Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 25th October 2016, 17:59   #261
coolcat
This is my second home

Audi Q3 TDI S-Line Quattro

Thanked 12,235 Times in 8,232 Posts
Default B&W Portrait

We had a model at camera club last week and studio lighting set up.

I've been playing with B&W conversions of my shots from the night and come up with this one.

What do you guys and gals think ?

CC9J2867 by Jeff Cranwell, on Flickr
Old 25th October 2016, 20:49   #262
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

Thanked 7,017 Times in 4,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcat View Post

I've been playing with B&W conversions of my shots from the night and come up with this one.

What do you guys and gals think

Superb, I like .......

I could not detect any grain or noise in the photo Jeff. He is a model, but could easily be a member from the one of the club meets

A happy chappie
Gate Keeper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2016, 21:52   #263
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:

What do you guys and gals think ?

I love these 'earthy' greyscale shots. I prefer to think of them as black and chrome, rather than black and white or greyscale. There is a sharpness to them, and a narrative to them.

It takes a certain kind of model for these shots to work, and this guy is one of them.

There is one thing I dont like though, and it is the hand. I would prefer it without the hand, because there is a softness to the edge of the palm. I know it was a 2.8 aperture - which is quite shocking given the depth of field behind the eyes compared to the front. Is it movement?

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2016, 05:47   #264
coolcat
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by clf View Post
I love these 'earthy' greyscale shots. I prefer to think of them as black and chrome, rather than black and white or greyscale. There is a sharpness to them, and a narrative to them.

It takes a certain kind of model for these shots to work, and this guy is one of them.

There is one thing I dont like though, and it is the hand. I would prefer it without the hand, because there is a softness to the edge of the palm. I know it was a 2.8 aperture - which is quite shocking given the depth of field behind the eyes compared to the front. Is it movement?
Hi Alan,

I think it's just the depth of field with shooting wide open that has thrown his hand oof.
I was shooting hand held with my 70-200 so kept the aperture open to keep the ISO down low(ish) and maintain shutter speed whilst keeping the lighting under control.

This was taken at our camera club last week and there was thirty other members jostling for position to get some photos so it was quite a hectic shoot.......good fun though

I have got other shots with different poses which I'll post up in a separate thread a bit later
Old 26th October 2016, 11:10   #265
Rocket
Posted a thing or two

ROVER 75 CONNOISSEUR SE HIGHLINE TOURER MANUAL 2.5 V6

Great shot Jeff. I like the B & W treatment, it looks good here. My camera has a great "eye auto focus" feature - just the job for this type of shot. I don't get many shots to try it out though.

What type of lighting was set up at your club?. I am guessing it was constant as opposed to flash or you would have a job triggering it with your different cameras. Or maybe you had a game of pass the flash trigger

http://www.paulstickley.com/

Last edited by Rocket; 26th October 2016 at 11:12..
Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2016, 18:16   #266
coolcat
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket View Post
Great shot Jeff. I like the B & W treatment, it looks good here. My camera has a great "eye auto focus" feature - just the job for this type of shot. I don't get many shots to try it out though.

What type of lighting was set up at your club?. I am guessing it was constant as opposed to flash or you would have a job triggering it with your different cameras. Or maybe you had a game of pass the flash trigger
Thanks Paul,

It was indeed two constant modelling lamps plus brolly reflectors and soft box
Old 26th October 2016, 23:45   #267
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

well I havent had anything up for a very long time, and have been giving my opinion on way too many without posting in return, so I'll post a couple for now. (scrolling through some of my older shots, has made me abandon any editing recently - I have to plug in my Huey again. Even though it should be connected permanently, but I havent had it on since I cleaned up my computer desk)

My first attempt at a close up. Taken with a Fujifilm S7000. I loved this camera, even though it was so slow. At the time though, it was at the forefront for compact camera sensor noise technology.

Next Carrickfergus Castle from the side noone sees.

Below is the 'postcard' side, to me this is the boring view.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg dandelion.jpg (136.2 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg castleeve-1.jpg (131.2 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg Carrickfergus Castle.jpg (92.0 KB, 40 views)

Old 27th October 2016, 10:11   #268
coolcat
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by clf View Post
well I havent had anything up for a very long time, and have been giving my opinion on way too many without posting in return, so I'll post a couple for now. (scrolling through some of my older shots, has made me abandon any editing recently - I have to plug in my Huey again. Even though it should be connected permanently, but I havent had it on since I cleaned up my computer desk)

My first attempt at a close up. Taken with a Fujifilm S7000. I loved this camera, even though it was so slow. At the time though, it was at the forefront for compact camera sensor noise technology.

Next Carrickfergus Castle from the side noone sees.

Below is the 'postcard' side, to me this is the boring view.

I think the macro shot I can't think of anything that would improve on that, perfect capture

The castle shot I would maybe lose a little of the forground beach perhaps?
This would take the horizon off the centre even further and maybe help the composition and the eye drawn into the scene more .......maybe

I think you were right to take an alternative picture to the norm......not least because you would have had to have waders on to take the other one
Old 27th October 2016, 23:03   #269
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Quote:
I think the macro shot I can't think of anything that would improve on that, perfect capture

The castle shot I would maybe lose a little of the forground beach perhaps?
This would take the horizon off the centre even further and maybe help the composition and the eye drawn into the scene more .......maybe

I think you were right to take an alternative picture to the norm......not least because you would have had to have waders on to take the other one
Thanks Jeff, the dandelion picture is one of my favourites that I have taken. Even more so as it was one of my first close ups with effort. It needed a little white balance tweak, and a slight crop. This is the original

The sunset castle one, I have played around with it countless times, and the actual subject was actually more the beach, and groynes leading you to the castle, with the sunset adding atmosphere. But no matter what I did, it either brought the sun too close to the edge, which was distracting, or there was a lot of dead space in the lower RH corner, or upper LH corner.

This is the one I had framed.

how about a night time view? lol I had forgotten about this one, taken about a year apart if I recall, and from memory a different camera.

But here's one for critique. Shot on RAW with a polariser, pre Lightroom, so only curves and believe it or minimal saturation, the curves with the polariser did most of the work.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg dandelion original DSCF1044.jpg (129.6 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg calendar and cards.jpg (70.5 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg castle night.jpg (70.1 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg Glenoe Falls 7.jpg (143.2 KB, 32 views)

Old 31st October 2016, 12:19   #270
coolcat
This is my second home

Do like a nice waterfall, not too many round these parts

It's a very colourful scene throughout, I'm maybe thinking de saturating the foreground slightly may help to lead us into the waterfall itself ?

Also think a portrait composition may lend itself well to the scene with the stream of water acting as a leading line to the waterfall

Either way it's a lovely shot