Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 10th July 2012, 11:03   #11
calibrax
Posted a thing or two

BMW 4 Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Noc View Post
Spot on Rich you don't need the glowplugs to start but if the relay (which is a relay combined with an ECU) gets waterlogged then I've read that it can cause CAN bus problems.

The glowplug relay sits next to the ECU - easy to spot once the covers are removed.

Mike
The relay is bolted to the bottom of the ECU (relay will either be white or black depending upon model year). It is correct that the glowplugs are not required - I had a problem with my relay sticking on and draining the battery overnight (the power to it is not ignition controlled for some reason), so I disconnected the relay by removing the fusible link. It was several months before I replaced it, during which we had a pretty bad winter, and I never had any problems starting the car.

2004 MG ZT+ CDTi 160 (sadly now gone!)
2015 BMW 435d GranCoupe XDrive
calibrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2012, 11:09   #12
Fubar
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Diesel Tourer

Hmmm, well, providing there is no software runnin in the relay, it can be fixed.

As to the sensor, I'll cobble something together from the ol' electronics bench. May see at some sort of float sensor with a little logic of 'if wet and if floating and if car not going over hump - problems'

Why did I not sign upto this forum straight away :/

Sam.
Fubar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2012, 11:25   #13
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fubar View Post
Hmmm, well, providing there is no software runnin in the relay, it can be fixed.

As to the sensor, I'll cobble something together from the ol' electronics bench. May see at some sort of float sensor with a little logic of 'if wet and if floating and if car not going over hump - problems'

Why did I not sign upto this forum straight away :/

Sam.
Op-amp comparator connected to a bit of veroboard as a sensor. Wire alternate tracks to one side of the input, other alternate tracks as the other pole, then fix it in a sheltered from the elements spot under the ECU.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2012, 13:21   #14
James.uk
Passed Away

2002 Pale Blue. Rover 75 CDTi Connoisseur auto. 170K miles

Failure to start (and hence proceed) is usually down to fuel problems, and if the car will start and run when easy start is applied, you can pretty much rule out elec problems..

Sounds to me as though most of the trouble you are getting is being caused by the iffy "mechanics" you have messing about with your car....
James.uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2012, 13:56   #15
Fubar
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Diesel Tourer

Agreed on fuel problems. But with cars the way they are now. It need only be touching a limit of what the ECU considers a fault and bam. No engine, no power steering, no assisted breaking.

Understandable if there's a risk of explosion or major fuel leak, but they can do it just because your emissions are at risk :/

Having read some horror stories on Easystart, I don't really want to get my car hooked on the stuff. So will leave it as long as I can.

Sam.
Old 10th July 2012, 14:10   #16
rover54
Retired

rover 75 v6 Auto Conn. SE 54 plate LPG and 2006 Rover 75 v6 Auto LPG , 1.8 r75 Manual

Don't forget the plenum spyhole mod to your car so you can rod the plenum drain tubes without removing the inner cover. Plenty of info in the how to section.
rover54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2012, 16:33   #17
James.uk
Passed Away

2002 Pale Blue. Rover 75 CDTi Connoisseur auto. 170K miles

Nowt wrong with using easystart as a diagnostic tool or for an emergency, that's what it is for innit..
James.uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2012, 17:01   #18
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Yep cars don't get addicted to Easystart. It's when people get a fault and keep using it without fixing the problem.

It then gets worse as faults do that aren't fixed - nothing to do with the Easystart.

Mike
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2012, 12:24   #19
Fubar
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Diesel Tourer

Well, after having taken it back to the garage and an interesting time with the courtesy car. They've made progress.

Injectors 2 and 4 had excessive leakback and have been refurbed. He also found that the fuel rail pressure sensor conector was loose (apprarently normally a landrover problem) and fitted a replacement loom. It now starts first time with almost no cranking. Yay

But now if he revs it over 3000prm. The engine cuts out. Current thoughts are:
-Injectors 1 and 3 are now out of spec.
-MAF giving too low of a signal to maintain high revs.
-Fuel pressure sensor faulty (as per original but 1 diagnostic).
-Pump gone. However, they both primed ok previously.

Any thoughts guys?
Cheers, Sam.
Old 25th July 2012, 12:39   #20
David3807
Posted a thing or two

2002 R75 Conn SE 2.5l Auto Tourer, 2001 R75 Conn SE 2.5 Auto Saloon

I am on the petrol side of this forum but from what I have read if you suspect a maf problem just disconnecting the MAF will force the car to a default setting. This may not give perfect running but at worst should only give bad fuel consumption.

If there is no change with connecting/ disconnecting the MAF then that is probably not part of the problem.

HTH
David3807 is offline   Reply With Quote