home

1.8t Tourer

Thanked 1,148 Times in 916 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancpudn View Post

Hardly a revival, heck it's not even exhuming the corpse. It's just a new company trying to trade off of the old name.

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
They have managed to make Triumphs but they are more Japanese quality then British.

Here is BSA Southampton so as the name exists I wonder how they will get on using it on a motorbike

macafee2

Good job too, Along with performance improvements, it was the better quality of japanese motorcycle imports that sunk the british bike industry.

Where?:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanelorn
Mods/Retrofits:

PCV vortex 'filter'; bluetooth; inline thermostat; reversing sensors; plenum spyhole ; headlamp washers ; Diy mp3 player replacing CD multichanger; FBH with remote; Headlamp washers; black/chrome front grille, rear blind; Xenon projectors
To do:
puddle lights; 2 Din cd/nav to fit; boot release button
Avulon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2020, 12:51   #6
Avulon
This is my second home

1.8t Tourer

In reference to modern Triumph motorcycles I did say:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avulon View Post
Good job too, Along with performance improvements, it was the better quality of japanese motorcycle imports that sunk the british bike industry.

Which is correct as far as it goes. But I should stress that IMO the quality of the current Triumph line-up does not match that of the major japanese manufacturers as of now.

All production Triumph motorcycles are now built in Thailand. Not only that, the designs often leave much to worry about. E.G a new ignition switch module needing replacment on a speedmaster requires the engine to be removed first! (the ignition switch module being the smallest available part of the ignition switch).

Where?:
Mods/Retrofits:

PCV vortex 'filter'; bluetooth; inline thermostat; reversing sensors; plenum spyhole ; headlamp washers ; Diy mp3 player replacing CD multichanger; FBH with remote; Headlamp washers; black/chrome front grille, rear blind; Xenon projectors
To do:
Old 26th November 2020, 16:47   #7
torque2me
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avulon View Post
In reference to modern Triumph motorcycles I did say:

All production Triumph motorcycles are now built in Thailand. Not only that, the designs often leave much to worry about. E.G a new ignition switch module needing replacment on a speedmaster requires the engine to be removed first! (the ignition switch module being the smallest available part of the ignition switch).
Crikey, I hadn't heard of that move - still thought they were in Leicestershire (only saw one of them docu tv series of which one episode was the production line at Triumph). I guess the design team are still there.

Lots of vehicles have little "foibles" such as that which you describe. It won't be done on purpose but is usually led by the design of a/the major part/unit. Still a pig though!

Kev
torque2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2020, 12:09   #8
Avulon
This is my second home

1.8t Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by torque2me View Post
Crikey, I hadn't heard of that move - still thought they were in Leicestershire (only saw one of them docu tv series of which one episode was the production line at Triumph). I guess the design team are still there.

Lots of vehicles have little "foibles" such as that which you describe. It won't be done on purpose but is usually led by the design of a/the major part/unit. Still a pig though!

Kev

They've been manufacturing in Thailand for years, But in the last year have ceased the manufacturing they were doing at Hinckley, and moved that to Thailand as well. Now only specials (and there's only a handful a year) will be assembled in the UK. If the design isn't on purpose that's as good as saying nothing is. Of course it's on purpose. The design, as with many modern vehicles gives no consideration at all for maintenance or repair and is purely concerned with assembly times on the production line.

Where?:
Mods/Retrofits:

To do: