Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 14th June 2022, 11:22   #1
mbev51
Banned

Removed

Default Independence for Scotland

Hi, im not looking forward to the build up to the referendum next year. Hope it wont be as devisive as Brexit, it saddens me the thought of the Union being broken. The bar would be better at 60% but just over 50% would be enough as in previous referendums. I fully understand this drive for independence, i would guess that since leaving the EU, the leave argument is stronger. I wish them well.
mbev51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2022, 12:52   #2
another_clean_sheet
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTI Tourer

If they allowed the English to vote the will easily get over 50%.
another_clean_sheet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2022, 13:39   #3
Borg Warner
I really should get out more.......

None

It will make brexit look like a walk in the park.

Why anyone would want to divide their country like this beggers belief.

Any agreement really needs to be hammered out beforehand then voted on by all concerned, otherwise the damage will be long lasting and severe.

Last edited by Borg Warner; 14th June 2022 at 14:00..
Borg Warner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2022, 15:13   #4
wraymond
I will find or make a way

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts

I reckon there ought to be a Scottish general election first.
Old 14th June 2022, 16:34   #5
xsport
Posted a thing or two

rover 75 club se

record unemployment and hard times ahead ... everyone is patriotic but this is a massive price thats going to be put onto the heads of many unsuspecting voters. ... the last time scotland was independent , they bankrupted themselves with overseas investment that did not pay off. cap in hand to join the union and were all still here. .. scotland was never forced into joining in the first place , as most believe , but i think it it will be a big mistake to opt out. theres too much water under the bridge now , and it will take many many years to recover. still i wont be around to tell them "i told you so " ....
xsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2022, 18:04   #6
Borg Warner
I really should get out more.......

None

There are currently some 13 RN Frigates either being built or to be built in Scottish yards. BAE Systems on the Clyde have designed and are building the Type 26 frigates, while workers at Babcock at Rosyth are building Type 31 frigates. Plus there will be additional fleet support ships as well as the future replacement for the T45s. BAe and Babcock have invested an awful lot of money into the new build halls so work can continue. This are some 15000 jobs either directly or indirectly supported by this work. Independence will place these yards in a foreign country, the RN does not purchase its capital ships from foreign yards.

How will those workers deal with losing their jobs? The Scottish government can't build local ferries and are now looking to Turkiye to build them.

And of course Faslane.
Borg Warner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2022, 18:04   #7
MissMoppet
Posted a thing or two

R 75 Tourer diesel Conny 2002, V6 Conny saloon petrol 2003

Having just spent a lovely holiday over the border - and we try and go there every year - I can confirm there is universal contempt and hatred of Johnson and Westminster in general. There were few flags or notable celebrations that we saw. It always seems a different country to us: far more than say in Cardiff. Yes there will be problems but I can readily understand why they want to be more independent.
Old 27th June 2022, 07:46   #8
BobD75Rover

Rover 75

Smile Oh dear, where to start...

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsport View Post
record unemployment and hard times ahead ... everyone is patriotic but this is a massive price thats going to be put onto the heads of many unsuspecting voters. ... the last time scotland was independent , they bankrupted themselves with overseas investment that did not pay off. cap in hand to join the union and were all still here. .. scotland was never forced into joining in the first place , as most believe , but i think it it will be a big mistake to opt out. theres too much water under the bridge now , and it will take many many years to recover. still i wont be around to tell them "i told you so " ....
1707...that’s 315 years ago Scotland was last an Independent Sovereign Country, a great deal has changed but you should perhaps read your history books a bit more rather than believe English Nationalist Propaganda.
Just remember, It’s Scotland’s Oil, Gas, Water, Massive food and drinks sector with huge worldwide exports, Wind and Tidal Green Energy, all belong to Scotland, the thought should really be, if England is so All Powerful and constantly “Subsidising” Scotland, why doesn’t England want its independence, I have many family and friends in England, they’ll still be there when Scotland breaks away from a Westminster Government that will NEVER have Scottish interests at heart.

Time for Scotland to stop being bled dry by Westminster, no passports required by the way as Scotland would of course be in the Common Travel Area. The idea that the rest of the UK wouldn’t want to keep trading with Scotland is for the birds, Scotland would very much have the upper hand at the negotiating table, and for those saying Now is not the time, it’s Never going to be the time for Westminster or England, but it’s Scotland’s choice, nobody else’s.

Then of course Scotland would be heading back into the EU as an Independent country, just like the other 27 Independent countries, only this time Scotland would be at the table, not being fed crumbs by a government in England that Scotland never votes for, how smaller would Little Britain look with England burning bridges more and more, ripping up International Laws, deporting migrants to countries 4000 miles away, jeez, Scottish Independence can’t come soon enough.

It’s Scotlands choice, we are a Sovereign people.
BobD75Rover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2022, 18:23   #9
mbev51
Banned

Removed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borg Warner View Post
It will make brexit look like a walk in the park.

Why anyone would want to divide their country like this beggers belief.

Any agreement really needs to be hammered out beforehand then voted on by all concerned, otherwise the damage will be long lasting and severe.
Lets hope, unlike brexit, it is defined before the vote.
mbev51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2022, 18:29   #10
Simondi
Regional Secretary

MGTF, MG ZS EV Exclusive

Thanked 3,563 Times in 1,857 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbev51 View Post
Lets hope, unlike brexit, it is defined before the vote.
And that is what my vote will depend on
Simondi is offline   Reply With Quote