Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 23rd September 2020, 18:20   #1
Mogodon
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 135+ Diesel Auto Mk2. Nisan Micra 1.4 SVE Auto.

Question Siezed spark plugs removal ?????

My trusted garage have rung to say they can't get the spark plugs out my Micra, and didn't want to risk snapped plugs or damaged head, and we're unwilling to carry on without my permission.

Told them to leave it for now.

Any tips from the experts on here how to get them out please.
Plenum spyhole mod. Powerflow backbox. 11 spoke alloys repainted Black Sparkle. Black Expansion tank. Drivers side cup holder. PPD carpeted heater box sides. Illuminated sun visors, PPD Door reflectors. PPD Seatbelt lower mount bolt covers. PPD Drivers grab handle. Cubby rechargeable torch and power socket. FBH retro-fitted. FBH engine pre-heater mod done. Electric rear Sunblind. Tow bar. Flip key. MGR towing mirrors and Saloon roof bars.

Hand Built in Birmingham
Mogodon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2020, 18:48   #2
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Lots of plusgas while the engine is cold then warm it up to running temperature then go for it!
Old 23rd September 2020, 18:57   #3
Saga Lout
This is my second home

MG ZT and Rover 75,

Thanked 2,685 Times in 1,037 Posts
Default Heat and Patience.

I learned from a master, warm up the engine till it's very hot and then tighten the plugs a degree. If the plugs move then it's a quarter turn to undo and then tighten again, the next turn will go beyond the quarter turn and back again, repeat until free. If you think you've damaged a thread then you get an old plug, cut a V shape into it right to the end of the threads at 45 degrees and pack the V with some sticky grease, it then makes a tap to renew the thread and catches any stray swarf.
Saga Lout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2020, 12:26   #4
egremont
Loves to post

Rover 75 Connoisseur SE. Auto. Saloon. SE

Default A little bit of copper grease helps.

Our local workshop proprietor (and member of our local club) smears a dab of copper grease on the threads. Also on parts such as wheel nuts. Never seems to have any trouble extracting items prepped this way.
egremont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2020, 20:12   #5
RogerHeinz57
I really should get out more.......

A Reasonably Priced Car

Thanked 1,064 Times in 712 Posts

Injector crack spray (Available from ECP)
Used to free off injectors that are seized in place.
RogerHeinz57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2020, 14:20   #6
Avulon
This is my second home

1.8t Tourer

Thanked 1,148 Times in 916 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by egremont View Post
Our local workshop proprietor (and member of our local club) smears a dab of copper grease on the threads. Also on parts such as wheel nuts. Never seems to have any trouble extracting items prepped this way.

Grease on spark plug threads, even copper grease can be an effective insulator preventing the plug from earthing (cue several hours trying to work out why an engine won't start) a small smear can be got away with - but not needed. Grease should never be needed on either spark plugs or wheel bolts/nuts.

Where?:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanelorn
Mods/Retrofits:

PCV vortex 'filter'; bluetooth; inline thermostat; reversing sensors; plenum spyhole ; headlamp washers ; Diy mp3 player replacing CD multichanger; FBH with remote; Headlamp washers; black/chrome front grille, rear blind; Xenon projectors
To do:
puddle lights; 2 Din cd/nav to fit; boot release button
Avulon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2020, 15:33   #7
AndrewJames
Loves to post

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saga Lout View Post
I learned from a master, warm up the engine till it's very hot and then tighten the plugs a degree. If the plugs move then it's a quarter turn to undo and then tighten again, the next turn will go beyond the quarter turn and back again, repeat until free. If you think you've damaged a thread then you get an old plug, cut a V shape into it right to the end of the threads at 45 degrees and pack the V with some sticky grease, it then makes a tap to renew the thread and catches any stray swarf.
I am by no means an expert but I do own a Micra if that qualifies me in any way. I was going to write a comment but can see that Saga Lout has basically written what I was going to about loosening, then tightening etc. The only thing I would add is to make sure you have the right sized socket and make sure it is properly on the spark plug. Last thing you want is a seized AND rounded plug.
AndrewJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2020, 20:26   #8
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by egremont View Post
Not a lot of use to the guy with the seized in plugs to help him get them out.-----Go stand in the corner.-------------------------
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2020, 20:30   #9
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avulon View Post
Grease on spark plug threads, even copper grease can be an effective insulator preventing the plug from earthing (cue several hours trying to work out why an engine won't start) a small smear can be got away with - but not needed. Grease should never be needed on either spark plugs or wheel bolts/nuts.
Grease on a plugs threads, ( It will be thin if the plug is up tight. ) won't be any kind of barrier to 25,000 plus volts.-----

A shocking reply, but true.----
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2020, 21:42   #10
mh007
This is my second home

MG ZT260 SE, MG ZT190+, MG ZTT 160, R75 Conn SE 2.0, R75 Conn SE 2.5 X 3, R75 Club SE 1.8, P5B Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saga Lout View Post

As above, the way I've always done it
mh007 is offline   Reply With Quote