Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 1st November 2020, 18:57   #1
trebor
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDTi Connoisseur SE & MG ZT Saloon 190

Thanked 1,877 Times in 885 Posts
Default Oil Cooler Woes ( Oil in coolant)

Well recently on checking my coolant level on my 75 Diesel I discovered lots of oil mixed with water on the header tank cap

Car has done 196, 000, but as failure of head gaskets are unheard of with this engine, surely there has to be another explanation.

Thanks to Arctic for pointing me in the direction of the oil cooler as that is what myself and Steve (Devilish) tackled recently, it sits at the front of the engine and has 1 coolant pipe entering it.

There are 2 gaskets that can be replaced the one on the oil cooler itself and another that sits behind the cylinder block and the oil filter adapter

First of all had to drain the coolant to find this, where oil had got into the coolant and was forming in globules, note the sludge dripping out of the bottom hose

I then flushed the system first of all with Holts which wasn’t very effective as the oil was still separate from the water and I needed it to mix as there was a lot of sludge at various places including the in line stat which I removed cleaned and have left out for now. So changed to Wynne’s System flush and much better as oil mixed with coolant and came out as one dark liquid.

Next step was to change the oil cooler gasket and had to remove the starter motor to get at one of the oil cooler bolts so put a refurb kit in the starter whilst it was out.

At the time I didn’t change the other gasket as hadn’t got one at that stage and it also looks like one of the bolts to come out is sitting beneath the alternator.

So since then I have kept changing the water and each time there has been less and less oil in it as hopefully the gasket has solved the problem and I am just getting rid of what was already in there, I haven’t yet put any coolant in it until I know I have solved the problem so just running the car at the moment and keeping an eye on the situation.

There are a few historical posts on the forum relating to the oil cooler (John – Number 6 for one ) but not many so please share your experience if you have some knowledge to pass on, and if you have had to do the job did 1 gasket solve the problem or did you need both ?

I will update this thread as and when I make more progress and solve the problem.

I have also had to have a clutch recently but that’s on another thread.

Robs Car Gallery

Coven near Wolverhampton WV9

2000 Cowley Built Rover 75 2.0 V6 Club SE/ Atlantic Blue/ Sandstone/Walnut (daily driver)
2003 Land Rover Freelander 1 TD4 HSE Helsinki Blue/Black Leather (swmbo daily driver)

Last edited by trebor; 2nd November 2020 at 08:08..
trebor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2020, 23:18   #2
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Hi Rob.
Nice to see you have posted the problem it will help others in the future, all you can do is keep changing the water every week or 2wks maybe use blue coolant for a while before you go back to the OAT, but that could be the reason behind the failing seals ? who knows.

Come spring i may just change out the two seals as a preventive measure.

I have a spare i could get ready to swap it out.

Just so the readers/members know here is where the oil cooler and oil filter pot is on the car.

Three torx to remove the cooler on it's own, one at the top two under at each end.

To remove the cooler and oil filter pot as one unit you have three bolts and one bolt for the oil dip stick.

Oil dip stick bolt.

Which allows you to remove the dip stick tube from the sump.

Remove the three bolts holding the oil filter pot to the engine

Removed from the car engine as an whole unit.

The small gasket between the cooler and the pot.

PS we may have to do some virtual meets on the Nano, people can ask which is best way to do a certain job, and we could answer, maybe sort out some virtual meet dates when we can be around to answer?

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "

Last edited by Arctic; 1st November 2020 at 23:22.. Reason: Photo Editing
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2020, 06:51   #3
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

thank you for this post, if I had found oil in the coolant I would have collapsed with shock. At least now I will look at the gasket you mention.

I don't recall seeing a thread about a diesel having oil in the water so is this a very rare event?

macafee2

Last edited by macafee2; 2nd November 2020 at 06:53..
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2020, 08:12   #4
trebor
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDTi Connoisseur SE & MG ZT Saloon 190

Thanked 1,877 Times in 885 Posts

It is rare yes but as our cars do more and more miles and are kept on the road it may become more common.

Thanks to Steve for posting the pictures

Robs Car Gallery

Coven near Wolverhampton WV9

2000 Cowley Built Rover 75 2.0 V6 Club SE/ Atlantic Blue/ Sandstone/Walnut (daily driver)
2003 Land Rover Freelander 1 TD4 HSE Helsinki Blue/Black Leather (swmbo daily driver)
trebor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2020, 22:25   #5
janker
Loves to post

Rover 75 Saloon & MGZT 190

Thanks for taking the time to post and something to keep a lookout for.

My New Addition
MGZT 190 Trophy Blue 2001 Petrol.
janker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2020, 17:44   #6
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor View Post
It is rare yes but as our cars do more and more miles and are kept on the road it may become more common.

Thanks to Steve for posting the pictures

Did you pressure test the heat exchanger Rob, or could you see that the gasket was leaking?
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2020, 19:14   #7
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

Hi Rob. Were there no signs being given off that something was amiss?
No high temps or on checking the dipstick! Oil consumption? Let’s hope you have caught it before it causes any long term effects.
Old 3rd November 2020, 19:37   #8
Mickyboy
SERVICING AND DEALER DIAGNOSTICS

MG ZT CDTI 135 + & MGZT CDTI AUTO 160 & ROVER 75 TOURER CDTI 160 TROPHY YELLOW

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,141 Posts

Been there recently, Tesco value washing powder is great for cleaning all the hoses
Mick
Jobs done : new UBP, Spy hole mod, Rear hub(wheel bearing),plenum cleaned and emptied, Inline thermostat fitted,Full service, In car Digital tv/DVD Bluetooth Satnav etc, Replaced UBP, Restored headlights,Fixed airbag connection.replaced HP pump,replaced rear light seals,changed intercooler O rings.

Jobs to do: ,replace drivers lock,.
[/SIZE]
Mickyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2020, 03:35   #9
It runs
Avid contributor

Rover 75 saloon

When the oil cooler failed on my previous one it wasn't the gasket.
The oil cooler had developed a small leak internally and the oil was passing into the water from inside the cooler.
When it was removed I cleaned it and put air pressure through the water hose fitment and blocked the other end I held in a bucket of water and I could see small bubbles coming from the oil side.
Took ages to clean I used ( and I am not saying you should)
A few caps of non foaming carpet cleaner.
Downside of lots of oil in the water . And their is never a good side by the way
Is this . You may start having water hose failure.
The oil damages the hoses from the internal heat mixed with the water.
Mine was plauged with it right upto me (scrapping the car)
That's not why I scrapped it but it was a deciding factor at mot time when it needed a brake pipe /wishbones and a couple of other bits, as it was only a matter of time before I had a leak behind the dash.
I did have a serious amount of oil in the water by the way so don't panic.
It was a great opportunity to get a copper leaf with sandstone trim
Keep an eye on your oil level and don't just presume it's the old oil in the water
Old 4th November 2020, 05:06   #10
kaiser
This is my second home

75 Tourer 2.5 Auto, 1.8T, 75V8ZT

There is of course the added possibility, that you might have an additional head gasket failure, that will in some cases give similar symptoms, and could explain failing hoses.
I have a V6 that now displays water loss, a bit of mayo under the oil filler cap and, it seems, slight residual pressure in the cooling system.
So far I have found a tiny leak on the radiator. Next I am going to bypass the oil cooler.
I hope the head gaskets are OK.