Notices

Old 31st October 2015, 09:02   #211
coolcat
This is my second home

Audi Q3 TDI S-Line Quattro

Thanked 12,235 Times in 8,232 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil th Barrow View Post
Yes that would be nice. Bought a 9 ink A3 + years ago.. Can I get it to do a perfect colour match... NOOOOOO. Does it do detail YESSSSS. Enjoy.
Have you calibrated your monitor ?

My friend owns a local printers here in Clacton so I've always got him to do my large prints but I fancy playing at home .
Of course anything larger than A3 I shall be knocking on his door still
Old 31st October 2015, 17:31   #212
Phil th Barrow
Gets stuck in

" NOW SOLD" :-( Rover 75 Conni Auto SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcat View Post
Have you calibrated your monitor ?

My friend owns a local printers here in Clacton so I've always got him to do my large prints but I fancy playing at home .
Of course anything larger than A3 I shall be knocking on his door still
Yes iv attempted to calibrate with colour monkey ect years ago but failed.
To th average person its great but when using my Eizo monitor (which can be hospital grade if you have deep pockets ) there is a slight difference between it and th print. If you know of a more modern/better calibrator than colour monkey please advise.
Phil th Barrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2015, 17:55   #213
coolcat
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil th Barrow View Post
Yes iv attempted to calibrate with colour monkey ect years ago but failed.
To th average person its great but when using my Eizo monitor (which can be hospital grade if you have deep pockets ) there is a slight difference between it and th print. If you know of a more modern/better calibrator than colour monkey please advise.
I'm afraid not,

I'll be at my camera club next week and I'll ask if anyone has some other recommendations
Old 31st October 2015, 18:00   #214
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

you should calibrate regularily and after a sufficient time for the monitor to fully warm up (although with LED and LCD panels, I dont think this is as much of an issue as a CRT would be).

The colour profile should loaded at start up(the PC), for the monitor and for any editing software. If it is not loaded into the editing software as you edit, then it will always be different if you only use it to print with. A copy of the image should be saved using that profile also (I always maintain the original). Then when printing, the colour profile should be used in the print driver/dialogue. Remember too, that any print will appear darker than the screen. The screen emits light, whereas the print will reflect light (and ultimately not reflect a little )

The Spyder used to be the favourite of amateurs, I have the Huey which has always been fairly accurate for my printing needs. It was reduced to £10 when I purchased it nearly 10 years ago, or else I would have had the Spyder Pro (which was £130!). The Huey stays permanently connected to allow it to monitor ambient lighting and make fine adjustments as the room lighting changes. I cannot remember if the Spyder does that.

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!

Last edited by clf; 31st October 2015 at 18:07..
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2015, 18:43   #215
Phil th Barrow
Gets stuck in

" NOW SOLD" :-( Rover 75 Conni Auto SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by clf View Post
you should calibrate regularily and after a sufficient time for the monitor to fully warm up (although with LED and LCD panels, I dont think this is as much of an issue as a CRT would be).

The colour profile should loaded at start up(the PC), for the monitor and for any editing software. If it is not loaded into the editing software as you edit, then it will always be different if you only use it to print with. A copy of the image should be saved using that profile also (I always maintain the original). Then when printing, the colour profile should be used in the print driver/dialogue. Remember too, that any print will appear darker than the screen. The screen emits light, whereas the print will reflect light (and ultimately not reflect a little )

The Spyder used to be the favourite of amateurs, I have the Huey which has always been fairly accurate for my printing needs. It was reduced to £10 when I purchased it nearly 10 years ago, or else I would have had the Spyder Pro (which was £130!). The Huey stays permanently connected to allow it to monitor ambient lighting and make fine adjustments as the room lighting changes. I cannot remember if the Spyder does that.
Yes calibrate regular is a must. Wish I had one that worked perfect. Screens go off after time in sub pixcels ect.

I guess th printers out come and try to correct by eye before th printer gets it. Costs a lot in wasted paper though. I think we all see differently any way. My wave length??? can spot magenta from 6 miles away and I hate it. Does this make me any better than anyone else Noooo, just more frustrated.

Ps, am I happy with any of my images. No but its great fun trying.... for a bit. then I go off and mend a lawn mower or somert...

Last edited by Phil th Barrow; 31st October 2015 at 18:57..
Phil th Barrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2016, 16:08   #216
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

Thanked 7,017 Times in 4,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcat View Post
I'm afraid not,

I'll be at my camera club next week and I'll ask if anyone has some other recommendations
Good afternoon Jeff, how is it going with your new Canon A3 printer?
Gate Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2016, 16:30   #217
coolcat
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gate Keeper View Post
Good afternoon Jeff, how is it going with your new Canon A3 printer?
Hi Phil,

Haven't had much time to play today but it's all plumbed in and the couple of test prints came out brilliantly .
Time to start fine tuning and calibrating things

Old 7th January 2016, 15:15   #218
coolcat
This is my second home

Took this one of my nephew over Christmas as he was just opening up his presents .

Used a bit of fill bounced flash to get some catchlight details in his eyes but other than that it's just a quickly taken grab shot before he moved on to ripping open the next present

Let me know what you think and any way of improving candid, in the moment shots .

Old 13th January 2016, 07:51   #219
coolcat
This is my second home

Anyone got any critique of the above ?
Old 13th January 2016, 08:12   #220
Rocket
Posted a thing or two

ROVER 75 CONNOISSEUR SE HIGHLINE TOURER MANUAL 2.5 V6

Missed this Jeff

If I took that one I would wish I had blurred the background a little more. I cannot see lens type or exif data so not sure what you used. Maybe that is as blurred as you can get it.

Of course with many of these spur of the moment shots, you use what you have attached to the camera.

http://www.paulstickley.com/
Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote