Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 16th October 2020, 10:38   #1
Armymick

75 cdti saloon

Default Cdti 75 cam or crank sensor

My 05 Cdti with 186k has developed a starting problem and forums say it is crank or cam sensor is there a way of testing each one. Mine starts sometimes no problem then the next it won’t . It’s an auto so could it be the parking adjustment? it will always start in the end but would rather it would fire up. The battery is new and no water ingress anywhere.Any ideas p,ease.
Armymick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2020, 10:44   #2
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

When you get it started does it then run OK.---If it does then your crank sensor is fine.---

Could be one of the other two things you mentioned that's the problem.
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2020, 11:13   #3
coab
This is my second home

2007 57 GOLF GTi EDITION 30 DSG

Thanked 1,452 Times in 852 Posts

Crank sensors tend to fail when the car gets warm. If when the car is warm it will not start but an hour or so later it does it the cam or crank sensor. Diagnostic wise they talk to each other and it has been known to show as correlation between the two to show up.
coab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2020, 11:15   #4
squall89
Regular poster

ROVER 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armymick View Post
My 05 Cdti with 186k has developed a starting problem and forums say it is crank or cam sensor is there a way of testing each one. Mine starts sometimes no problem then the next it won’t . It’s an auto so could it be the parking adjustment? it will always start in the end but would rather it would fire up. The battery is new and no water ingress anywhere.Any ideas p,ease.
I had the same problem.

in my case it happens with higher probability when the car was warm (switched half an hour or 1 hour before)
squall89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2020, 11:29   #5
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Quote:

As mentioned, if the car runs OK once started the crank sensor is fine. The ECM constantly uses the crank sensor to time the fuel injector firing. The cam sensor is only used at start up to let the ECM know the cam position as the cams only go round once for every two revolutions of the crankshaft. Once it references the camshafts position it ignores the cam sensor until the next start sequence.

If a new cam sensor doesn't cure it then do an injector leakback test - you may have one or more leaking injectors which causes the same starting problems.
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2020, 15:16   #6
Yorkshire GOC
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 connoisseur se v6 auto

Quote:

If she fails to start again - look at the Rev Counter - if that stays completely still it points to a failing crank sensor - if it flickers then i would be inclined to go with the Cam sensor / injector leak back.

The Silver Machine was the 13th of 160 Rover 75's to come off the production line that day and is the 100th of 527 Starlight Silver Rover 75 2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE Auto saloons listed in the build records produced world wide.
Yorkshire GOC is offline   Reply With Quote