Notices

Old 20th July 2014, 05:49   #121
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

Thanked 7,017 Times in 4,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canonite View Post
I shot the two macros with a pretty basic set up, on my old Canon SX30 with a close up lens screwed on the front. The depth of field is ridiculous so you have to be very precise.
It's a lot of fun though

Hi Alan

Thanks for telling us how you managed to take such excellent photos using a close up lens on your old Canon SX30 - a great bridge camera in my opinion I am yet to experiment with macro photography and learn about it. I appreciate your experience and tips.
Gate Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2014, 06:55   #122
coolcat
This is my second home

Audi Q3 TDI S-Line Quattro

Thanked 12,235 Times in 8,232 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gate Keeper View Post
Good morning Jeff, a very nice HDR image.

A photo which otherwise had started off as dull and uninteresting. I thought how could I change this, which would do justice to the seascape and capture the feeling of an impending storm in that moment

When I posted up the photo on Facebook it received many positive comments and likes from friends around the world, people who know what they like and who are not necessarily professional/amateur photographers themselves.

I have known some photographers to poo poo HDR and make snide comments dismissing it as a tool used to cover up mistakes. A kind of snobbery. Fortunately not everyone agrees
Attachment 37230
Nothing wrong with doing HDR Phil
It is just another tool to use to get the image you want.
It's no different to cloning out unwanted parts of a scene, adding a different sky,
Selective cropping etc etc.
They are all image manipulation, heck even adding different filters on the lens is manipulation
What matters is whether you like the end result Sir, doesn't matter what the purist may think as it isn't sitting in their photo album!
I for one love the colours and vibrancy in the scene, as said before it looks like a painting and makes you want to be there
Old 20th July 2014, 07:37   #123
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcat View Post
Nothing wrong with doing HDR Phil
It is just another tool to use to get the image you want.
It's no different to cloning out unwanted parts of a scene, adding a different sky,
Selective cropping etc etc.
They are all image manipulation, heck even adding different filters on the lens is manipulation
What matters is whether you like the end result Sir, doesn't matter what the purist may think as it isn't sitting in their photo album!
I for one love the colours and vibrancy in the scene, as said before it looks like a painting and makes you want to be there

Thank you Jeff for saying that. Your comments are most welcomed and heart felt In the past 6 months, I have learned how to understand layering, something previously, I failed to get my head round. How to do a shoot at high speed is something I have seen you do, when we were at Brands Hatch at the end of March.

Taking photographs of cars going past you so fast with such accuracy is quite challenging to say the least I learnt much from you that day
Old 20th July 2014, 08:43   #124
coolcat
This is my second home

Quote:
Thank you Jeff for saying that. Your comments are most welcomed and heart felt In the past 6 months, I have learned how to understand layering, something previously, I failed to get my head round. How to do a shoot at high speed is something I have seen you do, when we were at Brands Hatch at the end of March.

Taking photographs of cars going past you so fast with such accuracy is quite challenging to say the least I learnt much from you that day
I found the long walk due to normal car park full up the most challenging part of the day
It was a lovely day and the weather was kind to us.
Was great to finally meet Derek and his two Grandsons as well

Speaking of that meet, here's a photo from the day for critique.....

Last edited by coolcat; 20th July 2014 at 09:44..
coolcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2014, 11:39   #125
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

Good afternoon Paul (Rocket) I have missed seeing your photos and hope you will be doing us the pleasure of sharing them with us again here or on another thread
Old 20th July 2014, 21:36   #126
Rocket
Posted a thing or two

ROVER 75 CONNOISSEUR SE HIGHLINE TOURER MANUAL 2.5 V6

Thanks Phil, hope you are well.

I have not taken a single picture yet this year, I must try harder.

I have put a new clutch master cylinder and a handbrake compensator in the car though.

http://www.paulstickley.com/
Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2014, 07:14   #127
coolcat
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket View Post

I have put a new clutch master cylinder and a handbrake compensator in the car though.
Hi Paul,

The sun is shining and the sky is blue
Time to bolt that polariser on and get out there Sir, we miss your stunning landscape and wildlife photos
Old 22nd July 2014, 05:55   #128
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcat View Post
I found the long walk due to normal car park full up the most challenging part of the day
It was a lovely day and the weather was kind to us.
Was great to finally meet Derek and his two Grandsons as well

Speaking of that meet, here's a photo from the day for critique.....

Good morning Jeff, you could have the angle going down the other way not do steep and if you had cropped less of image from the right hand side, it would have created a sense of direction of the cars moving on ahead from left to right and lastly, HDR would have brought out more details out of the metal, glass and some more of the drivers
Old 22nd July 2014, 06:01   #129
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket View Post

It is great to hear back from you Paul, I was getting worried that your were poorly or someone had something negative as can happen. I am in the UK in a few weeks time and hope to take some photos at the meets and various locations: seaside, countryside. I hope the weather holds up
Old 22nd July 2014, 07:14   #130
coolcat
This is my second home

Quote:
Good morning Jeff, you could have the angle going down the other way not do steep and if you had cropped less of image from the right hand side, it would have created a sense of direction of the cars moving on ahead from left to right and lastly, HDR would have brought out more details out of the metal, glass and some more of the drivers
Morning Phil,

As you will have seen in other photos from Brands Hatch I play with the tilt angles in both directions and angle of attack as if you are taking from the same location it adds a bit of variety
Panning and getting both cars in shot the (in camera) crop has to be tight there as if you remember there's trees either side so theres not much scope for a more open shot unless you want some foliage in there as well

HDR is a complete no no with high speed panning really, it is a tool for non moving subjects
I could have edited the photo boosting levels and saturation and a bit of sharpness but that shot is an unmolested straight off the camera shot