Can I just say thanks to the moderators for making this a sticky as well
Old 27th February 2014, 17:58   #52
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

Thanked 7,017 Times in 4,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcat View Post
Is it a selfy or did Jessica take it Phil?
The composition is pleasing with the horizon at one third down the frame and yourself off to one side.
Obviously the camera sensor etc has its limitations but the shot makes me want to be going for a dip so it hits the right buttons for me!
It was a self-shot Jeff as Jessica could not wait to get into the water and said so! lol

One of the problems I am struggling with, I will post up. I am not sure if it is the limitations of the camera or what. I will have to look for a few photos and you will see what I mean. The camera is a Canon 40SX HS bridge. I welcome comments
Gate Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2014, 19:43   #53
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

Here are 2 photos. I am hoping you will be able to spot what is wrong with them. The top one is of a Starling and the bottom one is of Bustard. Thanks again

Old 27th February 2014, 21:04   #54
Canonite
This is my second home

BMW 330d Tourer, MG ZT 180 SE XPG, VW Polo 6R 1.2 TDI Bluemotion

Nothing jumps out Phil. Both very nice shots, i'm not sure what focal length you were shooting at and having owned numerous SX superzooms I know they can suffer from noise, fringing and softness at longer focal lengths.
Could do with a little more space to the right of the Starling so it looks like he's going somewhere, there's nice depth of field so i'm assuming because of the background blur its shot at the long end of the zoom at f7.1 or f8.

The first thing I do when editing is to tweak the framing by cropping it to being more pleasing to the eye.

What is it you think is wrong with them mate?
Canonite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2014, 21:15   #55
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

Much appreciated Alan. Thanks for jumping in, your advice has been taken on board. I like the idea of the Starling going somewhere. I will use this next time

I think the photos lack clarity and I would like them to be able to pick up more details in the feathers and not too much noise. I had uploaded them from Adobe Light Room 4 without doing too much post editing.

Behind all of this, is this question. Is it the limitations of the sensor, or is the 12.1 mp range adequate for what I am expecting? I was not close to the little birdies when I took the shots.

Last edited by Gate Keeper; 27th February 2014 at 21:18.. Reason: added
Old 27th February 2014, 21:30   #56
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

The Bustard was shot at ISO 1600, f/5.8, 1/200 sec, 150.5mm, at just after 6pm
Old 27th February 2014, 21:37   #57
Canonite
This is my second home

BMW 330d Tourer, MG ZT 180 SE XPG, VW Polo 6R 1.2 TDI Bluemotion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gate Keeper View Post
Much appreciated Alan. Thanks for jumping in, your advice has been taken on board

I think the photos lack clarity and I would like them to be able to pick up more details in the feathers and not too much noise. I had uploaded them from Adobe Light Room 4 without doing too much post editing.

Behind all of this, is this question. Is it the limitations of the sensor, or is the 12.1 mp range adequate for what I am expecting? I was not close to the little birdies when I took the shots.
I dont think you should be too disheartened Phil, they're very good. The problem is, as with all superzooms is basically cramming so much of a usable zoom range into such a small lens body, and the information it captures being processed through a tiny tiny sensor.
The SX40 can record a 35mm equivalent maximum zoom of 840mm....the Canon 800mm f5.6 lens is a beast, and comes with a £10,000 price tag.

How do Canon cram the capabilities of a £10k lens into a camera that costs £400...it's simple...they cant. So compromises have to be made.

I hope you don't mind, I have done a quick edit of the Starling, basically a crop...contrast tweak, saturation and a bit of sharpening.

A few small tweaks can make a big difference.

Last edited by Canonite; 27th February 2014 at 21:40..
Canonite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2014, 21:38   #58
sworks
Been absent for a while…

Rover 75 Tourer, Classic mini Cooper S, Abarth 595 competizione, MG TF and a Hyundai Tucson PHEV

Thanked 1,686 Times in 1,040 Posts

12.1 mp is more than plenty, that's way more than I have Lightroom is a fantastic editing programme!

Nice edit Alan

'Marmite' Possibly one of the most famous 75 tourers produced! left the production line as the last of only Three Rover 75 tourers produced in Trophy Yellow. 48 hours later Longbridge closed. The last sold ordered 75 Tourer. Paid for by the Phoenix Four and handed over by John Towers to the Warwickshire Northampton Air ambulance service as a Rapid Response vehicle

Last edited by sworks; 27th February 2014 at 21:40..
sworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2014, 21:46   #59
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

I have to say, I prefer your interpretation of the Starling to mine, with certainty it is more dramatic. Thank you Sir!

I accept your points about the £10,000 lens and must remember, I should not expect the same quality from a lower spec camera. Makes sense thinking about it I must close here Alan as it is way past my bed time. Bye for now.
Old 27th February 2014, 21:49   #60
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

The physical size of the sensor comes into play if you compare a dslr to a bridge/compact. The dslr is approximately 6 times larger. 6 times larger pixels 6 times more light gathering ability ;-) . Lower noise generally too at higher iso. Depth of field is also affected by this size difference. A rule of thumb I use,is f2.8 is similar to f8 on dslr.

After this zoom will affect the dof, which is why your images really pop. I think both images are striking and aside from the space already mentioned I wouldn't change anything.

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote