Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 30th April 2020, 17:01   #21
Synchromesh
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon

I struggled to remove caliper bolts a few years ago. The bolt heads were corroded and I thought they were going to round off with the torque I was applying. One bolt was easier to remove than the other. Once the first bolt was out I found there was a little bit of clearance around the caliper bracket. I was able to apply torque to the second bolt whilst lightly tapping the bracket in the anticlockwise direction with a hammer. The two forces combined to release the bolt. Just ensure that as the bracket moves you stop tapping it when the end of the limited travel is reached. It is a long time ago but I think I remember holding the bolt steady and tapping the bracket back into its original position then repeating the process.
Synchromesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2020, 21:21   #22
Steady Eddy
Regular poster

Rover 75 Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
why a spanner and not a ratchet?

macafee2
I found that on the this particular job of removing the caliper bolts you could get more torque with the spanner on and not the ratchet.You are nearer to the bolt with the spanner on it.
Steady Eddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2020, 21:35   #23
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicochapman View Post
I'm a great believer in Plus Gas myself but in this instance I don't think it helps too much as the mounting bolt passes through the caliper carrier and only screws into the trailing arm. On the bolt I removed, you can see only the last section of the shank has screwed in and the Plus Gas might not reach that far.

(bit of camera distortion there)

Quote:
Anyway, I can see that Irwins are the ultimate answer but I'll give the 6 point ring spanner a go when it turns up - hope fully Friday.
As an aside, I've had EBay parts in the postal system for 15 days before they turned up. Still, plenty of time at the moment !
These seem a decent punt very similar to irwins so should do the job using a rind spanner.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Locki....c100005.m1851

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2020, 17:43   #24
chicochapman
Avid contributor

MG ZT-T

Well, the 6 point ring spanner did the trick, albeit with the square end of a 1/2" extension bar in the jaws of the spanner for extra leverage.
On removing the disc/drum, all seemed well - no broken springs, locating pins in place, shoes not worn excessively.
Then to my embarrassment, I could see that I had been moving the adjusting wheel the wrong way! Its up and over!
Anyway, handbrake seems ok on the third click although I've yet to test it out on a hill.
So I've learned a lot during the this episode, not least the helpfulness and patience of folks on this forum.
Thanks again everybody,

Malc
chicochapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2020, 19:03   #25
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

We all make mistakes. Admitting them is not a mistake.As I was told as a little sprog, the world is full of wise fools. You have just joined the biggest club in the world, along with the rest of us.