Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 4th March 2023, 08:47   #1
davidbooker
Gets stuck in

'51 Rover 75 2.5 V6 Conn. Purchased 02/05

Default Brake Pipe Routing

My 75 failed its MOT last week because the brake pipes adjacent to the fuel tank are suspect. I've owned the car for over eighteen years, and I thought that all the steel brake pipes were replaced with copper years ago. However, these were apparently connected to the now failed ones to save time.
The garage says that the entire pipe run must be replaced, and the fuel tank and exhaust will require dropping, involving considerable labour.
My question is, why can't they just replace the old steel pipes and connect them to the good piping using a flaring tool? This was obviously the method used before.
Also, is there a more economical way of replacing the bad pipes by rerouting them around the tank, or by direct access from inside the car.
Before I came to Whitby I used to do all my own maintenance, and I had ramps, axle stands, a brake flaring tool, Gunsons Eezibleed etc., which enabled me to pass MOTs. All this equipment, and more, was stolen when I arrived in Whitby, so I tend to leave most work to garages nowadays. Despite my mechanical engineering training and huge experience prior to my doing podiatry, car mechanics seem to treat me like a car ignoramus, and I find this extremely annoying and insulting. That's why I like this forum for its friendly, unprejudiced, no nonsense advice.
Many thanks, David 😀
davidbooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2023, 09:09   #2
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Hi David.
Yes the brake pipe can be matched up to the existing copper pipe, but the fuel tank and exhaust will need to be lowered to gain access to replace the old steel pipe.

Find a decent garage it should cost no more than £120 including pipe.

Read from post 77 onwards
https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/for...=320142&page=8

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2023, 10:44   #3
suzublu
This is my second home

rover 75 1.8 vvc club se wedgwood blue

Thanked 7,142 Times in 4,642 Posts

When I did mine, just shaped the pipe to match the one over the tank, then slid it over. Well, my mechanic did 😎

Sent from my SM-A326B using Tapatalk
suzublu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2023, 12:54   #4
davidbooker
Gets stuck in

Thanks for your replies. Is re-routing the pipes around the tank, (thereby leaving the corroded ones in situ) a plausible solution? I'm not sure where the locating clips would be placed, and more piping would probably be needed, but I recall reading of the idea somewhere as a safe alternative.
Old 4th March 2023, 13:15   #5
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

It's my understanding that brake pipes don't have to follow the original route. So, they can be routed in any way you want, provided they are well supported and clear of the suspension. I'm pretty sure this can be checked with online information about the MOT test and rules.

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2023, 10:46   #6
Pete
Owners Club Director

Rover 75

The fuel tank and exhaust don't need to be removed to do replace the brake line, just dropped. I can't recall anyone re-routing the rear line, and to be honest once you've taken the time figure out a new route that somehow gets round the tank and between the rear suspension, plus put in new clips to hold it in place, you would have put the line in the original route.

Just going beyond your issue for a moment David as brake lines are a safety issue. Abraiding them to remove corrosion is dangerous as this weakens the outer wall, particularly on bends and near joints. And as I've changed 3 of these in the past, and 2 of them were corroded over the top of the fuel tank, it is not safe to assume that the section you can't see is going to be fine. On that point I have removed a post from this thread which made suggestions to this effect.

Follow The Club On Twitter
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2023, 12:19   #7
davidbooker
Gets stuck in

Thanks Pete
As you say, I think the original routing is the best way forward. Most of the other piping has been replaced with copper over the years (I've owned her for eighteen,) so should this need replacing again? I thought it would last indefinitely.
Many thanks for your help, DVid
Old 6th March 2023, 12:34   #8
shiner
Regional Secretary London South & West

David. Just replace the section from the hose to the joiners at the front end by the drivers footwell area. Removes the need to retain additional unions.

Sent from my 2201116SG using Tapatalk

Andy
T4.KV6 belt special tools
[2002 MG ZT 2.5 177 manual Starlight silver
2004 MG ZT-T 1.8T 160 manual green
shiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2023, 07:47   #9
Pete
Owners Club Director

Rover 75

I've used Copper in the past and, while it's fine, personally I'm a little wary of it. That's due to it needing care not to overwork or crack it when getting it to the correct shape, plus with vibration etc it can harden over time. For that reason I prefer to use Kunifer, which is what is (slowly) appearing on my Land Rover.

Follow The Club On Twitter
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2023, 08:48   #10
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post

Just going beyond your issue for a moment David as brake lines are a safety issue. Abraiding them to remove corrosion is dangerous as this weakens the outer wall, particularly on bends and near joints. And as I've changed 3 of these in the past, and 2 of them were corroded over the top of the fuel tank, it is not safe to assume that the section you can't see is going to be fine. On that point I have removed a post from this thread which made suggestions to this effect.
Couldn't agree more Pete.
I have come across brake pipe sections that look fine but are corroded where they are held by the clips. Only seen once they have been unclipped of course.
It is quite straightforward and easy enough to do the work properly if you are handy with the spanners and a not too expensive job if you entrust it to a local garage. As mentioned replace the entire section of pipe up to the original unions, follow the existing route and don't be tempted to skimp on critical safety systems.
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote